radio front speakers

I just bought a 2004 Silverado. with less than 14000 miles.i am trying learn about the factory radio.options.i have rear speakers .they have left and right balance.but I hear no sound coming from the front speakers even when I adust the fader.did all of these trucks come with front speakers?Is there something on the radio that I am missing to turn the speakers on?my last option would be to take off the door panel to see if speakers ARE even  there .how do I take of the door panels.THANKS FOR ALL REPLYS

Can you shine a light into the door speaker "grill" to see if there are speakers int here? To remove the door panel, you will probably need to remove a couple screws, and then lift up on the door panel. Also, you could remove the stereo and look at the wires. Then grab a stereo wiring diagram to see if there are front speaker wires. If so, test them with a voltmeter to see if there is any voltage while music is playing.  

thanks for reply.the video helped a lot .I found wires going to the door . I don't have power windows or locks so they should be speaker wires .so now I think that wires have come off the back of the radio or the radio is bad . both speakers cant be bad at the same time.learning a lot about this truck .thanks again.

Do you have a volt meter? Habror freight gives them away for free with a coupon. Or you can get them on Amazon super cheap.  You would want to test both wires for DC voltage. Set the volt meter to DCV 20. Check each wire for voltage with the engine on, but radio off. . Then check voltage on each wire with the radio on medium volume. If you do not see an increase in voltage with radio on, those are not speaker wires (or they are speaker wires with no feed from the stereo. 

https://www.amazon.com/Voltmeter-Ammeter-Electrical-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B00N3KQ4IG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525661016&sr=8-1&keywords=volt+meter

Edited by starman8tdc

You could also pull your build sheet based off of the VIN number. You can do it by "chat window" through Chevy. That would specify what sound system you rig was manufactured with. Than you could look up specs and info on that sound configuration. 

Edited by starman8tdc

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 8:41 PM, terry2004 said:

thanks for reply.the video helped a lot .I found wires going to the door . I don't have power windows or locks so they should be speaker wires .so now I think that wires have come off the back of the radio or the radio is bad . both speakers cant be bad at the same time.learning a lot about this truck .thanks again.

I bought my 06 sierra a little over a month ago, and had the same thing, had sound from rear speakers, nothing from front. Both, yes, both front speakers were bad. Replaced them with some aftermarkets, and all sound works now

having all 4 speakers working helped the sound a lot ,but I cant help but think that some good aftermarket speakers with a sub could make the sound even better.still sorting out this truck ,hope to get to the stereo later this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

to update this topic .I replaced front speakers with kicker speakers 5.5 .I could have gone with 6.5.The smaller ones were on sale .The rears I had, polk4x6 .for not having a space robbing sub I am happy with the sound..not sure what the factory speakers sounded like when new but the kickers sound good with the factory head unit.