New Winnebago Travel Trailer!

16 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I am a little skeptical but if we were to find a mouse, and I had refused the treatment, our death till we part clause would undoubtedly be invoked by Mrs. Donstar!

LOL. I believe my bride of 46 yrs would tell the judge it was an act of god.

Nice trailer!  A few months ago we missed out on a good deal on a slightly used Passport.  This Winnie weighs 3900 lbs dry and has a 7,000 lb GVWR.
Similar in weight, ours is 3450 dry and 5400 total, but has 7k pound running gear...we went with Passport because of the aluminum structure.

We looked at the single axle Winnie, Palomino, and the Forest River...we were looking for one with bunks and a queen.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

15 hours ago, Donstar said:

You have a nice setup.  Is it a Flagstaff?  Great camping spot too!  I will look into the forum idea - good advice - thanks!

yes it's a flagstaff 21fbrs. as for mice i don't know how often you are gonna be camping we are weekend warriors during the summer months. never seen any sign of mice, during the winter when it is winterized  i put a bar of "irish spring soap in the bathroom one in the main living and one in the storage, apparently they don't like the smell 

13 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Similar in weight, ours is 3450 dry and 5400 total, but has 7k pound running gear...we went with Passport because of the aluminum structure.

We looked at the single axle Winnie, Palomino, and the Forest River...we were looking for one with bunks and a queen.

We saw some pretty nice wood framed trailers at a friendlier price point but the aluminum framed construction made more sense to me.   I was also conscious of the weight as my truck is a V6 1/2 ton.

20 minutes ago, RP53 said:

yes it's a flagstaff 21fbrs. as for mice i don't know how often you are gonna be camping we are weekend warriors during the summer months. never seen any sign of mice, during the winter when it is winterized  i put a bar of "irish spring soap in the bathroom one in the main living and one in the storage, apparently they don't like the smell 

We really liked the Flagstaff.  We couldn't find one locally that was equipped and priced well enough for us to purchase.  They have the best Murphy bed setup of all the trailers I've seen.  Your Irish spring reference reminded me of this video.  (link attached)  I think this is like my "peppermint" treatment.  We once lived in a mouse infested employee housing unit in Northern Canada that was a single wide mobile home.  All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't keep the mice out!  We moved out before the mice!  

19 hours ago, FreeAmerican said:

For just a good source of tips, tricks and good advice, check out this youtube channel, LoLoHo ( long long honeymoon)  a couple that full times in their airstream.

Thanks, this couple produce easy to watch and informative videos.   There is a lot of prior-learning in this new adventure!  It is no mystery why it is so popular.  (It is also easy to see why some don't like or can't afford the RV experience.)

There is a lot of stuff you can buy to enhance your RV'ing  experience!  I am losing sleep in anticipation and I am busy taking care of everything else around the house so that my focus can be on the new trailer.  We hope to be trying a couple of nights at a local full-hookup campsite shortly after taking possession.  I need this to be a successful experience.  The more I research, the more I realize I don't know.  Can you tell me one thing you wish you had of known/remembered for your first RV overnight experience?

I bought a new Jayco 38FDDS last year. It is a beast at 41'4". We keep it at a seasonal site year round. Too big to be hauling around IMO. I could never pull it my 5.3 1500. They delivered it with a 2006 GMC duramax 3/4 ton. They guy said it pulled it just fine.

We use it as our summer place on Cape Cod. Like all TT's it had it's initial problems, but all seems to be sorted out. With the RV boom still ongoing, they just push them out the factory doors. We open for the season on May 15th. I can't wait! 

jayco1.jpg

jayco2.jpg

First camping experience...we grossly over packed, especially food. Don't try to over think it, unless you are going for a long duration there is no need. There is always a Walmart nearby to buy odds and ends you may have forgotten.

Make sure you have good wheel chocks, I think I am going to either make some good ones or buy some BAL spreaders.

I don't know about others, but I carry my own water. I've heard horror stories of contaminated sources, we take bottled water to drink and I have a carbon filter for worst case (although I have never needed it). We have 44 gallons of fresh on board, usually dump more than half for the ride home on a long weekend.

My wife would have us setting up a screen room, putting lights out, setting the picnic table up, etc...I'm a minimalist and need a chair, awning, and rug for the dog. I'm there to relax, not setup and tear down.

I cook over the open fire, and we have a stainless percolator coffee pot from Cabelas and a whole set of cast iron (although we bought a stainless fry pan that works well). I eat better camping than most do at home! We hardly ever do hamburgers or hotdogs...chicken, steak, etc.

• Like 2

I'm figuring you're not new to towing.

Maybe practice in a parking lot for backing into RV spaces?

Take your time.

Make a list for packing up for trips. food, clothes etc.

Make a check list for setting up when you get to your destination and one for prepping to depart.

The list for departing I used to go over while sitting in the cab and letting the truck warm up a little.

Always make sure the RV steps are stowed away properly.

Last thing on my list.

They are mounted to the floor under the door and if left down and you hit something  with them it can cause the door to not close due to floor damage. 

I limited my driving time and was always setup before dark after a day of traveling.

No sense doing a setup in the dark when your tired. 

More than once I got out of bed and helped someone at night that was having trouble.

I would still buy a cover for it even though it will be stored in a covered spot.

Helps keep it clean, similar to covering a car in the garage.

Take your time and plan your trips.

:)

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.   The advice about over-packing is a good one.  I can imagine this happening to us and still be running to the nearest Walmart for forgotten essentials!    Making lists is also an excellent suggestion.  My wife is the best list maker this side of the Rockies and I'll be sure to delegate this responsibility to her!

Wow!  Now that I have my Winnebago at home, I am even happier with the fit and finish of this product.  If you're looking for a trailer and haven't had a look at this brand, you should.  My biggest concern was how my V6 would handle this load.  I thought this power choice would be fine but reading this forum for awhile caused some apprehension!  My assumptions were correct.  I drove it home from Southern to Central Vancouver Island which is about 75 miles of mixed driving experiences.  At no point did I feel under powered and was able to pass the slower moving sightseers!  Gas consumption is definitely impacted and know I'll need to slow down on those longer trips.  It will cruise at the higher speeds but you can tell you're pulling a sail!

P_20180501_145214.thumb.jpg.0845739d3c98e8cc08586a502213756b.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 2009GMC said:

Congratulations!

Looks like a nice trailer!

Wish GM still made that brown on your Sierra!

Thanks!  I am quite impressed with the quality.  It appears to be well built and lacks the frugal feeling I was finding in other trailers I was considering.  However, I did move into a little higher price point!