Bypass the Passlock? Aftermarket remote start not working.

'03 Burban. Can't get the after market remote start to work. It tries 3 times but, but won't stay running. Passlock issue. Solution: I want to install a resistor, rather that using an expensive module. I have seen several write ups online, but some require a 10 minute re-learn and some dont. I don't have a chipped key. There is a resistor in the tumbler instead. Anyone have any insight on this? 

• 1 month later...

I’m going to watch your post here. Looks like after all my keyless entry problems with my truck I may just buy an aftermarket system. Which one are you installing?

Wow that a lot more affordable than I thought. I hadn’t even started looking for a system yet. I think that may be the one lol. I’ll certainly look into that one. Is there a write up somewhere explaining the resistor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I researched systems for about 3 months before selecting the system. I looked at feedback, rating, customer support, warranty, cost, difficulty of installation, delivery time, keyfob type, etc. That is a good system, at the best possible value. There are cheaper systems, but the quality and support drop sharply. There are more expensive systems, but pound for pound, they just isn't worth it.

As for the resistor, I cant post the procedure publicly,  but if you decide to go that route, I can private message you the procedure. I can even send you the parts for free if ya like. I have spare resistors and extra postage stamps. 

I read the reviews on it. That’s a good price and looks like a good system. I don’t need more that what it offers really. I don’t NEED the remote start however I do work in the south Texas heat all damn day so it would be nice to have the remote start! Lol plus my wife says go ahead and order it since I’ve been fighting with mine for 2 weeks now. I’ll shoot you a pm when I place the order for it. I’ve got electrical parts all over my garage. I’m sure I’ll have a resistor for the install. But I do appreciate the offer.

One nice thing about this unit is that it can be easily upgraded. Its not maxed out, its actually stripped down - which is nice. They use the same "brain" in the more advanced systems that have more features. The two way remotes are awesome. Not only is the range MUCH better, but you get feedback from the vehicle. I did not buy the two way remote, but I may some day. 

https://www.amazon.com/Compustar-2WT9R-FM-Button-Remote-Replacement/dp/B07CP789QK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530016951&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Compustar+CS800-S+two+way+remote

Well that’s awesome that it’s expandable! May have to look into one of those remotes as well. If I wasn’t setting money aside for my upcoming vacation I’d pick it up now lol

Ordered that system yesterday so it will be in tomorrow. I won’t be able to start on it til tomorrow after work. It might turn into a two day event lol thanks for the info on the install. I’ll post how it turned out.

Cool, ill start with the ignition and move from there. I was asked to come into work today for a couple hours so its going to delay my install a little longer. But, i can use my test equipment here to see if i can get the resistor numbers i need so i can go straight to work on my truck when i get home. Luckily i have tomorrow off but i also have to help my son with his 97 f150. He got an alarm for Christmas and i was a little worried about trying to install it as i have never installed one. So we are both hoping that the knowledge i gain from installing mine will guide me with his install. I am actually thinking about buying him the same system that i got at your recommendation to install on his truck. Since i will be familiar with it and from what I’ve read online can be used on his truck too. I wont need my truck until Saturday so I’ll have plenty of time to do my install.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any cool little diy mods done to your truck? I have a few that i will take pics of that i have done with mine. None of them have a huge wow factor or anything like that but i thought they were nice additions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m actually a remote start installer and these trucks are cake and cheap to do remote starts in. I strongly recommend using either a dei dball3 (more cost effective option) or the idatalink ads-alca. In these trucks, the bypass module handles door locks and oem security control along with tach interface and even in cases will control the heated seats. 

4 hours ago, zinprogress said:

I’m actually a remote start installer and these trucks are cake and cheap to do remote starts in. I strongly recommend using either a dei dball3 (more cost effective option) or the idatalink ads-alca. In these trucks, the bypass module handles door locks and oem security control along with tach interface and even in cases will control the heated seats. 

On my system, I did not hook up anything except what is needed for the remote start. I also did the ignition resistor bypass.  I just use my OEM Keyfob to unlock, then I hit the remote start, and then I re-lock with the OEM keyfob. The module you are talking about - could you attack a wiring schematic please? I'm curious about the module, and how it would hook up.