Body panel alignment issues

Has anyone had issues with any body panels not aligning properly? 

My rear passenger door is popped out a little towards the bottom, but everywhere else on the door is perfect. I really don't think this is an alignment issue, I think the door is bent. The dealer looked at it and put in a claim with GM and the collision department will be looking at it next month. Service department told me "it's a truck, not a Lexus" which I told them that is not an acceptable excuse for this.

IMG_20180405_184541.thumb.jpg.ffc14be59f354f657502d9f98c9b0cd2.jpg

And the left side of the tailgate is not flush. I tried bringing the tailgate post in closer towards the cab which didn't help because it would not engage the latch. 

IMG_20180423_135430.thumb.jpg.4b20866b6d593695f3069acc50b036bd.jpg

I just noticed this on my truck a few weeks ago. It is currently at the dealer for other issues and I had them add this to the list. Rear passenger side door is perfectly aligned, the rear driver side door is aligned until the bottom section of the door. Pretty much goes out of alignment in the same place as in your photo.

I looked over all of the panel gaps/alignments when I noticed the door, but nothing else seems to be off on my truck.Other than the window moldings are warping like crazy.

18 minutes ago, adamj2121 said:

I just noticed this on my truck a few weeks ago. It is currently at the dealer for other issues and I had them add this to the list. Rear passenger side door is perfectly aligned, the rear driver side door is aligned until the bottom section of the door. Pretty much goes out of alignment in the same place as in your photo.

I looked over all of the panel gaps/alignments when I noticed the door, but nothing else seems to be off on my truck.Other than the window moldings are warping like crazy.

I looked everywhere as well and that's where I saw the tailgate alignment off as well. Sorry to hear you have the same issue. Keep me updated on what the dealer decides to do. My dealer can't get to it until May 20th. I told them absolutely no body/paint work can be done.

Has anyone had issues with any body panels not aligning properly? 

My rear passenger door is popped out a little towards the bottom, but everywhere else on the door is perfect. I really don't think this is an alignment issue, I think the door is bent. The dealer looked at it and put in a claim with GM and the collision department will be looking at it next month. Service department told me "it's a truck, not a Lexus" which I told them that is not an acceptable excuse for this.
IMG_20180405_184541.thumb.jpg.ffc14be59f354f657502d9f98c9b0cd2.jpg

And the left side of the tailgate is not flush. I tried bringing the tailgate post in closer towards the cab which didn't help because it would not engage the latch. 
IMG_20180423_135430.thumb.jpg.4b20866b6d593695f3069acc50b036bd.jpg

Is that really what they said, “it’s a truck not a Lexus”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

Is that really what they said, “it’s a truck not a Lexus”?

Hard to believe but yes. I've mentioned a few issues related to the build quality and that was their response. Told them about the engine tick issue and they said to get a nice exhaust setup and then I wouldn't hear it.

Hard to believe but yes. I've mentioned a few issues related to the build quality and that was their response. Told them about the engine tick issue and they said to get a nice exhaust setup and then I wouldn't hear it.

Hmmmm, what year is it?

Just now, TXGREEK said:

Hmmmm, what year is it?

2018. Brand new. Mentioned these issues to them the day after I purchased the truck. I should have inspected it better before purchasing it but didn't think I needed to because it was new.

13 hours ago, ChristopherDB said:

2018. Brand new. Mentioned these issues to them the day after I purchased the truck. I should have inspected it better before purchasing it but didn't think I needed to because it was new.

That sucks, I will let you know if the dealer does anything with the panel gap issues on my truck, although I have started lemon law proceedings so there is a chance the truck will be purchased back before that issue is even addressed.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your dealer doesn't want to work with you and help you. If you have another dealer in the area I would recommend taking the truck there and have them address your issues/concerns. The dealer I go to is about a half hour drive for me, the local dealer is 5 minutes away, I drive the extra 25 minutes because my dealer actually addresses issues and they provide a loaner 99% of the time.

Best of luck in getting your truck sorted out!

I have that same gap on my rear door. The two rear doors do not shut easily. Everytime I close it without thinking about it the door doesn't shut completely. I took it to the dealership and they said that's how it's supposed to be. I'm going to another one 

2 hours ago, TECH12 said:

I have that same gap on my rear door. The two rear doors do not shut easily. Everytime I close it without thinking about it the door doesn't shut completely. I took it to the dealership and they said that's how it's supposed to be. I'm going to another one 

I seem to have the closing issue on all of my doors. Sometimes it doesn't initially close even though a good amount of force was given. Sometimes you close it but don't think it really closed so I have to give it another try. I don't remember having this issue on my 2500HD but that truck was a 2008. It's not just me, as I always have to remind others that hop in and close their door to close it again because it didn't close all the way.

Both of my rear doors have this non-alignment issue.   I figure it’s minor (to me) as it doesn’t cause noise - that my hard-of-hearing self can detect - and there’s no water intrusion during rain or car wash.   

I’m curious if you’re able to discover a fix, however...

That is not right and should definitely be remedied by GM! 

While today's vehicles are probably better than ever as far as fit and finish are concerned, some bad alignments will slip through.

When I was a kid back in the 60's,70's, I would always go with the old man when he bought himself or Mom a new car. Always a big old Chrysler Town and Country wagon for Mom, or a big old Mercury Colony Park wagon for himself. Way back then, I was probably between the ages of 8-13, he taught to inspect the body panels and hood for proper alignment/spacing. That stuck with me my whole life for some reason. Every time I've bought a new vehicle since those days, I always think of Dad when I inspect the body panels. Weird how some stuff sticks in memory for life! LOL!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just received the truck back from the dealer. The rear passenger door is slightly better but not perfectly to my satisfaction. They said they made some adjustments to the door alignment. There were a few other trucks on the lot with the same issue. The tailgate was fixed but now the left side requires much more force to engage the lock than the right, so you have to slam it shut, otherwise only the right will engage. It is also difficult to open with the handle because the left side has so much tension. I think I'll adjust it back so it closes nicely and just live with the gap. I checked 8 other

trucks on the lot and 4 of them had the same issue. Horrible quality control.

I’m not an industrial engineer but my thought would be it’s a design engineering issue.   

The design these gaps gaps so the manufacturing process has as much available tolerance as possible.   They don’t trust the assemblers.  

This is may be entirely incorrect but I’m tossing the theory...