New Ford F-150 Diesel Tops Ram In Fuel Economy – 25 MPG Combined – 30 MPG Highway

Gorehamj

37 minutes ago, Nargg said:

A small diesel for MPG over a decent diesel for true towing power is what I don't get.  Would still like to have seen the 4.x L V8 diesel GM had put in the 1/2 ton.  I bet they'd outsold Ford and Ram by double combined if not more.

I read this a while ago... 

The Detroit Diesel DD15 is a semi-truck that boasts a 14.8-liter inline six-cylinder diesel engine that weights 2,880 lbs. This big engine isn’t built to provide a semi-truck with horsepower, as it only generates 506 horsepower, but rather to provide torque.

They went on to say that engine was pulling a minimum of 80,000 pounds.  That means an engine scaled down would be about 3 L and would pull 16,000 pounds.  I think the big three already know this and that is why we are seeing the size of diesel engines they are building.  There is one guarantee with building larger displacement engines, fuel consumption is higher.  Burn more fuel, increase pollution.  I think we can all agree that at 2,000 rpm a 4 L diesel engine will exhaust twice as much exhaust as a 2 L diesel engine at the same rpm.  Diesels run wide open throttle at all times, even idling.  No restriction to air being pulled in. Diesel and gas engines operate on a different "playing field" than gas engines. You don't need lots of displacement to get the work done efficiently. Detroit Diesel is getting massive torque out of an inline 6, not a v8.  Most transports have been inline engines, rarely going beyond 6 cylinders.  Why use a v8 diesel in a half ton?  I think the GM engineers did some real world testing to arrive at their non v8 choice. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, arz71 said:

That diesel from Ford appears to have a TIMING BELT - so that will have to be replaced or it will eventually break. Looks very expensive and most likely a nightmare to work on.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, 98silvz71 said:

I saw that too.  All I can think of is so long durability. 

The 2.8 Duramax in the Colorado/Canyon has a timing belt.  150,000mi service interval.