Which Year Silverado Has The Least Owner Complaints – Which Has The Most?

silverado carcomplaints.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
5-8-2018

Our friends at CarComplaints provide a unique service. The site acts as a place where owners with problems can report those problems in detail to the site, thus alerting other shoppers and owners. Having now logged owner complaints since 1983, the site has created a very useful database of glitches, goof-ups, and SNAFUs that owner can turn to in order to see if the problem they are experiencing is unique to them, and a one-off issue, or a known problem, hopefully with a known remedy.

We looked closely at the data posted by the site for the Chevrolet Silverado to see which year Silverado since the year 2000 has had the most problems and the least. Before we draw our conclusions, there are a few things to know about how CarComplaints ranks the years and their issues. First, the year with the most overall complaints is noted. Next, the year that the site feels is the “worst” due to the nature and duration of the problem, and finally, the site also specifically names the single worst problem. We are going to run through all three. In the case of the Silverado, which we now call the “1500”, there are two sets of data, due to the way Chevy named the truck in the past. Without further qualifications, here we go:

04 silverado complaints.png

Worst Silverado Year Since 2000 – 2004 & 2008

The ’04 Silverado had the most complaints. The top three categories for problems with the ’04 were Interior Accessories, Steering Issues, and Electrical Issues. Broken speedometers and messed up gauge clusters were among the most common issues. The speedometers broke most often at around 64,000 miles and the average repair cost was about $440.

Which truck is the “worst year” is somewhat subjective. Here are some facts that are not subjective about the 2004 Silverado: 615 TSBs, 15 Recalls, 1 NHTSA Investigation. The ’04 Silverado earns CarComplaints’ “Beware Of the Clunker” stamp.

Worst Individual Problem since 2000 – Excessive Oil Consumption, 2007

The Worst single problem reported by Silverado owners occurred in 2007. In that year excessive oil consumption was reported frequently. It typically occurred at about 66,000 miles, and the problem’s repair costs averaged over $3,500.

Overall, CarComplaints named the 2008 Silverado worst overall due to the compilation of

problems and associated repair costs. 

14 silverado car complaints.png

Worst Year Since 2012 – 2014

In 2014, the Silverado had the most complaints. AC problems and interior accessories were the most commonly-reported issues. However, over the full span of the 2012-present day Silverado, CarComplaints names Transmission Problems as the vehicle’s top problem. The ’14 Silverado had 17 recalls and 1,942 TSBs.

Worst Problem Since 2012 – 2017 Silverado 1500 For Surges and Jerks

This problem typically happened around 3,500 miles. Owner Mark B. summed up the problems best, saying, “Same as others, new 2017 1500 Silverado, jerks, surges, during acceleration. Now and then I get a loud thud in the rear like I got rear-ended. Dealer first acted like they never heard of this issue but I confronted them with TSB bulletins and multiple complaints online. Then they took the approach of “we are aware but there is no fix” they say they are waiting on a GM tune to fix the issue but have no idea when. RIDICULOUS.”

Which Silverado Had The Least Complaints?

This is somewhat driven by data collection and popularity of the truck as time passed, but the 2012 and 2016 both look like the years with the least complaints relative to the rest of the years the truck was made.

Interesting.  1999 Was the year the GMT-800 came out.  So one would think there would be more problems with a 1st year vehicle, but 2000 and 2001 were reflective of more issues.. could that be because they sold more in 2000 and 2001 vs 1999?  A good possibility.  Then a dive in complaints in 2002.. and then shoots back up in 2003 and 2004 and 05.. with 06 going back down.. Then 07 is the release of the GMT-900 series, but significant drop in 08 and 09 and on down until the K2 release in 2014.   The biggest issues we saw here on the forums?

GMT-800s-  Slip Yoke clunk, G80 diff, cold start knock, fuel sending unit, and transfer case/4wd switch going out, and tail gate handle & cover breaking (alot of us also complained about the thinner sheet metal type body, which became the new norm for trucks)

GMT-900s-  Active Fuel Management/oil consumption, cold start knock, electrical gremlins, door lock actuator failure (very common on the 08s)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

I have a 2017 1500 LT DC.. 16k miles. ZERO problems so far. ZERO recalls too. 

GOOD for you.  Please write back in 2022 and let us know how it's doing THEN.  You'd be amazed at what all happens the week after the last WARRANTY is up.  (My Silverado experience can be summarized as "too many problems to list here".)  Unless you're one of the chosen few that gets a shiny new truck every 2 years.  In that case cheers, and the rest of us are still buying lottery tickets to try to get there.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colossus said:

Interesting.  1999 Was the year the GMT-800 came out.  So one would think there would be more problems with a 1st year vehicle, but 2000 and 2001 were reflective of more issues.. could that be because they sold more in 2000 and 2001 vs 1999?  A good possibility.  Then a dive in complaints in 2002.. and then shoots back up in 2003 and 2004 and 05.. with 06 going back down.. Then 07 is the release of the GMT-900 series, but significant drop in 08 and 09 and on down until the K2 release in 2014.   The biggest issues we saw here on the forums?

GMT-800s-  Slip Yoke clunk, G80 diff, cold start knock, fuel sending unit, and transfer case/4wd switch going out, and tail gate handle & cover breaking (alot of us also complained about the thinner sheet metal type body, which became the new norm for trucks)

GMT-900s-  Active Fuel Management/oil consumption, cold start knock, electrical gremlins, door lock actuator failure (very common on the 08s)

While it was the 1999 GMT-400 classic watered down the first year GMT-800 numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

GOOD for you.  Please write back in 2022 and let us know how it's doing THEN.  You'd be amazed at what all happens the week after the last WARRANTY is up.  (My Silverado experience can be summarized as "too many problems to list here".)  Unless you're one of the chosen few that gets a shiny new truck every 2 years.  In that case cheers, and the rest of us are still buying lottery tickets to try to get there.  

Ha ha.. We'll see how it goes.. Nope.. I keep them 10 years! No problem reaching 10 years/180k with my last two trucks, Ford and Toyota.

The original post states 'jerking, surges, sudden acceleration, etc on 2017's..  They state 2017 are most problematic whereas 2016 were least problematic. How can that be? Same truck! except for perhaps software mapping.

If my Silverado turns into a turd, I will have no problem dumping it and changing brand. I have ZERO brand loyalty (except for Volvo cars).

So far so good.

Edited by Loco-diablo
  • Like 1

I've owned an 82, 92, 02, and now my 14 silverado and out of the 4 my 2002 was the best one out of the group.  Next was my 92 which was about as trouble free as my 2002.  It is a close one right now between my 82 and 14 model.  The 14 feels like a car when driving down the interstate and has more power than my last three combined but I feel the overall build quality is not even close to my 2002 and 1992 models.  I keep my trucks for 10 to 12 years so I got 8 or so to go on my current when so hopefully it will atleast beat out my 82 model which was nothing but trouble.

62,000 miles and nothing but a pinion seal. I am proactive however. As my only truck I have nothing to compare it with but I can't see letting her go until it pukes or rots off her wheels. Who knows, maybe I'll make the 300K club. 

Dang I hate to say that my current 1500 is good.   The rear dif might fall right off when I pull out tomorrow morning.   Don’t jinx myself, but....I like my truck. 

And Grumpy - I hope it never pukes.  Anything.   

• Haha 1

2014 Sierra. Got her back in December ‘13. So far, from what I remember:

-Pinion Seal Replacement

-Engine Replacement (Threw a rod around 30k)

-Heated Seats Stopped Functioning 

-Plastic Panel behind drivers seat fell off

-Passenger side window regulator & assembly failed

-Sunroof wind deflectors tore, sunroof fails to open

-AC Compressor died

-AC Condenser died right after 

-Paint is chipping, completely falling off rear passenger side. 

-Various recalls (seat belt, airbags, seat movement, steering wheel power loss, etc..)

Got the truck with 7 miles. Has right around 58k. It’s sitting at the dealer now, going on 9 days waiting for the condenser to come in. I love this truck, it’s been through a lot. But it’s been the most problematic ones i’ve ever owned. 

ive had a few new gm trucks. best one was a 94 2500 light duty (heavy half ton). didn't need a step ladder to get in. no running boards or steps needed. on a trip driving 75 0r more got between 16 and 21 for mileage. speedo only went to 85 so lots of times you never knew how fast your going. very few problems. original clutch lasted to 175000 ,with a snowplow and pulling an 18 ft tool trailer and a 14 ft dump trailer. I had a 04 duramax and it had a lot of little problems. fuel lines and fuel cooler rusted right out. had to change all of them and the brake lines also. kept locking with the keys in the ignition. had to reprogram. I had a 92 that kept having manual transmission problems. now I have a 17 hd 6.0 gas. its so high need a stepladder to reach anything in the engine compartment. even to check oil.to put anything in the box you have to lift it almost over you head. tailgate height is 6 inches higher than my 04 duramax which was 6 inches higher than my 94. where is gm going? to the moon? if you buying a truck to haul stuff, you had better eat your Wheaties in order to be able to lift that high. they call this progress! they must be making trucks to just look at. as far as using a new hd for work they are useless.have to climb a mountain to get in, carry a stepladder to access the box. crank the trailer four feet up to hook it up. every time you get a new truck you have to get a new(very expensive) topper. old one wont fit new truck.