Cleaning inner wheel well

My '09 Sierra suffered from the common rusting of the wheel wells from the inside out.  I did not do a very good job of keeping the area clean.  Now with my '16 Silverado, I am wondering what is the best way to prevent the same thing from happening.  On the '09, I think you could remove the taillights and had access to shoot water and clean out the inner wheel wells.  Is the same true on the current body style, or what works best?

When I wash my truck, I take a regular garden hose with a piston style gun on it and use my fingers to wash away the dirt and grime on the lip inside the wheel well. It’s hard to get fingers in there with the liners but I figured simply spraying that area to wash away the heavy stuff is better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I removed my taillights this spring (two screws give it a yank) sprayed water inside, let it dry and coated inside with Fluid Film.

I also spray Fluid Film into the fender through the holes in the box.

I am paranoid about corrosion also :) - Good Luck

Wash those wheel wells every time you wash the truck. They are part of the truck too!

I spray up underneath as well and do as much of the frame as I can see with out being a contortionist! 

8 hours ago, Styles_888 said:

I removed my taillights this spring (two screws give it a yank) sprayed water inside, let it dry and coated inside with Fluid Film.

I also spray Fluid Film into the fender through the holes in the box.

I am paranoid about corrosion also :) - Good Luck

I like this idea...Prevention is the best medicine  ;)

On 5/8/2018 at 10:14 AM, catpartsman said:

When I wash my truck, I take a regular garden hose with a piston style gun on it and use my fingers to wash away the dirt and grime on the lip inside the wheel well. It’s hard to get fingers in there with the liners but I figured simply spraying that area to wash away the heavy stuff is better than nothing.

^this. Salt, pebbles, dirt all sit on the fender well lip. Important to keep those clean.

A few times a year I drive mine up on a few blocks I made out of railway ties 16" tall, and climb under with the washer. Spray from one end to the other. Fluid film is a great idea, but be careful not to get any on your Nox rust frame coating as it will react with wax and begin to remove it. 

I remove everything I can and clean and then fluid film.

IMG_1068.thumb.JPG.d55e07df054b77ab446615059e1d5d6a.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

Edited by fairway605
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While you have those wheel liners out  there are three plastic plugs that come out. Stick your head in the wheel well and look towards the outside. That’s where you can get a good amount of rustproofing on top of the wheel well between the panels. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 15slvrDbl said:

While you have those wheel liners out  there are three plastic plugs that come out. Stick your head in the wheel well and look towards the outside. That’s where you can get a good amount of rustproofing on top of the wheel well between the panels. 

The wheel liners are from front, I am aware of those plugs on the rear thanks. On a GMC though its easy to access that area from holes the wheel mouldings snap into from the outside. 

Edited by fairway605

Gotcha I have never had a gmc only been on Chevy side. Last weekend I tore down my two week old truck and rustproofed it with a wax based rustproofing. My wife thinks I’m nuts she walked in and door panels, lights wheel liners and piles of plastic plugs around. I told her if we plan on keeping this truck I’m going to do everything possible to keep it rustfree and as nice as possible.  Make sure you clean out where your taillights are the pockets behind there collect everything. 

Get a underwash dolly thing from ebay or amazon that you hook up to a garden hose and it sprays pressurized water upwards. Then you can move it around to get the frame and under parts rinsed vs crawling under there. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-11-Pressure-Washer-Water-Broom-Nozzle-Cleaning-Deck-Patio-Faster-3300-PSI/273195690743?epid=10011031143&hash=item3f9bbb6af7:g:3YwAAOSwcJ1a7cV1

Edited by Ozer