2019 V8 Horsepower ratings.

Why in the world should anyone buy a GM truck and have to go aftermarket to ''compete '' with competition? You are laying your hard earned money down and paying as much for GM truck as any other brand . It should be expected that your new GM truck is EQUAL too or a little better than competition. Do you think GM built their reputation on being underpowered or not quite up to the competition? If you accept the fact your a little underpowered to any of them you are settling for less than your paying for .Never in the history of GM has the consumer had to settle for .....We are close but not quite as powerfull as the competition except perhaps the last 10 years.if your happy for settling and paying the same than competition fine but some of us are not. Remember we are not talking econo boxes here but some pretty serious chump change for these pickups.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigBadSierra said:

I will accept these power ratings if they made a big jump in fuel millage :)

Anxious awaiting this and other info like other engine option. 

I love all the over reaction to numbers that at the moment are unofficial. Even if the numbers stay the same who cares. Like I’ve said before this generations focus is miles per gallon. I would like to see E85 available on the 6.2L. Originally GM announced flex fuel on the L86 for the K2XX but then pulled it. Rumor was GM didn’t want a truck boasting similar HP/TQ numbers to their performance line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, shift_grind said:

I own a Tahoe and a supercharged G8.  I'm selling both to get a 2019 next year.  I need a truck for a number of reasons, but I still want it to have a little get up.  I have no false illusions that a Silverado will be fast or anything near my G8, but I want a little more power than what a 5.3 / 3.23 Silverado will offer.

And that is why you can purchase a 6.2L truck. 

Man, I don't get this mentality at all, you guys. I've owned a bunch of GM products over the years. 04 Silverado, 07 Sierra, 07 Tahoe, '10 Suburban, '14 Silverado. 

I love GM as a brand - and the look of the '19 Sierra is awesome. Can't wait to see the 2020 Suburban/Yukon XL so I can upgrade my wife's car.

But in the meantime, I'm still disappointed in these numbers. I've switched before (had a 00 Durango, 87/89 Ramchargers, etc) and if I have to, I will again. Right now it seems like Ford is leading the way on the engine/technology side and GM is behind them. There's a lot of great things about the 2019 trucks, but these engine HP/Torque numbers basically submarine a lot of those things.

There's a lot of folks here who know so much that isn't so, who have no understanding of how GM operates; or rejects it and wants to force GM into their paradigm of thinking.  Let's hope they don't listen to these wizards of smart.  

On 5/9/2018 at 2:47 PM, pickmeup said:

Why in the world should anyone buy a GM truck and have to go aftermarket to ''compete '' with competition? 

I personally believe GM is the more appealing choice.  I prefer the looks, finish, comfort and reliability.  Most buyers are looking for fuel efficient engines with adequate power for their needs and limit their engine choices to V6, V8 or diesel.  There are far more significant deciding factors than the truck with the "most" hp.  There isn't a mass produced american  truck on the market that can't haul its advertised load.  All of these trucks are also capable of exceeding any posted North American speed limit as they come from the factory.  The advantage to having the most hp will give too equally skilled drivers an advantage on the racetrack.  However, if racing was a passion of mine, I doubt I would pick a truck for this purpose!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

I personally believe GM is the more appealing choice.  I prefer the looks, finish, comfort and reliability.  Most buyers are looking for fuel efficient engines with adequate power for their needs and limit their engine choices to V6, V8 or diesel.  There are far more significant deciding factors than the truck with the "most" hp.  There isn't a mass produced american  truck on the market that can't haul its advertised load.  All of these trucks are also capable of exceeding any posted North American speed limit as they come from the factory.  The advantage to having the most hp will give too equally skilled drivers an advantage on the racetrack.  However, if racing was a passion of mine, I doubt I would pick a truck for this purpose!

I agree with you 100% and think the 5.3 is a fantastic engine.  

But why not keep that the way it is and offer the option of more agressive gears like everyone else?  They don't need the 5.3 to be a powerhouse, that's not its purpose. But why not offer the 6.2 on mid level trims ?  It will only result in more sales and profits.

A lot of people want a powerful mid level truck.   By not offering it they are losing customers.   

I don't know why people were expecting better numbers, they made it pretty clear that the engine family will serve the T1 generation AT LEAST. If 10hp makes a world of difference to you, install a CAI and/or a cat back and a tune and be done with it. The 5L is a DOHC engine designed for sports cars. Have you driven one of the earlier ones in an F150? They are torque-less (updated now to 400lb-ft) but before they would just rev out all day and barely move when compared to an L83, especially if you loaded them up. The pushrod motor was always stronger in the department that matters, especially for trucks, being torque. That is what moves your heavy butt down the road with maximum efficiency, not HP.  Even with the updates, I would not choose a high revving, small displacement, complicated DOHC engine to pull loads over a 16v pushrod engine that puts out close to the same figures. IMO Ford took a cheap and efficient route of building 1 V8 to fill the voids with the main concern being the Mustang GT. While a 5.3L is a proper truck engine, the Coyote is a proper sports car engine. Yes now it may be putting up better numbers than the 5 year old L83, but I am willing to bet they will grenade faster due to the additional 150 moving parts, 6 foot timing chain, and a powdered metal oil pump gear that explodes at 500hp.

Sure it's a shame you can't get a 6.2L in a SLE or LT, but that is the cheapest and best Horsepower mod you can do. All the power you need, full warranty, $2k upgrade no brainer. If you wait for the right time of year you can get serious dough off MSRP, have your dealer search if they don't have what you want.