Light bar and active shutters

Yes. All the vertical slats had to be cut. If you zoom in on the picture above you can see what I cut. I used 1/2 inch spacers to clear the active shutters but still had to cut 2 of them where the light bar dips back on the outer edges

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi...ive got the light bar sitting at home... if I removed 1 or 2 of the active shutters do you believe I could get the light bar mounted behind the grill without cutting the vertical slats ?

Also I didn't get the mounting brackets. Do you happen to have the center distance of the 3 bolts on either side of the rad... I work in a fab shop so making my own isn't a problem

I have see HD trucks with light bars covering up the transmission cooler in the  bumper..  This is  foolish.. But this is my opinion, It might be Ok if you  never tow.

I look at it this way,  It's a hot summer day,  A/C on,  towing a  trailer. 

• 2 months later...

just curious why you decided to trim the shutter rather than the aluminum heat fin on the light bar? It doesn't look like it needed much trimming and would have left the active shutters untouched. Awesome build though, I'm definitely starting that project this weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Also did this install on my 17 Silverado LT. Only removed the lower 2 rows of shutter fins and then all my other trimming was don on the grille itself. Very happy with the finished product but wouldn't have even thought of the install option without the forum topic.36c3d68b2017f6068af60f9e039ef3a3.jpgb875341624f0819b8267648c63d5534d.jpgc7d354648587f668bfa8bd36c4abac69.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I also was hesitant to put this on.  I used spacers and minor cutting of grille, no trimming of the the active shutters at all.  I think it looks good.  I was gonna leave it behind my billet grille but decided to cut it out and it looks really good. Thanks for the support on getting me to do this.

20190707_172357.jpg

20190707_172254.jpg

20190707_210617.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 10:07 PM, Ryan2017Z71 said:

I installed the RC light bar behind the grill of my 17 Sierra with Active Shutters.  Slight modification to the grill and used nylon spacers to allow the light bar to stand off from the shutters. No issues and no CEL. 

IMG_1537.jpg

What bar and bracket are you using? I love the look of it and want to do pretty much the same.

I used the Rough Country 30” curved light bar and the brackets that came with it. I used nylon spacers to get the right stand off from the active shutters. 

Here is where I have more detail on what I did  

Edited by Ryan2017Z71

• 5 months later...

They make a 8d flat light bar and curved flat light bar that might be alot easyier to install . I read this thread because i have to work on a 2017 tomarrow. The shutter has thrown a code and i got to figure it out . I didnt know it had them till i read the code tonight and i had got a light bar for him for chrismas . But since i have seen the shutter ill get the 8d  quad row 20 inch. Will post pick once it comes in. But for now i have a 12 inch ill post pick of.