Will GM Follow Ford’s Lead and Exit Cars? Barra’s Answer

Gorehamj

Father in law used to have a Mercury Grand Marque.

Comfortable, lots of room, good mileage.

We called it the "Boat."

:)

Meh... no loss lol.  What exactly do they build anyone here wants to fly out and buy exactly?  Oh right.... nothing lol.  I had a GM late model sedan and honestly it was junk lol.  I owned a 2014 Impala for a while.. thing burnt antifreeze with that ever so awesome 3.6 in it and to resell the car was utterly worthless.  I don't know anyone with a sedan that is built by the big 3 unless it's something old like my 1978 Nova or 1970 GTO....  Even the police in this province have switched to pickup trucks, Tahoes and Explorers.  Some of the departments have the odd Charger but that's it...... Ford dominates it too and they weren't pushing Taurus's.... just Explorers.  The world has changed as has the buyer demographic.  Trucks sell... Suv's sell..... American made shit can front wheel drive cars don't lol.  Too bad we couldn't be like other parts of the planet with rear wheel drive sedans from Ford and GM they do not offer here but hey..... is what it is.  As long your gas is cheap in the US of A you will all be driving pickups and suv's.  It's no surprise really.

Barra's translation:  We spent a butt-load of money engineering these cars that won't sell easily.  We're not about to back out now!  :)

I wonder if others exiting the market means higher sales for GM, Honda and Toyota?

On 4/30/2018 at 2:20 PM, Likarok said:

So Ford must be going to switch to Mustangs for NASCAR! 

I think this is a major mistake on Fords part! Personally I will never drive anything Asian or European! The Millennials think they have all the answers. In thirty years when the world is screwed we will have them to thank!

Glad I won't be around to see it!

NASCAR stopped allowing unique cars several years ago. Bird cage frames, sheet metal to standard specs, same engines, drive train, etc.  the only thing different is the badge on the grill.  This is why NASCAR has become so boring, loosing in-stadium attendance and tv viewership.  It’s dead man walking.....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snoringbear said:

NASCAR stopped allowing unique cars several years ago. Bird cage frames, sheet metal to standard specs, same engines, drive train, etc.  the only thing different is the badge on the grill.  This is why NASCAR has become so boring, loosing in-stadium attendance and tv viewership.  It’s dead man walking.....

And having aholes like the Busch brothers involved may have something to do with it as well!

People like controversy, if anything they bring more eyes to NASCAR. Just like Earnhardt, Waltrip, Richmond, the Alabama gang did back in the day. As much talent as Johnson, the Elliotts, Kenseth have there’re vanilla. Same with Tony Stewart they bought eyes to the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone has an opinion and mine is simple.. In trucks, I prefer Chevy or GMC.  In cars, Corvette or Volvo.. The current "fleet" or my version of a fleet, consist of a Canyon, Volvo S60 turbo and intercooler and a Corvette with an aftermarket centrifugal supercharger.

It works for us and YMMV. Personally as one who spent 45 years of my life in power train design engineering; I'm sad at Ford leaving the pass car sector and the loss of jobs for Americans .. 

I'm 31 and I've never cared for sedans, they just aren't practical for anyone who wants to be able to transport people and stuff, and dogs. My first car was a sedan, a 00 Ford Focus which was totaled after 6 months, I replaced it with an 02 Focus hatchback and ever since then I've just bought pickups and station wagons, I've had an 07 Hemi Magnum, an 03 Ranger, a 12 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, and now a 15 Silverado. 

The wagon is my favorite type of 4 wheeler, more space than an SUV but with the improved driving dynamics of a car. Unfortunately the wagon was the first victim of the SUV obsession, even the euro brands are no longer importing their wagons to the US. Ultimately car companies exist to make money, and they do that by building what's going to sell. That said the American brands have really been phoning it in when it comes to cars since the 70s. If I was in the market for a car, I wouldn't even look at a domestic, all their focus is on trucks and SUVs, and it shows in the product. 

17 hours ago, Nargg said:

Barra's translation:  We spent a butt-load of money engineering these cars that won't sell easily.  We're not about to back out now!  :)

I wonder if others exiting the market means higher sales for GM, Honda and Toyota?

Well, the industry try’s to forecast the future and thereby build to demand.  However, forecasting the future and the numerous variables it entails is very risky business.  Just looking at Ford, a few miscalculations come to mind.  Let’s see...   Henry’s famous “they can have any color they want as long as it’s black”, staying with the flathead V-8 too long, Edsel, Pinto.  Of course GM has its share of boners too.  And Chrysler, a book could be written about it.  So, guess we will just have to watch and see how things play out.

• Like 1

Part of it to is that the generation who thought you had to have a classy car to show you had made it are slowly passing away.

Pick ups were for work and when you dressed up and went somewhere you had to drive a big sedan. 

Well with the trucks of today being, in most cases being better equipped than most cars it has gone the other way, as least in North America. 

My work required a pickup, being a business owner they were nice. After work and going out I almost always picked a sedan. My wife always drove sports sedans, it was no contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, No Coast Rider said:

The wagon is my favorite type of 4 wheeler, more space than an SUV but with the improved driving dynamics of a car. Unfortunately the wagon was the first victim of the SUV obsession, even the euro brands are no longer importing their wagons to the US.

I agree. One of my favorite vehicles was a 2005 Volvo XC-70 wagon; even my Pitts loved the back area and its windows for them to look out. Volvo still offers 3 wagons, the V90 and the V60. Unfortunately, I sold the XC-70 because we bought a 29'-6" camper which was well beyond its towing capacity. 

Anyhow, she loves her S60 intercooled turbo..

DarylZ71: Yes, gas prices are going up... Based on what Iran might do in the future; IF they lose the nuclear deal.. Gee, I have a bunch of stocks, firearms and more I'm willing to sell based on what they might do in the future.. :D IMO, it is just another excuse to raise prices today based on what might happen tomorrow..

On 5/7/2018 at 10:19 AM, diyer2 said:

Father in law used to have a Mercury Grand Marque.

Comfortable, lots of room, good mileage.

We called it the "Boat."

:)

I still have one! It's available for sale ... when I'm cold and dead. About the same time I'll be buying a new car ... 

Never liked FWD cars, never liked small cars, never liked anything less than 8 cylinders. Looks like most of America was right there with me all along! :thumbs:

IMG_7433.JPG

Edited by Jsdirt