2019 V8 Horsepower ratings.

16 hours ago, WilliamBos said:

Ram does the powertrain updates 2 years after the truck release.

And dont knock the Hemi - with 395HP/410 torque, I get better mpg than my friends with their 5.3 GM’s.  And unlike GM, Ram does not choke the life out of them with torque management.

After owning a Hemi, stepping back in a GM V8 powered truck would be a huge step back.  

But GM likes lagging behind the others! 

Um, you have that entire statement backwards. Going to a Hemi from a 5.3 is a step back (almost as big a step back as the Tundra 5.7) and both Ram and Toyota like lagging behind in terms of motors.

The Hemi gets out performed horribly by the 6.2, not even worth comparing (it also gets worse mpg by a significant margin) but it also gets out performed by the 5.3 (while being up on power and displacement) as well as horribly covered in the mpg ratings as well.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/01/texas-truck-showdown-2016-towing-mileage-test.html

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/01/texas-truck-showdown-2016-acceleration.html

Tyler

Checking with car and driver there close enough that gear ratio, E-85 and pure luck would determine performance. Wasn’t too long ago we used to buy 3 or 4 identical vehicles for our business they wouldn’t have identical performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so you guys know, The escalade with the 10speed is slightly slower to 60mph than the 8speed. So doesn’t look like any acceleration improvement from the new trans. 

I’d assume the weight loss will be the big difference.

Just so you guys know, The escalade with the 10speed is slightly slower to 60mph than the 8speed. So doesn’t look like any acceleration improvement from the new trans. 

I think there’re focus is fuel mileage now. I read the 10 speed slowed them down too. That cylinder deactivation technology there’re working on (gasp) is more proof of that. Let’s face it every one seems to want to drive big trucks and SUVs. I don’t get it, I’m in the minority. I’m still morning the demise of the rear drive impala. At least the Koreans fill the niche with the Genesis then The Stinger, my wife’s next car.

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

The difference won't be in 0-60 or 1/4 mile.  But passing power, depending on the speed should be better.   With a 4 speed there were enormous dead spots where you would hit the bottom of a gear and not accelerate very quickly.  Those dead spots got smaller with more sweet spots with a 6, then 8 speeds.  With a 10 speed I'd think most all the dead spots will be gone.

The difference won't be in 0-60 or 1/4 mile.  But passing power, depending on the speed should be better.   With a 4 speed there were enormous dead spots where you would hit the bottom of a gear and not accelerate very quickly.  Those dead spots got smaller with more sweet spots with a 6, then 8 speeds.  With a 10 speed I'd think most all the dead spots will be gone.

I think the same problem with the 10 speed in the 1/4 mile will plague it in low speed passing. Shift delay, low speed passes will probably drop down several gears with shift delay up through the gears. I was happy with non amf mode 6 speed 23-24 miles per gallon at 72 MPH. A happy medium for reliability.

1 hour ago, shift_grind said:

I can see it making a huge difference while towing big weight, but not so much unloaded. We have very broad powerbands in our NA v8’s.

I mean with ratios so close, you’ll need to drop down like 3-4 gears in order to pass someone. I’d imagine its easy to screw up. I think it will come down to tuning, and GM is probably the worst in the business at that. We’ll see.

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I think the same problem with the 10 speed in the 1/4 mile will plague it in low speed passing. Shift delay, low speed passes will probably drop down several gears with shift delay up through the gears. I was happy with non amf mode 6 speed 23-24 miles per gallon at 72 MPH. A happy medium for reliability.

The 6 speed is a reliable transmission but downshifts even tuned are SLOW. 8 speed seemed better but I'm not sure were the 10 is.   In my 6l80 car it really takes off from anything below 30. From 30-37ish it's decent and then 38-i can't remember what it takes off.  These are assuming rolling at that speed and stabbing the gas.  

That's with a 6.0L V8 and a tvs1900 running a bit more boost than originally speced, so it's a much broader power curve but could still benefit from tighter gears.  

I can see it making a huge difference while towing big weight, but not so much unloaded. We have very broad powerbands in our NA v8’s.

I mean with ratios so close, you’ll need to drop down like 3-4 gears in order to pass someone. I’d imagine its easy to screw up. I think it will come down to tuning, and GM is probably the worst in the business at that. We’ll see.

You nail it in my humble opinion. It would be fun though to mess with the torque management to see if it speeds up the shift. When I was playing with my 14 GMC, it was amazing how hard it would launch and shift just at 1/2 of the TQ management removed.

I think there’re focus is fuel mileage now. I read the 10 speed slowed them down too. That cylinder deactivation technology there’re working on (gasp) is more proof of that. Let’s face it every one seems to want to drive big trucks and SUVs. I don’t get it, I’m in the minority. I’m still morning the demise of the rear drive impala. At least the Koreans fill the niche with the Genesis then The Stinger, my wife’s next car.

My wife just got a Stinger GT. What a sweet ride it is. Quick and rides decent. I'd change a few things they did but overall the Koreans did a great job. Never thought I'd even look at a rice burner, however GM has done what it could to try to push me away.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk