GM Replace or Repurchase Offer

GM finally gave me the verdict on my 2017... offered to repurchase or replace.... but I'm worried that they won't be able to replace with a vehicle "substantially"  like the one I have. They said a  build out is very last option.  I really like my truck, seems to be working fine since last time dealer did repairs.  I would like it much better if they gave me a life time warranty and refunded my extended warranty purchase. My truck is built for work so I'm not looking forward to swapping shell, cargo glide and other things either.  I don't want to cash out, I have about 10k invested in those items, spec'd for Silverado 1500. I've had truck about 8 months, so I'm pretty used to the setup too. Thankfully my truck showed the defect issue within 700 miles, so that mileage offset they want to charge is less than $500. But at this point it has been 6 months roughly to get here. Dealer should have taken care of me when it first died in July 2017... and now GM wants me to work with them on the replacement. Not liking that arrangement. But I want to have a reliable truck too!

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do, and/or what to watch out for? I tried to spec out an exact (or close) match on their site, but came up mostly empty on inventory in SoCal.

Thanks!

20170707_003955985_iOS.jpg

I had the same option with a Jeep Cherokee and I entertained the replacement option but we couldn't agree on a like vehicle. I paid about 10k under MSRP and they wanted to put me in a vehicle with an MSRP equal to what I paid, not matching MSRP to MSRP. I told them I'm not paying sticker for a new car if they won't give me sticker back for the lemoned car. I would have lost so much if I let them put me in a car that was $10k less than what I originally purchased. I ended up taking the money and ran away. If I had to go through the same experience again I would have immediately taken the repurchase offer (which was calculated based on a formula set by the state and not negotiable) and found a new vehicle on my own. With the 2019's coming out you should find a good deal on a 2018.

2 hours ago, drummerman said:

It's tempting to cash out. I'm afraid that when they do actually offer a replacement that something won't be reasonable.... then I will have to wait another six months to get a check instead. 

That's exactly what will happen, although it won't take 6 months for a check. By the time you're done fighting to get what you believe is a fair replacement, the 2018 deals will be gone. And F150 production has currently been put on hold so act quick if you don't want to stick with GM. I think once I agreed on the buyback it was a week or two and I had a check. Jeep used a 3rd party to handle the entire process, I never actually talked with Jeep once it was decided it was a lemon. Not sure if GM is the same.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, drummerman said:

GM finally gave me the verdict on my 2017... offered to repurchase or replace.... but I'm worried that they won't be able to replace with a vehicle "substantially"  like the one I have. They said a  build out is very last option.  I really like my truck, seems to be working fine since last time dealer did repairs.  I would like it much better if they gave me a life time warranty and refunded my extended warranty purchase. My truck is built for work so I'm not looking forward to swapping shell, cargo glide and other things either.  I don't want to cash out, I have about 10k invested in those items, spec'd for Silverado 1500. I've had truck about 8 months, so I'm pretty used to the setup too. Thankfully my truck showed the defect issue within 700 miles, so that mileage offset they want to charge is less than $500. But at this point it has been 6 months roughly to get here. Dealer should have taken care of me when it first died in July 2017... and now GM wants me to work with them on the replacement. Not liking that arrangement. But I want to have a reliable truck too!

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do, and/or what to watch out for? I tried to spec out an exact (or close) match on their site, but came up mostly empty on inventory in SoCal.

Thanks!

20170707_003955985_iOS.jpg

Went through the same thing with my 2014. have them build one to your specs. You can use all rebates, GM card rewards, private offers, you name it, they want to keep you in a GM truck. Not sure what the offer is for you, but they came up with $8000.00 trade in allowance for me. I actually walked away with a smaller payment on my 2016. Make sure though that the numbers work for you, I had a big down payment (my 2008 that was paid for) on the 14, so they had to make the deal on the 16 close, so basically I basically "leased" (it was financed) and started all over with length of contract with the 16.

They bought back my 2017 silverado with the agreement that  I would buy another truck . Ended up ordering a 2018 sierra specked out and direct from GM . After a few months of waiting I took delivery . It started having  the same exact problems within 100 miles or so. Now I just filed on my second lemon . Do your self a favor and buy something beside GM .

I am fed up with the deception even at the local dealership level .I followed instructions in my manual . Call service manager / General manager then they don't return your call . They try to make you believe it's in your imagination and there's nothing wrong. Even had the service manager tell me the reason they did a triple flush on my Silverado was because it was an 8 speed (wrong) and that the 6 speeds don't have any problems / what a lying idiot .

Just got a call from GM to schedule final repair attempt . Wonder if they will actually do anything to it this time , so far all they have done is drive and deny . I have to wait all the way until june 5th I guess they are thinking the more miles I rack up the less they will have to pay to buy it back? The formula they use depends on the msrp of the vehicle . Around 33c per mile I told them the last time why should I have to pay that amount to drive something that runs like garbage ? Honestly my 06 sierra runs and drive like a new car this one is garbage no exaggerating ,spitting and sputtering 90% of the time under 40 mph.

Edited by markp1958
spelling

8 hours ago, markp1958 said:

Just got a call from GM to schedule final repair attempt . Wonder if they will actually do anything to it this time , so far all they have done is drive and deny . I have to wait all the way until june 5th I guess they are thinking the more miles I rack up the less they will have to pay to buy it back? The formula they use depends on the msrp of the vehicle . Around 33c per mile I told them the last time why should I have to pay that amount to drive something that runs like garbage ? Honestly my 06 sierra runs and drive like a new car this one is garbage no exaggerating ,spitting and sputtering 90% of the time under 40 mph.

You're expecting to be treated fairly?

Not sure what to expect but I do positively know there's a coordinated cover up between the dealership and GM .

My Dad always said the squeaky wheel gets greased . Not normally my style but I raised a LOT of hell with the GM rep on the 2017 silverado lemon .

They cut me a good deal on the Sierra .If only the truck drove good I would be really happy . The amount I owed went down a little and I went up in trim level a good bit . In Florida at least you get 105% of the msrp on a trade not sure on other states .

If I didn't have so much equity in the truck it would be parked at the dealership and I would walk away . This is the final attempt June 5th before Pam Bondi's office and the BBB gets involved .

14 hours ago, Colossus said:

Oh what a feeling.  Crapota.

Every time I start the engine, I say....oh what a feeling with a big smile on my face!  My 07' Toyota 4Runner just turned 90,000 miles on the odometer.  90,000 miles of pure bliss by simply doing an oil change every 5,000 miles and putting gas in the tank.  

Edited by 1997SierraSLT

13 hours ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

Every time I start the engine, I say....oh what a feeling with a big smile on my face!  My 07' Toyota 4Runner just turned 90,000 miles on the odometer.  90,000 miles of pure bliss by simply doing an oil change every 5,000 miles and putting gas in the tank.  

I'm looking at other brands wish I didn't need a truck honestly . My 06 sierra is too rusty to do a renovation as well as being pretty banged up . It runs great and I love it but it looks like crap pulling up on a jobsite .I definitely have a bad taste for GM now and used to be dedicated to them . Just want out and will never go back . Not sure whether to post updates here or start a new thread on my upcoming experience with GM