Best Undercoating?

GM says that our trucks don't need any type of under coating. They are likely correct for the 3 yr warranty period. Some people like me want to keep there new truck for many years. So what does everyone feel is the current best rust protection? I have been thinking about spraying the underside of the truck with oil ever few years. I thought it was a crazy idea but I have seen talk of this in other threads. Personal experience has shown me that old trucks the leak a lot of oil tend to have solid floor bards. The steady oil leak stops them from rusting. 

Im not sure if a spray on bed line will stick on top of the coating the factory added. 

Whats is everyones thoughts? 

I like to keep my trucks for many years too. I have had Krown undercoating done in Upstate NY the last two years and I am very happy with it so far.  During the winter I will rinse the undercarriage a few times but no pressure washing.  Spring time I use a sprinkler to wash the undercarriage and rinse out the frame.  Then touch up areas with an aerosol can of Krown.  So far my frame looks better than other trucks in my area.

Also this past winter I have tried Salt-Away concentrate in a pressure washer reservoir to rinse off plow and trailer.  Seems to do a good job at removing the salt.  I will use it on my truck undercarriage this spring if this winter ever ends.

8 minutes ago, Doublebase said:

Anyone ever try Fluid Film? Pretty popular in my area. It's a lanolin based product, you can buy it by the can or by the gallon. Just spray it right on. Works pretty good.

Word has it Fluid Film dissolves the wax coating GM uses on our frames and takes a bad situation and makes it worse.

• Like 1

Word has it Fluid Film dissolves the wax coating GM uses on our frames and takes a bad situation and makes it worse.
I can vouch for that...the heavy bodied Fluid Film caused the coating on my 2012 to shrivel and peel off in big sheets.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

That doesn't look like rust protection. It looks like a paint protectant. 
Nah, they were originally a undercoating...they use wax on body parts and rubberized elsewhere. I had a truck with it one time, it has is pros and cons.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

18 hours ago, Doublebase said:

Anyone ever try Fluid Film? Pretty popular in my area. It's a lanolin based product, you can buy it by the can or by the gallon. Just spray it right on. Works pretty good.

Fluid film is supposed to go on bare metal. the instructions say not to get it on rubber as it can harm that. I don't know if I would use fluid film over the existing coating. But for bare steel? it works great. I put it on my plow in the spring. 3 years old, it looks like brand new yet.

Most undercoatings tend to not adhere to the factory GM wax, or so I've been told. I actually stripped the wax from my truck and had a Line-X undercoating professional sprayed. The Line-X isn't bad, but if I was doing it over again I would probably just strip it myself again (can't find a shop willing to do it) and spray with an aerosol undercoating of my choosing. I personally like the 3M undercoating, but have seen very good reviews on similar products from other brands too.

Edited by adamj2121