In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
adamj2121

Any Lifted Trucks w/ Shifting Issues

I've been reading the forums a lot and I am always interested in the threads with trucks that have shifting issues, I've been looking for trucks that have issues similar to mine. Despite my best searches and reading tons of threads I have not found anyone that has the exact same issues that I have.  To disclose all things: my truck has a 6" lift and 35s. I know this makes the truck drive different from stock and I am well aware that it isn't going to perform as well as a stock truck. That being said, I don't believe my truck is running correctly. The dealership has been of little to no help, I've had to diagnose all of my own issues and they often blame all problems on the truck being lifted and state "that's how a lifted truck is". So onto the actual issues:

Issue 1: Under WOT the truck hesitates and jerks/bucks during the 1-2 shift. I would liken it to driving a manual missing second then slamming into second. It concerns me for the longevity of the trans and is even a safety concern, since it causes an unexpected pause in acceleration. Below is a video of a regular shift followed by a harsh shift.

Issue 2: Intermittent slip shift like feeling for 1-2, 2-3, and occasionally 2-4 shifts. Instead of shifting smoothly, like normal, the transmission will randomly hesitate/stutter when shifting typically in the 2500 - 4000 rpm range. 

Issue 3: Flare shifts when shifting going uphill. When the truck shifts going up hill the transmission will have a flare-type shift where the rpms jump a little between the upshift and make it much firmer than desired.

I love the truck but these issues are getting old fast and I hate having to deal with them on a daily basis. The truck is an ALC conversion so it is completely covered under warranty. Just wondering if any other lifted Silverado/Sierra owners have similar issues. Is it just the nature of the beast? Anyone have a solution? I've driven plenty of stock trucks over the past year, but unfortunately I have not been able to drive any lifted trucks enough or aggressively to compare them to mine. There was one completely stock truck that shifted very similar to mine at times, which makes me think the issues are unrelated to the lift/tires and are truly transmission issues.

Side note: I also have a vibration when in A4WD and 4WD, that is far beyond the typical 4WD vibration. Anyone have experience with this?

I’ve just learned to deal with it until it just completely falls out ! These transmissions are junk if your looking for a smooth consistent ride from what I’ve noticed in my own truck. 

Had that problem until I tuned it and got rid of the v4 garbage.

Transmissions are junk in these rigs for sure but do perform a little better with the canned tunes from Diablo.

Once my headers arrive, lift goes on and I swap gears I plan to get a custom tune.

That's a shame to hear. I've driven a bunch of loaners over the past year and they all seem to be exceptionally smoother than my truck, apart from one that shifted worse than my truck. I was hoping that someone might have a solution from GM for the problem, so far I have been given an extended warranty by the dealer because they finally noticed the flare/slip shifts and agree it isn't right. But an extended warranty that can't fix the problem really isn't of much good. 

WesternMike, I'll have to check in with you once you get the lift and custom tune and see how you like it then. I would like to swap gears on mine, but I don't know of any reputable shops in my area.

Could try to tune it and change the torque converter lockup to a higher gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/6/2018 at 11:01 PM, WesternMike said:

Had that problem until I tuned it and got rid of the v4 garbage.

Transmissions are junk in these rigs for sure but do perform a little better with the canned tunes from Diablo.

Once my headers arrive, lift goes on and I swap gears I plan to get a custom tune.

Good to know, I should probably get ride of mine so it doesn't fail while I own it soon. That is a shame too because mine shifts great, nice and smooth 99.9% of the time and V4 saves some mpg and works seamlessly without even knowing it is switching in and out. Whew, thanks for the PSA!

Tyler

On 5/8/2018 at 5:52 PM, chevydeth said:

Could try to tune it and change the torque converter lockup to a higher gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting a tune is the next thing to do on my list. I'd hate to void the warranty over a tune (if a serious issue did arise) but I hate driving the truck with the way it shifts now. I traveled about 100 miles yesterday and had at a least 10 instances of jerky terrible shifting, to the point where passengers were asking if there was something wrong with my truck.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:57 AM, amxguy1970 said:

Good to know, I should probably get ride of mine so it doesn't fail while I own it soon. That is a shame too because mine shifts great, nice and smooth 99.9% of the time and V4 saves some mpg and works seamlessly without even knowing it is switching in and out. Whew, thanks for the PSA!

Tyler

Any modifications to your truck or are you all stock?