New Winnebago Travel Trailer!

We just sealed the deal on a new Micro Minnie 2108DS.  It appears to match all of our wants and needs for an RV in this category.  I will post pictures after we bring it home early next week.  Buying a new RV is far more difficult than buying a new truck, imo!  Once you start looking seriously you will discover there are significant added expenses you need to factor into your purchase.  We are seniors and our vision of "roughing it" has mellowed.  We ordered our unit with upgraded dual 6V batteries.  I understand this will significantly increase our power storage for non-powered sites.  Mouse proofing/undercoating was a debated upgrade but we ended up negotiating it as part of the deal.  As soon as our salesperson mentioned mouse intrusion as a consideration, reality sunk in that not all is fun and games in the RV lifestyle!   We also bought the best hitch set-up they offered.  (Anti-sway/load equalizer)  We know we still have to buy a fresh water hose and water pressure regulator.  The one thing I know for certain is that there is a lot I don't know.  This is a very huge commitment in our stage in life but we believe it will offer us a new and exciting adventure.  Do you have any tips, words of encouragement, advice that would help us keep this a positive experience?

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 1

We just sealed the deal on a new Micro Minnie 2108DS.  It appears to match all of our wants and needs for an RV in this category.  I will post pictures after we bring it home early next week.  Buying a new RV is far more difficult than buying a new truck, imo!  Once you start looking seriously you will discover there are significant added expenses you need to factor into your purchase.  We are seniors and our vision of "roughing it" has mellowed.  We ordered our unit with upgraded dual 6V batteries.  I understand this will significantly increase our power storage for non-powered sites.  Mouse proofing/undercoating was a debated upgrade but we ended up negotiating it as part of the deal.  As soon as our salesperson mentioned mouse intrusion as a consideration, reality sunk in that not all is fun and games in the RV lifestyle!   We also bought the best hitch set-up they offered.  (Anti-sway/load equalizer)  We know we still have to buy a fresh water hose and water pressure regulator.  The one thing I know for certain is that there is a lot I don't know.  This is a very huge commitment in our stage in life but we believe it will offer us a new and exciting adventure.  Do you have any tips, words of encouragement, advice that would help us keep this a positive experience?
We looked at those, settled on a small Passport. There are far more camper options than truck options...that was probably the worst experience I had buying something.

Start with short trips, get used to set up and tear down. Don't overload, it's easy to do. The other thing is that we catch ourselves overpacking...we used to take a few days to get ready with a slide-in, now we are ready in about an hour including hookup. After a while you realize just how little you need to take...

Make a list of steps if you must...my camping buddy damaged the stabilizers on his camper when he forgot to retract them prior to jacking the tongue up to hitch up. He is one disaster after another...and he isn't new to camping.

Most of our trips are weekends, I bought an emaciator pump so I don't have to wait in line to dump at the end of the weekend...just pump the sewage to a clean out at home.

We bought a carport to store ours under...leaving them exposed to the elements (especially the sun) is the hardest on them. I expect to have this one a while...even if it has a leak, it will only leak when it's being used.

Make sure you winterize early, it will always freeze before you do...found that put on the second one, buddy froze his badly last fall. The PEX tubing is very forgiving, which is a good thing.

And don't leave a case of soda in over winter...it won't end well...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Your suggestions are appreciated and ones I will follow.  I particularly concur with your comment about the buying experience.  I just got off the phone with with my salesperson and I can't take possession of my trailer for another week and a half.  When I made my initial offer, I was scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Negotiation dragged on and in the meantime my pickup appointment was given to someone else!  Now that they have my commitment,  I can stand in line!  Oh well,  I'm satisfied with our deal and am even happier to be done with the shopping!

Yesterday I arranged for storage.  I got a nice secured covered spot for a reasonable price.  I chose a facility that allowed for ample turn around and back up space.  I could have had a place much closer to home for a little more money but access was very tight but I'd rather drive a little further and not have the hassle of fighting the trailer into position.  One thing that came to mind is do I need tow mirrors with a 7' wide TT?  

Wait until you pick up the trailer to buy anything. I have always got a starter kit with every RV I have bought. It will have a hose, sewer hose, pressure reg, TP and other stuff. If they don't have one in the trailer when you do your walk thru, ask for it. Also, does your truck have a factory tow package? Makes hooking up the brake controller and 12v charge line much easier.

Edited by bagger97
  • Like 1

Yesterday I arranged for storage.  I got a nice secured covered spot for a reasonable price.  I chose a facility that allowed for ample turn around and back up space.  I could have had a place much closer to home for a little more money but access was very tight but I'd rather drive a little further and not have the hassle of fighting the trailer into position.  One thing that came to mind is do I need tow mirrors with a 7' wide TT?  
Mine is 8 foot wide, and I only have clip-over tow mirrors. If I'm really local, I don't even bother...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Fit System 80900 Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac Towing Mirror - Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ME8MZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_7uR2AbT6H4DDY

These are pretty stable...easy on and off.

My local Canadian Tire store has similar mirrors and I was tempted to buy a set.  If tow mirrors are totally unnecessary, I won't bother.  I'm kind of hoping that I'll be fine without them but better with them.  This way, I'll have justification to visit pgamboa while travelling to visit my grandchildren in the Houston area!  I went to visit our new treasure yesterday. (They added their own company tire cover but the factory black one will be returning!)

Winnebago.thumb.jpg.7e1749cb879c2ded646caf7d5b48d3d2.jpg

• Like 2

the first thing you should is join a winnebago forum, when we started camping i joined the Forrest River forum, folks on there are a wealth of knowledge and are more than willing to answer any questions you can think of 

have fun and welcome to the camping family 

5 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Not much different in size to our passport. How much does it weigh?

Nice trailer!  A few months ago we missed out on a good deal on a slightly used Passport.  This Winnie weighs 3900 lbs dry and has a 7,000 lb GVWR.

3 hours ago, DONWT15 said:

What do they do for mouse proofing? I've had those little buggers chew through pretty much anything.

Apparently it is an undercoating that seals, dries hard and is infused with a peppermint like additive.   I will see if I can get a name for the product when I pick up the trailer.  I am a little skeptical but if we were to find a mouse, and I had refused the treatment, our death till we part clause would undoubtedly be invoked by Mrs. Donstar!

4 hours ago, RP53 said:

the first thing you should is join a winnebago forum, when we started camping i joined the Forrest River forum, folks on there are a wealth of knowledge and are more than willing to answer any questions you can think of 

have fun and welcome to the camping family 

You have a nice setup.  Is it a Flagstaff?  Great camping spot too!  I will look into the forum idea - good advice - thanks!