Trucks appearance going downhill

Well, as much as I try and take care of the truck, wash it, wax it, park it where it won't get door dings, etc. it looks like after 9 years, the paint has finally had it.

I have already had the roof repaired because of paint blistering with rust and water leaking in the cab. I also have rust spots coming through the cab on the left and right sides of the cab now also.

The thing that bugs me now is that though some of you remove the plastic door molding, I like the way my truck looks with it on and of course it is now starting to look like c**p.

The paint is peeling off and now cracking as if it were caused by expansion and contraction of the molding, causing the paint to crack and flake off.

I hate seeing GM vehicles going down the road where big sections of paint are peeling off....but I guess mine is just around the corner from being another one.

Here is a picture I took of my side molding, and you can see the cracks in it. There are 2 sections, not in this picture where the paint has already flaked off.

Just a matter of time before I either repaint these or come up with another type of molding that might look good.

Anyone else have some ideas on what looks good on their doors?

IMG_20180427_140310938.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I may be wrong, but I’ve heard that the lifespan of factory base coat/ clear coat paint systems is about 10 years, so the clear coat may be on its way out. Sitting outside doesn’t help the lifespan I’m sure. The old lacquer paint they used to spray before the 90’s had a shorter lifespan, about 5 years before it started looking bad.

Sorry to see you are having paint issues.  Like other poster noted unless you have it covered day and night this will eventually happen.  If your truck is paid for and mechanically sound I would not hesitate to put money into a new paint job from a reputable paint shop.  Otherwise sell it off and pick up something newer without these issues.  YMMV