2019 V8 Horsepower ratings.

So is this why they are saying nothing about the horsepower ratings... Since nothing really changed!!!!!!!!

The wait is over, and we now know exactly the power and torque ratings of the 2019 Silverado engines, thanks to order guides (linked below) first discovered by GM Authority.

Engine / Metric Power (hp / kW) @ RPM: Torque (lb-ft / Nm) @ RPM Transmission
5.3L V8 L84 (new) 355 / 265 @ 5600 383 / 518 @ 4100 8-speed automatic MQE
5.3L V8 L83 (old) 355 / 265 @ 5600 383 / 518 @ 4100 6-speed automatic MYC
6.2L V8 L87 (new) 425 / 317 @ 5600 450 / 610 @ 4100 10-speed automatic MQB
6.2L V8 L86 (old) 420 / 313 @ 5600 460 / 624 @ 4100 8-speed automatic M5U
Edited by BigBadSierra

They were pulled but I've seen GM online brochures quoting this numbers.   

355 is too low.  Hopefully they have some surprises.  

I'm also very very dissatisfied with 3.23 standard, 3.42 only with max tow.  Especially with the 8 speed /5.3.  It's like they don't even pay attention to the competition.  

1 hour ago, Colossus said:

For a 5.3L how is 355 too low? 

Because the Ford 5.0L and the Ram 5.7L have more power.  But the General is obviously trying to get better CAFE numbers and not jeopardize any of its own 6.2L or 3.0L diesel sales.  

3 hours ago, Colossus said:

For a 5.3L how is 355 too low? 

Because Ford and Ram have 40hp more and more torque. To top it off, the GM has the tallest gearing with no option of a more aggressive rear unless you go with the rougher riding max tow that isn't even available with the Z71 package.

There is a 6.2 option, which solves everything EXCEPT.....LTZ and High country only.

GM has no excuse not to offer the 10 speed with the 5.3, with optional (non max tow) 3.42 and 3.73 gears.  They finally made a truck that will fit 33-35" tires and match it with 3.23's.  Ford has 3.73 and Ram 3.92

7 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Because the Ford 5.0L and the Ram 5.7L have more power.  But the General is obviously trying to get better CAFE numbers and not jeopardize any of its own 6.2L or 3.0L diesel sales.  

So what if Ford and Ram have more HP?  355HP is plenty to get done what needs to be done with a half ton.  More isn't always better.  Sometimes it's more stupid. 

• Like 2

E85 will add somewhere between 25-35 extra Hp and torque.

Simple way to get more engine response and extra power. I run it exclusively. Burns Cleaner. Engine and transmission are smoother as well.

Why buy a truck on HP and torque numbers alone?  What about Aesthetics, Ride Quality, Fit , Finish etc.?  Price as well?

If you want more HP Install a supercharger.

" If it ain't broke, don't fix it "

Go back and drive a 2000-2013 5.3 Gm truck or Suv, then jump in a 2014-2018. 

Feeling the difference in generations might change your opinion on 355 being too " Low "

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Colossus said:

So what if Ford and Ram have more HP?  355HP is plenty to get done what needs to be done with a half ton.  More isn't always better.  Sometimes it's more stupid. 

So it's "more stupid" to not try and match what the competition is doing?

Would offering the 10 speed and more agressive gearing on the 5.3 also be more stupid? How about letting people order a LT truck with the big engine?  These are all things their competitors do.  

4 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

E85 will add somewhere between 25-35 extra Hp and torque.

Simple way to get more engine response and extra power. I run it exclusively. Burns Cleaner. Engine and transmission are smoother as well.

Why buy a truck on HP and torque numbers alone?  What about Aesthetics, Ride Quality, Fit , Finish etc.?  Price as well?

If you want more HP Install a supercharger.

" If it ain't broke, don't fix it "

Go back and drive a 2000-2013 5.3 Gm truck or Suv, then jump in a 2014-2018. 

Feeling the difference in generations might change your opinion on 355 being too " Low "

They haven't offered e85 capability to any of their trucks besides the old 5.3 6 speed and after the first year it was an option on those.  

The notion that it's better than the old truck and who cares what the competition is doing is very troubling.  Personally I would rather the company thrived by getting more sales and not settling for good enough.  Not letting customers build the truck they want (limiting engines powertrains and gears for the sake of telling customers they get what GM decided) is a sure way to lose customers for a very dumb reason.  

They got the hard part right but from what I'm seeing they are failing at the easy stuff.  

Everyone is hung on rear end ratios and incorrectly so, they got this mind set stuck in early years of 4 speed transmissions; you have to look at the transmission gearing first. Pitting a 3.42 with an 8 speed transmission when you run the numbers on the gears in the transmission is something like a 4.90 rear end first gear in an old 4 speed truck, then you have a nice leisurely 2.08 equivalent (just ball parking here) highway gear cruise to save gas. Want more pull on the highway when towing? There are 3 OD gears to pick from, a truck can comfortably cruise in 5th pulling a load if need be. The trucks don't have any use for a 4.10 when they have a 4.56 first gear and the old 4 speed had a 2.48. Want to tow on the highway at 1:1? That would be 3rd in the old 4 speeds which people regularly towed at with 4.10's, it would be 6th in the new transmissions. Want more because of the better matched rear end ratio at 3.42, you have 5th gear at 1.27. Just do some simple math and quite crying about rear end gears.

But Toyota has 4.30's, they also have a 3.33 first gear, well below the GM transmissions first gear so they need that. They then have a 0.59 6th but need to go that far out because they have a 4.30 rear where GM has a 3.42 rear and the 0.65 8th gear can cruise lower and save more mpg. GM let's you have your cake and eat it too in terms of step first gears, more gear choices and a lower cruise gear to cover all spectrum's. It is ok if a transmission shifts back and forth depending on the situation, it was designed that way and they have settings to hold it longer when towing...

Tyler

• Like 3

My 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche with the 5.3 was E-85 capable, with a 4L60 4 speed.

I have been a GM truck owner off and on since 1988.

14 minutes ago, shift_grind said:

They haven't offered e85 capability to any of their trucks besides the old 5.3 6 speed and after the first year it was an option on those.

If you want a Hellcat, go buy one. My point above was if anyone is disgusted, angry or disappointed in GM's 2019 Engine lineup performance wise, then

go hit the aftermarket companies and pay money to boost the power to compete with the "competition" if you want a GM truck.

Or, simply fill it up with E85.

GM has always played it safe for decades on their designs.

From what I can see, the 2019 truck engine options and interiors will be similar with minimal to no changes.

However, the styling from my point of view is a huge step from the normal GM routine and that is personally what has me most excited/interested in the 2019s.

GM and other Manufacturers are having to adhere and meet the Government's strict guidelines on fuel economy with trucks.

You cannot buy a Ram with a Hellcat motor, for that reason. Would many of us truck owners love to have that kind of power under the hood? Who wouldn't?

Ask yourself what the purpose you want your truck to serve.

Is it going to be a weekend cruiser?

Is it going to be a trailer towing work truck?

Is it set out to be a kid hauling SUV with a Bed for Groceries and the occasional home improvement center supply run?

Do you want to beat every car and truck to the next stop light standing still? If so, 355hp may not be enough for you.

There will always be "Loyal" Brand owners no matter what kind of engines are available with the brand.

These are light duty trucks, not Muscle Cars. 

There is a choice to be made about how to spend your hard earned money on a vehicle.

I would rather have an "underpowered" GM truck over any Ford or Ram, any day.

What I mention above are simply my opinions and views. The beauty of this forum is that we can all talk, debate and express opinions.

shift_grind, what do you currently own? Are you hoping or are you planning on purchasing a 2019 GM truck?

I am sure the information will change regarding option packages, engines etc. It is still early at this point.

1 minute ago, amxguy1970 said:

Everyone is hung on rear end ratios and incorrectly so, they got this mind set stuck in early years of 4 speed transmissions; you have to look at the transmission gearing first. Pitting a 3.42 with an 8 speed transmission when you run the numbers on the gears in the transmission is something like a 4.90 rear end first gear in an old 4 speed truck, then you have a nice leisurely 2.08 equivalent (just ball parking here) highway gear cruise to save gas. Want more pull on the highway when towing? There are 3 OD gears to pick from, a truck can comfortably cruise in 5th pulling a load if need be. The trucks don't have any use for a 4.10 when they have a 4.56 first gear and the old 4 speed had a 2.48. Want to tow on the highway at 1:1? That would be 3rd in the old 4 speeds which people regularly towed at with 4.10's, it would be 6th in the new transmissions. Want more because of the better matched rear end ratio at 3.42, you have 5th gear at 1.27. Just do some simple math and quite crying about rear end gears.

But Toyota has 4.30's, they also have a 3.33 first gear, well below the GM transmissions first gear so they need that. They then have a 0.59 6th but need to go that far out because they have a 4.30 rear where GM has a 3.42 rear and the 0.65 8th gear can cruise lower and save more mpg. GM let's you have your cake and eat it too in terms of step first gears, more gear choices and a lower cruise gear to cover all spectrum's. It is ok if a transmission shifts back and forth depending on the situation, it was designed that way and they have settings to hold it longer when towing...

Tyler

Wrong.  Ford offers the 10 speed with a 4.7 ratio first gear, Ram a 8 speed with a similar 1st gear.  

Ford 3.73 available 

Ram 3.92

GM 3.23 (unless max tow then 3.42 but no z71 max tow available)

GM's own 5.3 8 speed this year is 3.42. In 1 swoop they went down to 3.23 and increased the tire from 32 to 33.  

Thats a big hit in effective ratio. 

Nobody offers a 4 speed, they are irrelevant to this conversation.  I also didn't mention Toyota

31 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

My 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche with the 5.3 was E-85 capable, with a 4L60 4 speed.

I have been a GM truck owner off and on since 1988.

Cool.  In 2014 GM made all their 5.3 trucks e85 capable and increased the power rating when using E85.  In 2015 E85 capability became an option and in 2016 when they offered the 8 speed with the 5.3 it dropped E85 capability, unless you opted for the 6 speed.  They have not offered a 5.3 8 speed truck that is e85 capable.  From the fleet order guides it doesn't appear the new setup is e85 compliant.  So they have not offered e85 capable trucks SINCE the 5.3 / 6 speed.  

I'm not interested in a 13 year old Avalanche with the 5.3/4 speed so it being E85 capable is a moot point.

If you want a Hellcat, go buy one. My point above was if anyone is disgusted, angry or disappointed in GM's 2019 Engine lineup performance wise, then

go hit the aftermarket companies and pay money to boost the power to compete with the "competition" if you want a GM truck.

Or, simply fill it up with E85.

GM has always played it safe for decades on their designs.

From what I can see, the 2019 truck engine options and interiors will be similar with minimal to no changes.

However, the styling from my point of view is a huge step from the normal GM routine and that is personally what has me most excited/interested in the 2019s.

There is a large amount of space between a 5.3 Silverado and a Hellcat.  A space about the size of Texas, so you don't have to pick one or the other.

You recommend ditching the warranty on a $40,000 truck to add more power? No thank you.  Also like said above, we have no reason to believe E85 will do anything on the 2019's, we don't know if it's even E85 capable.  

I love the styling exterior and interior on the new trucks, no complaints from me.  My complaints are how they are not allowing me to package it the way I want it packaged.  If I'm going to pay $40k for a new truck, I want exactly what I want.  I'm not saying I won't buy the truck unless it has a panaramic sunroof, I'm saying hey - you already offer the big engine, let me have it in this combo.  Or why can't I get this gear ratio in this package.  No new parts, just configuration limitations.

You may want a truck to putt putt around town, I want something a little different.   I wouldn't however tell you that you're wrong for wanting what you want because it's different than what I want.

GM and other Manufacturers are having to adhere and meet the Government's strict guidelines on fuel economy with trucks.

You cannot buy a Ram with a Hellcat motor, for that reason. Would many of us truck owners love to have that kind of power under the hood? Who wouldn't?

Ask yourself what the purpose you want your truck to serve.

Is it going to be a weekend cruiser?

Is it going to be a trailer towing work truck?

Is it set out to be a kid hauling SUV with a Bed for Groceries and the occasional home improvement center supply run?

Do you want to beat every car and truck to the next stop light standing still? If so, 355hp may not be enough for you.

I've asked myself all these questions and know what I want.  GM won't let me have it unless I spend 50-60k on a LTZ or High Country.  Ford and Ram say go ahead, get what you want.  I don't want massaging seats, I don't even want leather.  I want a cloth seat crew cab 4wd with a few options and the better powertrain.  To me, powertrain is the most important part of the truck.  I shouldn't have to order ever option under the sun just to get the better powertrain.  

Fuel economy standard issues are easy.  Offer the 5.3 with 3.23 gears standard and offer a 3.42 and 3.73 option.  Everyone else does and everyone will be happy.

There will always be "Loyal" Brand owners no matter what kind of engines are available with the brand.

These are light duty trucks, not Muscle Cars. 

There is a choice to be made about how to spend your hard earned money on a vehicle.

I would rather have an "underpowered" GM truck over any Ford or Ram, any day.

What I mention above are simply my opinions and views. The beauty of this forum is that we can all talk, debate and express opinions.

shift_grind, what do you currently own? Are you hoping or are you planning on purchasing a 2019 GM truck?

I am sure the information will change regarding option packages, engines etc. It is still early at this point.

I'd rather own a GM truck too, that's why I'd rather complain and hope they fix their issues over moving on to a Ram or Ford.

I own a Tahoe and a supercharged G8.  I'm selling both to get a 2019 next year.  I need a truck for a number of reasons, but I still want it to have a little get up.  I have no false illusions that a Silverado will be fast or anything near my G8, but I want a little more power than what a 5.3 / 3.23 Silverado will offer.

Edited by shift_grind