General Motors Parts Ways With Cadillac's Johan de Nysschen

Zane

03_Desktop_Nysschen_Corp_Officers_440x458_V2[1].jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

4/18/18

General Motors has announced today that Johan de Nysschen is "leaving the company immediately."  

de Nysschen came to Cadillac from Infiniti and was famously responsible for the brands advantageous and controversial renaming. He then proceeded to do the same at Cadillac, renaming all of their cars and struggling with sales of the once leading luxury brand. 

Steve Carlisle has been named as Senior Vice President of General Motors and President of Cadillac moving forward. 

• Like 1

And the catch phrase is "once leading luxury brand". It really isn't a luxury car anymore but more of a Euro/Asian Personal Sports Sedan that has lost it's idenity. The end of the DTS ended the traditional Cadillac turning it's back on the customer base that got her there. IMHO.

Today you can spend he same money on a Cadillac as a Maserati and have half the car in terms of quality of paint, interior materials and overall fit/finish. Seriously I've seen the same paint on a Chevy Cruze or Aveo that's on the CTS.  Seriously disappointing. 

• Like 1

Think slow sales, combined with mediocre product and poor future product planning did in de Nysschen.  New crossovers were too slow coming to market and terrible advertising campaigns were not cutting it.  Need better quality product and a complete rethink for future advertising.  Not crazy about the renaming of models to XT4, CT6, etc....instead of traditional names such as Escalade, Fleetwood, Eldorado and find it confused people as well.

He may have contributed to another dismal performance but for Cadillac that is nothing new. They have been in a slow painful death spiral for going on what .....40 years now? GM should have let it die and kept Pontiac. Maybe with Pontiac they could have revived youth interest .

There is a major investor who wants to bring back the YUGO auto. They are in deep talks with him leading the charge back. He is going to try something novel and give these 2 models names . Not sure about his choice of names for these 2 new models as one is going to be named Dazed and the other one Confused.

• Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Today you can spend he same money on a Cadillac as a Maserati and have half the car in terms of quality of paint, interior materials and overall fit/finish. Seriously I've seen the same paint on a Chevy Cruze or Aveo that's on the CTS.  Seriously disappointing. 

I disagree with this 1000%  If you've ever seen a Maserati that's more than a couple years old, they discolor, peal and tear like nothing in no time at all.  People blast GM on quality, but that's mostly looks.  They tone down a lot just to keep a car that truly does last longer in terms of "quality over the years".

3 hours ago, Nargg said:

I disagree with this 1000%  If you've ever seen a Maserati that's more than a couple years old, they discolor, peal and tear like nothing in no time at all.  People blast GM on quality, but that's mostly looks.  They tone down a lot just to keep a car that truly does last longer in terms of "quality over the years".

Yes I've see a few and I stand by me earlier comment. 

My brother had a 2013 ATS w/ the 3.6L V6 - pretty cool car but, depreciated like a rock falling from the open sky... It looked pretty cool from all sides except the back IMO... Drove nice etc... I like the looks of the CTS but, outta my price range for a car for the wife and we don't care for their goofy suv deal (SRX?) then all the others are wayyyy outta our price range.... When I think of Luxury cars I think Lincoln Town Car type vehicles which I really enjoyed as a kid my Dad always had big cars, Crown Vic's, Grand Marquis', etc... I wish they still made real cars - body on frame rear wheel drive etc... Torque steer alone makes most FWD drive cars NON luxury to me, they just don't drive pleasantly....

On 4/23/2018 at 6:31 PM, Nargg said:

And, don't let the door hit you in the...

Good riddance, idiot.

The same way I feel about Carlisle leaving Oshawa...