Deals were just too good...Picked this up yesterday.

8 minutes ago, duquephart said:

No such thing as timing the order right. Future incentives are unknown. The manufacturer is constantly adjusting to inventory and market conditions as well many other factors. Ordering is a crapshoot in that regard - will the incentives be more or less attractive? You can, however, control how much you are going to pay the dealer before rebates, etc. It really surprises me how little seems to be known on a vehicle specific forum about the best way to buy one.

Its not the same as rolling dice. You can look at past years. GM often offers rebates at the same times each year. With a little research you can do much better then a crap shoot. 

I have been asking people lately about ordering trucks and it seems meany people do not know it is even possible to just order what you want. 

As for negotiating the best price before them thats easy. There is no real negotiating, never pay more then 500 over invoice and no dealer handling fees.  If you cannot get that move to the next dealer. Once in a while you can find a fleet guy that will do $100 over but thats not always worth the effort. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, frenchsquared said:

Its not the same as rolling dice. You can look at past years. GM often offers rebates at the same times each year. With a little research you can do much better then a crap shoot. 

I have been asking people lately about ordering trucks and it seems meany people do not know it is even possible to just order what you want. 

As for negotiating the best price before them thats easy. There is no real negotiating, never pay more then 500 over invoice and no dealer handling fees.  If you cannot get that move to the next dealer. Once in a while you can find a fleet guy that will do $100 over but thats not always worth the effort. 

Paying "over invoice" is what folks did 35 years ago. Invoice is a phony, meaningless number that has, for all practical purposes, nothing to do with dealer cost. Those who make "over invoice" deals are fools. And dealers love fools.

30 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Paying "over invoice" is what folks did 35 years ago. Invoice is a phony, meaningless number that has, for all practical purposes, nothing to do with dealer cost. Those who make "over invoice" deals are fools. And dealers love fools.

Then your looking a the wrong invoice. I grew up in car dealerships (really). Dad managed 32 Ford stores. I learned to drive in a brand new truck and was doing dealer trades at 16 with the invoice and titles in my hands.  There is a real invoice that is to the penny what the dealer pays for the truck. In the last 10 years customer invoices have started to show up and they are fictional. But the real invoice is dead set to the cent. 

19 minutes ago, frenchsquared said:

Then your looking a the wrong invoice. I grew up in car dealerships (really). Dad managed 32 Ford stores. I learned to drive in a brand new truck and was doing dealer trades at 16 with the invoice and titles in my hands.  There is a real invoice that is to the penny what the dealer pays for the truck. In the last 10 years customer invoices have started to show up and they are fictional. But the real invoice is dead set to the cent. 

Indeed. But it is bogus. It has no bearing on manufacturer to dealer spiffs, "step plans", or whatever you choose to call them which impact the true cost. No way is invoice what the dealer actually pays. 35 years ago, not today. Any sort of decent deal is well below "invoice" ----- the fact that dealers actually talk about them now is proof that they are meaningless. Look it up.

28 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Indeed. But it is bogus. It has no bearing on manufacturer to dealer spiffs, "step plans", or whatever you choose to call them which impact the true cost. No way is invoice what the dealer actually pays. 35 years ago, not today. Any sort of decent deal is well below "invoice" ----- the fact that dealers actually talk about them now is proof that they are meaningless. Look it up.

Start here:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/what-is-the-dealer-invoice-price

12 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Your misled. The rebates and incentives are removed from the invoice price and can be applied to an ordered car. Sorry... but I know way to many guys who own car dealerships. Close friends who know way more then a blog. If you read that article... I covered everything in it. Invoice plus 500 and all rebates. Most people don't research the rebates. I had 3 dealership tell me last week there is no $2500 rebate for owning a new toyota. When there is. These dealers would have kept that money as there profit or simply let it slip. Had I gotten a Chevy I would have gotten the $2500 Toyota rebate. No idea why GM offered it, but its there. Buyer just has to do there home work. The trick is actually finding all the rebates and the invoice price. 

Every single car sold has a base price called an invoice. Believe it or don't. Wont bother me either way. 

This is fun and all, the trick to getting a good deal is being flexible. When I bought my last truck I worked 4 dealers and different brands. I ended up with my 14 GMC Texas Edition for 27K on 12/31/13. The date made a difference too. The last car I bought 8 months ago was a Camry, 17K new with 5 year 80K mile warranty 2 years free maintenance. They had too many left and a new design was coming. I trade about every two years so I had to learn the game. There’s not really too many hard fast rules, timing and flexibility gets good deals. If you keep them a long time, buy exactly what you want don’t sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got myself a pretty good deal last weekend on a 2018 LT Allstar edition. Sticker was $45,000, I think the price was $32,500 after all the rebates. Then I traded in my Lexus LS460 and that brought it down to $25,000 (the car was eleven years old with 176,000 miles).

Archived