In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Zoomie

Is there any Dashcam Hardwire Instructions

Anyone post instructions to hardwire the power for a dashcam into the headliner somewhere behind the rearview mirror or headliner lights? 2018 Sierra by the way. 

Edited by Zoomie
  • Like 1

Anyone post instructions to hardwire the power for a dashcam into the headliner somewhere behind the rearview mirror or headliner lights? 2018 Sierra by the way. 

I did this on my 16. Tapped into power for the interior lights by the sunglass holder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of power connection do you need?  Mine had a USB option so I ended up just tucking the cable into the headliner, driver's side pillar, then hardwired an old cigarette lighter to USB adapter to the RPO in the drivers side fuse box.  It's hidden and I'm no pgamboa so it's good enough for me.

Got my pictures and ideas from this thread:

As mentioned above your dash cam is probably going to need to be powered by 5v and will come with a 12v to 5v cigarette style converter which will more than likely be to bulky to fit behind the top console.  I would highly recommend coming out of the drivers side fuse box. I had no problem running a wire from there up, and the whole job took less than 20min.  Pop off both side fuse covers and the wire just pushes behind the headliner and A-pillar.  No visible wires.

There is also this thread that shows it mounted and tucked away and may be of some help.

I followed the same route as this guy laid out in the youtube video:

BUT...  I didn't use the same fuse to tie into.  I used an add-a-fuse and tied into number 2 fuse (10A), which was fine for the amount of juice my camera pulls.  With this setup, it stays on for about 5 seconds after the ignition cuts off.  Looks like this:

IMG_3970.jpg

By the way, for my camera, they offered a hard wired optional wiring kit, which I purchased (glad I did), but then their universal size fuse was the one size I couldn't put to use, so I left the ground wire as it was and stripped the red wire to tie into the (supplied) crimp receiver on the add-a-fuse.  Hope this helps.  Not a bad job at all, like Crazyjoker says.  Almost felt like I'd cheated when I got finished so fast, but I got over the feeling quickly. :thumbs:

Here is my video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

pgamboa, at the time I was looking at the youtube vids I had no idea you were associated with this forum, but I did watch your video.  Helped me understand the fusebox especially, and that was why I used the add-a-fuse on that particular 10A fuse location!  Very good and helpful info on there.  Also have seen your center console mod where you go from split seats to the divider, and kicked that one around too (but at 6'5", my long legs like that extra room I get without it).

I don't have the "oh crap" handle on my drivers side pillar, so didn't have to remove that, thus the other vid allowed me to cheat my way thru that.  

• Like 1

Does your camera have park mode or hit sensor? If you do, you should look into options that will let you use those.

I have a box to install that lets the camera get power for unlimited, 12, 8, 6, 4 hour intervals or voltage based, say anything under 11.8 volts it shuts off.

Box installs the same as the camera would and the cigarette lighter part gets plugged into the small box.

15 hours ago, Ozer said:

Does your camera have park mode or hit sensor? If you do, you should look into options that will let you use those.

I have a box to install that lets the camera get power for unlimited, 12, 8, 6, 4 hour intervals or voltage based, say anything under 11.8 volts it shuts off.

Box installs the same as the camera would and the cigarette lighter part gets plugged into the small box.

I bought the Vantrue N2 Pro(this has park mode/hit sensor) on a lighting deal and also a hardwire kit that has 3 of the add-a-fuse for different size fuses. What 'box' do you speak of?

I know the hardwire kit, will auto off if battery is lower than 11.6V or 23.4V. I used the same dash cam and wire kit in my wife's Equinox and just tapped into a spare(empty) fuse that had constant power. Been working fine so far. I'm going to wire up my 1500 next.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789G3QT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by jpinoy

21 hours ago, Ozer said:

Yes, mine has park mode and hit sensors.  I chose not to give it juice 24/7 for fear of it running down the battery.  One day last week I left my keys in the ignition in the "on" position, and it ran down to the point of needing a jump overnight.  The interior obviously went off automatically, but the camera was on (I guess) all night.  

Well, I should say that I can't be sure that's the whole reason that it ran down, but never has happened until I stupidly left the ignition like that.  

I have a Rexing V1 Gen 3 dashcam, btw, if that means anything to y'all.  So far it does it's job, sits there and records on a loop.  Biggest issue I've had is trying to decide whether to turn off the audio, as if something happens I wouldn't want other folks to hear my awful singing along with the radio....

1 hour ago, Slabsides45 said:

Biggest issue I've had is trying to decide whether to turn off the audio, as if something happens I wouldn't want other folks to hear my awful singing along with the radio....

Audio is 100% off for me.  A picture is worth a thousand words anyway, right? :D

I cant remember which hard wire box i have, i will look when i go home but my audio is always on.

Figured if something happens, my singing will be the least of my worries lol