Remote Start on '07 z71

I am trying to troubleshoot the remote start on my '07 z71.  I have tried it several times with mixed results.  First of all, it has never actually started.  I've heard the engine attempt to start, but it sounded like a single click and stopped (lights came on and such).

The truck did have a check engine light on for awhile related to EVAP and throttle which and been fixed and the CEL has been off for atleast 2 weeks now.

Could the key FOB be weak on battery or something at the truck end still not allowing remote start to work? 

Also what is the time limit for remote start? I'm not familiar with it, does the engine have a cool down period or does the truck need to be locked, etc?

Thanks,

Brandon

Is this an OEM or aftermarket remote start system? Always replace the keybob battery as your first step. Test the keyfob at your local parts store, they will have a signal detector. You remote start is not supposed to function if the hood is open, or if the hood sensor is malfunctioning. If its the OEM keyfob, does it unlock the doors?

12 minutes ago, starman8tdc said:

Is this an OEM or aftermarket remote start system? Always replace the keybob battery as your first step. Test the keyfob at your local parts store, they will have a signal detector. You remote start is not supposed to function if the hood is open, or if the hood sensor is malfunctioning. If its the OEM keyfob, does it unlock the doors?

it’s all OEM

5 minutes ago, starman8tdc said:

Does your keyfob work for the door locks? Any OBD2 codes? 

Yes it works for the door locks. No OBD2 codes that I see on my scanner

Your keyfob is probably not the issue. To be sure, you could try a few things: 

Take the keyfob apart and clean the contacts with alcohol - where the button pad touches the contacts. Easy to do. 

Also, Try using a known working button pad on the freshly cleaned remote start contacts. 

After that, I would do a re-program on the remote. There is a procedure that pairs your keyfob to your rig. 

If all of that fails to solve the problem, I would remove every single fuse from the rig, one at a time, and look for ones that are burned out. 

Then I would look over the fuse box labels for anything that says "remote start relay" or something similar and swap those out with any relays that have matching numbers - for example - maybe your windshield wiper relay. 

Did the old/classic body style '07 GMT 800's (from your profile photo) even have remote start?  My apologies if they did.  I thought that began with the 07-13 GMT 900 trucks, and that the remote start via phone (such as the Onstar app) began with the '10 or '11 models.  

If your truck has remote start, make sure it is enabled in the driver information center (dealer turned mine off during a service visit for some reason, and I thought it was broken until I discovered that it was off in the DIC and turned it back on), and that no fuses are blown.  Also, remote start will not work if there are any Check Engine or other trouble codes present.  All doors have to be shut and locked, hood too.  You can only do 2 remote starts for 10 minutes each and then you have to use the ignition key to do the next start.  No time limit or cooling off period that I'm aware of.  If your truck is supposed to remote start, I'm betting there's another trouble code being thrown somewhere.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

28 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Did the old/classic body style '07 GMT 800's (from your profile photo) even have remote start?  My apologies if they did.  I thought that began with the 07-13 GMT 900 trucks, and that the remote start via phone (such as the Onstar app) began with the '10 or '11 models.  

If your truck has remote start, make sure it is enabled in the driver information center (dealer turned mine off during a service visit for some reason, and I thought it was broken until I discovered that it was off in the DIC and turned it back on), and that no fuses are blown.  Also, remote start will not work if there are any Check Engine or other trouble codes present.  All doors have to be shut and locked, hood too.  You can only do 2 remote starts for 10 minutes each and then you have to use the ignition key to do the next start.  No time limit or cooling off period that I'm aware of.  If your truck is supposed to remote start, I'm betting there's another trouble code being thrown somewhere.  

Mine is the new body style 2007 z71.  I will check the FOB and fuses next.  It is turned on in the DIC on the truck. I checked that first.

99% of the time, if the truck responds in any way to the key fob, whether it be flashings lights on the vehicle, crank attempts, etc, then the key fob is most likely not part of the problem, and you should start looking at the truck itself. Once the truck responds, the key fob has done its job. However, having said that, there was only one time I can remember a customer of ours had a beat up fob for a OEM starter, and it was so worn out that when he pressed the buttons on the fob and remote start activated, the button wouldn’t release properly and would act as if the button was still being held down and remote starter would think customer wanted to quickly shut the starter down.  Chances are you are looking at more of a vehicle issue, where the following conditions would cause a remote start malfunction: 

-low battery voltage

-hood latch open (grime/ dust/ dirt/ rust/ out of adjustment hood latch could cause a false reading)

-Low oil pressure 

-coolant temp too high

-key in ignition barrel

-Check engine light on

-remote start has already been utilized 2 times before another ignition cycle

759C6E55-0F6F-4B4F-A3B5-4EE52B073551.png

Edited by SEVENALL

9 hours ago, SEVENALL said:

99% of the time, if the truck responds in any way to the key fob, whether it be flashings lights on the vehicle, crank attempts, etc, then the key fob is most likely not part of the problem, and you should start looking at the truck itself. Once the truck responds, the key fob has done its job. However, having said that, there was only one time I can remember a customer of ours had a beat up fob for a OEM starter, and it was so worn out that when he pressed the buttons on the fob and remote start activated, the button wouldn’t release properly and would act as if the button was still being held down and remote starter would think customer wanted to quickly shut the starter down.  Chances are you are looking at more of a vehicle issue, where the following conditions would cause a remote start malfunction: 

-low battery voltage

-hood latch open (grime/ dust/ dirt/ rust/ out of adjustment hood latch could cause a false reading)

-Low oil pressure 

-coolant temp too high

-key in ignition barrel

-Check engine light on

-remote start has already been utilized 2 times before another ignition cycle

759C6E55-0F6F-4B4F-A3B5-4EE52B073551.png

I will say that my Key FOB isn't in the best condition.  The button emblems have been rubbed off.

Well I checked all the fuses under the hood. Are there any under the dash that I should check? I saw the circuit breaker box but no fuses unless I didn't look in the right place.  Remote start is on in the DIC.

I'm not sure what would be stopping it other than a faulty FOB. When I press the button nothing even happens on the truck.

Can I pick one up at a parts store or does it need to be GM?

Thanks,