Bilstein 4600 Series Shocks for Max Trailering Pkg Trucks

I have a 2017 Four Wheel Drive Sierra with the Max Trailering Package and the 6.2L engine.  I tow a 34' Airstream travel trailer (9,000 pounds loaded and about 1,000 pound tongue weight) and I get a good deal of porpoising on some washboard type roads. I have a Hensley Arrow Equalizer hitch with 1,000 pound spring bars.  Also, I consider the truck under damped even when I'm not towing.  I'm considering upgrading to the Bilstein 4600 series shocks F & R.  Does anyone have a similar experience with this situation or the Bilstein 4600 shocks.  I installed these shocks on my 1992 Suburban many years ago and I was very happy with the results.

20170412_165418.thumb.jpg.a29140fcef132de37409ffeaa5a5edc2.jpg

Edited by Steve Bryant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shane.lawrence.311 said:

I put Bilstein 5100's on mine and I helped out tremendously...to get rid of the porpoising though I installed air bags...my camper weighs about 7k pounds but with gear I'm about 8k pounds...93006356b5ff2db593995ff8e2103e9f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

How is the ride and handling unloaded? Also, did you raise the front height with the 5100 series Bilsteins?

Better shocks can help damp out porpoising and are always a good idea.  But the root cause of porpoising is lack of spring rate in the rear.  Airbags are the best fix for that, LT tires are also a big help as you can inflate them to much higher pressures taking much of the mush out of the system.

Thats one monster Airstream...

As for the shocks, they will probably help but its one piece to a many piece puzzle.  Upgrade your tires and if you're going to keep the truck and trailer, get air bags.  It might not even hurt to check to see if moving some weight around in the trailer would help.  Play with the tongue weight and find where it will be the most stable and comfortable.  

• Like 1

I just bought an '18 Silverado with the max trailering package.  I have only moved my car trailer around empty and haven't really towed with it yet, but like you I felt it was too bouncy and unsettling even unloaded.  I ordered the Bilstein 5100 shocks but have yet to put them on.  I want to level the truck and will be putting them on the highest setting.  I also ordered a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air bags for the rear to keep it from sagging when loaded.  I will start a thread of the install.  I am taking the race car and trailer on a 6 hour trip June 1-3 so I can report back how it tows loaded up after that.

Load range E tires and Bilstien 4600 or 5100 first. Most load range E tires are 80 psi max. I would start at 60 psi and see how it feels. I run my Load range E BFG K02 at 55 psi unloaded and towing.

If you still need more control then air bags.

I put 5100's on my truck on the 3rd notch 1.5" of lift. I left my rear alone and still have 1.25" or rake. If I put 5100's on top notch then you get nearly 2" of lift which would require a larger rear lift block and longer u bolts in rear. When I hook up a trailer with 300 lbs tongue weight my rear drops 2" so i am 1/2" high in the front. I may add a slightly taller lift block.

If you don't want to raise the truck, then get the 4600's. They are a lot stiffer than the stock max trailering shocks or stock ranchos. Much better control, although your ride will be stiffer.

I don't miss the floating, boating feel of the stock shocks at all. Bilstien is much more controlled. One downside is I now feel every expansion joint vs the stock shocks you would barely notice.

Edited by 2009GMC

• 1 year later...
On 5/1/2018 at 10:51 AM, Kubs said:

I just bought an '18 Silverado with the max trailering package.  I have only moved my car trailer around empty and haven't really towed with it yet, but like you I felt it was too bouncy and unsettling even unloaded.  I ordered the Bilstein 5100 shocks but have yet to put them on.  I want to level the truck and will be putting them on the highest setting.  I also ordered a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air bags for the rear to keep it from sagging when loaded.  I will start a thread of the install.  I am taking the race car and trailer on a 6 hour trip June 1-3 so I can report back how it tows loaded up after that.

The dealer replaced mine on my 17 High Country 6.2L under warranty  the 4 of them. I just complained truck was rough  and I wanted Bilstein 4600 service didn't  ask any questions.

• 2 weeks later...