New OnStar Plans (including extending Basic after free trial)

On 7/3/2018 at 7:26 PM, ChristopherDB said:

My free trial expired on 7/1. I confirmed I can still remote start/lock/unlock. I was also able to send GPS directions to the NAV, which I'll never use but wanted to see if it worked. Vehicle status is not available.

That's good to know.  I hope mine is the same when it expires on 7/15.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Scooter Scott said:

Update: My plan ended on 7/14 and can no longer issue any remote commands.  That's a bummer.

That sure is a bummer. Mine ended 2 weeks ago and I've been using remote start on the app every day. I wonder why one vehicle would have it and another not.

I am amazed people actually pay money for OnStar. I have had it in every vehicle since 05 and I have never used it once, same with the cellphone app. What is it's actual use, besides being able to remotely install viruses, track you at all times, or shut down your vehicle? No thanks, I will disable it completely for my own peace of mind. We have cell phones now, even in rural Canada often miles from the nearest human I have no desire for such a system. Netflix, cellphones, wifi, apple music, onstar, like I need to give any more major corporations a needless payment once a month. 

• Like 1

Just now, 10SierraA.T. said:

I am amazed people actually pay money for OnStar. I have had it in every vehicle since 05 and I have never used it once, same with the cellphone app. What is it's actual use, besides being able to remotely install viruses, track you at all times, or shut down your vehicle? No thanks, I will disable it completely for my own peace of mind. We have cell phones now, even in rural Canada often miles from the nearest human I have no desire for such a system. Netflix, cellphones, wifi, apple music, onstar, like I need to give any more major corporations a needless payment once a month. 

I never once paid for their service.  When I bought my '16 Silverado it came with the remote app free for 5 years.  On 5/1 Onstar changed the plans to no longer include it.  I won't pay for their service.  But I did find that remote app pretty handy at times.

i can still unlock the truck via the cell app.. on my GMC.... i dont pay for onstar... i think i can start it too. but normally use the key to remote start.

for iphone  - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mygmc/id399408958?mt=8   

thats the one i use.. some features are disabled per onstar...

Edited by Crstfr

56 minutes ago, Crstfr said:

i can still unlock the truck via the cell app.. on my GMC.... i dont pay for onstar... i think i can start it too. but normally use the key to remote start.

for iphone  - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mygmc/id399408958?mt=8   

thats the one i use.. some features are disabled per onstar...

Yes, you got the "basic plan" for free with a new vehicle which lasts for up to 5 years.

They make this confusing for a reason. Your initial "free trial" included everything. When that expires in a few months, the "basic plan" continues alone if you don't pay them anything.

They recently changed their plan structure and now offer a new plan called "remote access" to replace the "Basic" services which include the app with remote start and lock/unlock, you can continue this indefinitely for a fee of $15/ month. you have to hunt for this on their website, its not immediately visible when you look at the plans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crstfr said:

but not for 15 bucks. .i'll just carry my keys! lol

That is my feeling exactly. I like the app, but its not worth that much to me. I'd be in the market at about $3 a month.

I'll probably buy another magnetic key box and hide it under the frame, like I've done with my other vehicles.

• Like 1

I use the app all the time for remote start.  I work inside buildings that block a lot of RF signals plus our parking lot is far from my desk so the key fob doesn't reach that far.  I remote-start the truck using the app about 10-15 minutes before I leave for the day and when I get to the truck it's heated up in the winter or cooled down in the summer.  I love it!

That being said I would pay $3-$5 per month to keep that option.  At $15/month I'll probably skip it once my Basic Plan expires.

Also to clarify -- if you bought your truck between 2014 and 4/30/2018 you have the Basic Plan free for 5 years (even if you bought it used - call OnStar and they will activate it for you).  If you bought a new truck after 5/1/2018 you only get it for 3 months then it is disabled.

i mean i leave work at 630.. start the truck with the keyfob... i have underground parking.. so no need to remote start... dont even use the fob either after work..stays cool enough.. plus cools down so fast... 

9 hours ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

I've never met anyone willing to pay for OnStar. But keep in mind even if you don't pay for it and the app has been uninstalled, you still have a cellular connection in your truck, so the potential of tracking and hacking is still there. We may never know what type of data GM is mining from all their vehicles...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/17/2018 at 12:29 PM, aseibel said:

That is my feeling exactly. I like the app, but its not worth that much to me. I'd be in the market at about $3 a month.

I'll probably buy another magnetic key box and hide it under the frame, like I've done with my other vehicles.

My plan too- buy a blank key on ebay, have it cut but not programmed and hide it in a box outside. Use this key to get inside the truck knowing that it will not work in the ignition.

Once inside get to a hidden key that is programmed to start the truck.

2 minutes ago, Sierra_Hondo said:

My plan too- buy a blank key on ebay, have it cut but not programmed and hide it in a box outside. Use this key to get inside the truck knowing that it will not work in the ignition.

Once inside get to a hidden key that is programmed to start the truck.

Programming the truck to the key is easy. You just need a working key to do it yourself.

The cutting is the expensive part. If you get a new key cut, just program it right away.

Unless you are solely worried about your truck getting stolen with your hidden key, then I get it.