New OnStar Plans (including extending Basic after free trial)

That's the point of not programming the spare key- to allow access to the truck via the door lock but not being able to start it. Then you can get access to your inadvertently locked in keys or to get to a hidden/locked away key that has been programmed.

My buddies mother slid off the road in a snow storm a year ago . Went down a deep ravine and came to a stop at the edge of a creek. She was injured and needed an ambulance. I believe if she didnt have OnStar she would have died because you couldn't see the car from the road.

She said within 15 seconds OnStar was on the speaker asking if she was hurt. The cops were there within 10 minutes and the fire and ambulance was there right after. She had a broken leg, ribs, punctured lung. She was in the hospital for a week. So in short OnStar saved her life. 

I'm sure there are incidents like this every day.

To all the guys that say it's a rip-off (I kind of agree) and won't pay for it wait until your wife crashes and nobody is there to help. You will regret not having it. You can say this is extreme but shit happens.

I won't be without it in my trucks. My wife sometimes is on remote roads in the winter and I'll tell you what it's peace of mind knowing if something happens OnStar is there to help  . I'm not even sure what I pay for it in two trucks and I really don't care. I can afford it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. I have it in my truck as well, along with unlimited data, keeps everyone happy. It may be a bit pricey but I can swing it and well worth it should something happen to the family or myself while driving. I called OnStar and they threw me a discount, so I like the idea even more. 

Mercedes Benz has something like that but I can't remember what it's called. A few years ago they offered lifetime accident assistance for $300.00. If the car is in an accident they will contact you and get help. That's all it does but they recommend that you press the SOS button once a year to test the system. So I paid for that and would give Onstar the same thing for that service. Really.....that's about all I want/need from them.

• 1 month later...

Okay just a quick update ...

My parents had the free trial that just expired.  They like the remote start so we called OnStar about the Remote Access Plan.  On their website it shows $14.99 per month or $149.90 if you pay for the entire year.  I told the Advisor that my parents couldn't pay that much since they are retired and on a fixed income.  She offered them $99 if they paid for the whole year.  After taxes that comes out to $8.43 per month for the Remote Access.  They were happy with that.

Just wanted to share so maybe it will help others to get the reduced price.

I just signed back up for the unlimited access plan for $29.99/month. Said it would have Navigation Connectivity showing real time traffic and what not. Such BS...called them, got passed around and ended up talking to someone from Sirius! I for sure will be complaining!

On 7/3/2018 at 1:38 AM, Bobbigboy said:

The technology is fantastic for just $150.00 per year.  It can save your life !   That is pretty cheap insurance.

If you are disabled and have an assisted device installed, you get the full package for free, two years coverage.

The truck has to be brand new and devices installed, within 90 days of purchase.   GM will also reimburse up to $1000.00, towards the cost of the installed devices. 

Since this thread has been revived again...The $150/yr. is just to get the remote to work on the app...it doesn't include anything else. It's $60/mo. for the "full" package...add another $20/mo. for unlimited data. This is just like GM wanting $250 for a thumb drive to update the factory navi...rip-off nickel and dime crap...

Edited by NCPGMC

• 6 months later...

Just another thought on an old thread.  My basic plan finally expires this December, I've been enrolled with State Farm for the drive safe discount for a year or so.  State Farm uses onstar for the driving habits etc..  After looking online, the smart driver feature of onstar I believe is what links with my insurance.  At the current rates for the plans, I think I will save money in the long run just deactivating the discount and leaving onstar off!  I am going to contact the local SF office to see if I can get the free dongle/tracker deal to put in the glovebox.  That is what I was told I would receive originally, but it never came in the mail. I finally called and asked about not receiving one, and was informed I didn't need one that they used onstar from the truck.   

If you call onstar and haggle a bit they will give you the remote app for around 8 bucks a month. I just did it last month, plus they have unlimited data for $15 a month as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/4/2018 at 6:49 AM, ram1067 said:

question is the chevy app and onstar app the same ? 

I've wondered this myself. Only difference I have seen is that "Onstar" sends me an email diagnostics report each month ...... 'My Chevy' doesn't.

BTW, just to make a comment ..... the wife and I both bought 1 year old GM vehicles within 30 days of each other from the same dealer (only GM dealer in town). When we checked on "Onstar" it turned out we got a discount on our vehicle insurance that more than compensated the cost Of our combined "Onstar" accounts. We travel some and occasionally use the 'Turn by turn' directions and I appreciate the monthly diagnostic reports. It keeps me on my toes as far as the oil changes everyone argues about, but more importantly it notifies me of tire PSI maintenance requirements.

It also gives me a little peace of mind when she's off by herself or with a carload of girlfriends. Any breakdown more than a few hours away for me to get to her is a relatively quick response by "Onstar".

I dunno, but to have the insurance discount pay the freight for the "Onstar" seemed like a no brainer to me.

Any other opinions?

Regards,

jumpinjoe 

Edited by jumpinjoe
accident this time

I've wondered this myself. Only difference I have seen is that "Onstar" sends me an email diagnostics report each month ...... 'My Chevy' doesn't.

BTW, just to make a comment ..... the wife and I both bought 1 year old GM vehicles within 30 days of each other from the same dealer (only GM dealer in town). When we checked on "Onstar" it turned out we got a discount on our vehicle insurance that more than compensated the cost Of our combined "Onstar" accounts. We travel some and occasionally use the 'Turn by turn' directions and I appreciate the monthly diagnostic reports. It keeps me on my toes as far as the oil changes everyone argues about, but more importantly it notifies me of tire PSI maintenance requirements.

It also gives me a little peace of mind when she's off by herself or with a carload of girlfriends. Any breakdown more than a few hours away for me to get to her is a relatively quick response by "Onstar".

I dunno, but to have the insurance discount pay the freight for the "Onstar" seemed like a no brainer to me.

Any other opinions?

Regards,
jumpinjoe 

That did away with the onstar app. It’s brand specific now. (Chevy, GMC, Buick etc) but all the same.

The monthly diagnostic needs to be enabled in your Chevy account. Log in on computer to enable. I have it disabled.

5 hours ago, Bob2C said:

That did away with the onstar app. It’s brand specific now. (Chevy, GMC, Buick etc) but all the same.

The monthly diagnostic needs to be enabled in your Chevy account. Log in on computer to enable. I have it disabled.

These are both true.

Also once you have a login for one app it works for all the brands.  We own a Chevy, Buick, and Cadillac and the login info is the same no matter which app you use then once you are in you can select between all the vehicles on your GM account.

Why not just tether to your phone and not spend $15 a month?

The problem with tethering my iPhone to the truck is the the truck after a while default back to the WiFi of the truck. Also when I keep my iPhone hotspot on it goes into a dormant state and I have to manually go into the phone setting a screen and swipe down to initialize again. I don’t have the unlimited data I was just putting it out there that it’s available for $15 a month.