2006 Silverado will not go in 4L

2006 Crew Z71 with 5.3 and electronic 4WD shift:

Tried to shift into 4L per GM manual (in neutral, still and with very slow roll) and it clunks two or three times and shakes the entire truck, but does not engage. Shifting to 4H works fine. After trying a few times I got a “Service 4WD” light.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Things are definitely moving down there, just not locking up!

I would start with checking the transfer case and front differential fluid levels. Couldn't hurt to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Try engaging 4L in forward and reverse. Are your front and rear tires the same size, age, tread wear, and tire pressure? 

A $25 test: 

https://www.amazon.com/JahyShow-Transfer-Selector-Cadillac-Chevrolet/dp/B076BLDTXT/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1526073157&sr=8-12&keywords=2006+suburban+4x4+switch

Edited by starman8tdc

I would start with checking the transfer case and front differential fluid levels. Couldn't hurt to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Try engaging 4L in forward and reverse. Are your front and rear wheels the same size, age, tread wear, and tire pressure? 

A $25 test: 

https://www.amazon.com/JahyShow-Transfer-Selector-Cadillac-Chevrolet/dp/B076BLDTXT/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1526073157&sr=8-12&keywords=2006+suburban+4x4+switch

Tires are all new. Fluid levels are all good. I also tried rolling fwd & backward, no luck.

I don’t think it’s an electronic problem...the actuator is definitely moving...it’s just not engaging. I get several mechanical clunks before it gives up.

If its working in the 4 high range, then the front end can probably be excluded as the issue. That leaves the transfer case. 

Dash switch

Encoder motor 

Encoder sensor ring

Speed sensor issue 

Transfer case internal problems

Wiring 

User error 

Those are the possible causes. 

If its working in the 4 high range, then the front end can probably be excluded as the issue. That leaves the transfer case. 

Dash switch

Encoder motor 

Encoder sensor ring

Speed sensor issue 

Transfer case internal problems

Wiring 

User error 

Those are the possible causes. 

Ok, had it scanned and it threw codes B0790 and C0035. The C-code is left front wheel speed sensor, no idea what the B-code means.

I did notice that I never get a neutral light on the dash switch...even when in neutral it’s always 2H or 4H...

To clarify, your "neutral" light for the transfer case has nothing to do with your transmission gear shifter selection. You have two neutral sections: transfer case and transmission. To select neutral on your transfer case, you need to hold down 2 transfer case shift buttons. For the transmission, you shift to N. 

I'm no expert on wheel speed sensors, but I do know that the transfer case will not shift in to 4 low unless the wheel speed sensors are reporting back the correct values. 

I guess I’d better address the wheel sensor first, then go from there. This is getting more expensive the deeper I get. It’s what I get for buying these high mileage Chevy trucks I suppose.

To clarify, your "neutral" light for the transfer case has nothing to do with your transmission gear shifter selection. You have two neutral sections: transfer case and transmission. To select neutral on your transfer case, you need to hold down 2 transfer case shift buttons. For the transmission, you shift to N. 

Glad you clarified.

Interestingly, when I went through the procedure to put the T/C in neutral, and then back out of neutral, it went into 4L on its own. I drove it in 4L and so I know it works. Now, I just gotta figure out how to make it SHIFT into 4L like its supposed to with the button!

I sure miss my old manual shift.

If your top transfer case control button round,  you need the AutoTrac II fluid. I would drain and refill it as soon as possible. Here is where I buy mine: 

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4017-Auto-Trak-Transfer-Fluid/dp/B002H8U3KK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526138351&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ACDelco+Auto-Trak+II+Transfer+Case+Fluid&psc=1