New guy, one month review.

So I'm at the one month mark, not exactly ground breaking but I did put some miles on her (2,530). I got to say I'm loving this thing! The big thing that I absolutely needed was to average somewhere around 22mpg's. That was kind of a must with the amount of commuting I do. So I looked at some midsize trucks and discovered that I may/might be able to get that out of the 5.3 Silverado and so far it's exceeded that. Usually I'm averaging 25-26 mpg at the end of my 600 mile work week. That's better than my wife's Honda CRV.

I like how smooth and quiet this thing is, very impressive. It handles pretty well for a truck and the highway ride is stable and straight. The power is pretty decent.

One thing I have noticed, this transmission seems like it doesn't know what it wants to do. It operates in a confused state of mind...kind of clunky, kind of unpredictable. Not exactly smooth and tight. But as long as it works I don't care, it's a truck. And twice now I've gotten this strange sort of buzz come out of the dash area when I open the door - it's not the fuel pump purge - sounds like a relay is sticking or something. Don't know what it is?? Maybe it gets worse, maybe it goes away, maybe I'm imagining things.

Living in New England (southern NH) I've already been forced to drive through every weather situation I can think of. Bought it April 15th and it snowed a day later - had to put it in 4 wheel drive - thought I was going to get rear ended in the White Mountains the first day I owned it (tractor trailers literally blew over on 93 that day). Right now every day I drive to work it's 40 degrees in the morning and 80 plus on the way home. 

But im loving this thing...it's in for a ton of miles. Not that it matters but I'm an ASE master tech and I plan on installing a catch can...already installed a bed liner, running boards, weather tech md flaps, painted the emblems black (truck is white). Plan on undercoating it soon (been reading up on that a lot). Changed the oil at 1,300 miles already. Next up is some decent looking black rims and tires...the stock 17's and tires just don't look right on this thing in my opinion. Might do a leveling kit. We'll see. Some excellent threads on here with some great info. Thanks.

• Like 1

Great review, you seem to be evaluating the way many (most?) others do on this forum.   Your technical background is a big plus, we’re looking forward to learning from you.

One pretty small caution.   Check your mileage manually.   The DIC is, how do they say, optimistic.  I thing MPG is good, but never as good as indicated.

Welcome.

The transmission may improve with time as it learns you. Give it a chance. Mine took about 5K to shake hands with me. 

Thanks for the review. I like first hand 'as it unfolds' information. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Welcome to this forum and congratulations on your new truck.  Grumpy is right about the transmission learning you.    You also will learn about the transmission and soon it will appear consistently smooth and responsive to your input.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, qwank said:

What dealer do you work at? 

I don't work at a dealer, I teach automotive now. Have some students working at local dealers though. You work at a dealer? I bought my truck at McMulkin Chevrolet, pretty good experience there. Have a couple former students working the co-op program there through Mass Bay community college; they tell me it's pretty decent there. Had some kids at Lannan, Liberty, and many at Honda, Toyota and Chrysler (locally).

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

The transmission may improve with time as it learns you. Give it a chance. Mine took about 5K to shake hands with me. 

Thanks for the review. I like first hand 'as it unfolds' information. 

At the rate I'm going I should be at 5,000 miles by next month...can't seem to stop driving this thing. I'll check back in a month and update.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boardmember said:

Great review, you seem to be evaluating the way many (most?) others do on this forum.   Your technical background is a big plus, we’re looking forward to learning from you.

One pretty small caution.   Check your mileage manually.   The DIC is, how do they say, optimistic.  I thing MPG is good, but never as good as indicated.

Welcome.

Yeah I kind of figured it was a little "favorable", but I'm trying to convince myself it's that good. Lol. 

Ill tell yeah, the weekend drivinis what really kills it for me..the stop and starts, not having it get to temp long enough...the trips to Home Depot, dinner, errands. Plus it's been a little cool here in southern NH the past week. I'm barely averaging 23 this weekend. But I'll take it. Love this thing so far.

If your looking for running boards that are a little less expensive, I found on eBay and Amazon iBoards.  Amazon is little more expensive.  They have them in Chrome edge and Solid Black.  They are also very easy to install.  Also, they come in 4", 5" and 6" widths.  They also have ones that only fit to the end of the doors and then ones that go to just before the rear tire.  I'm working on installing lights to be able to see them at night.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-iBoard-Running-Boards-Nerf-Bars-Fit-07-18-Chevy-Silverado-GMC-Sierra-Crew-Cab/201947959324?fits=Year%3A2015|Make%3AGMC|Model%3ASierra+1500|Submodel%3ASLE|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A5.3L&epid=9003944518&hash=item2f0509501c:g:DIQAAOSwAJFa6qeE

7 hours ago, Doublebase said:

So I'm at the one month mark, not exactly ground breaking but I did put some miles on her (2,530). I got to say I'm loving this thing! The big thing that I absolutely needed was to average somewhere around 22mpg's. That was kind of a must with the amount of commuting I do. So I looked at some midsize trucks and discovered that I may/might be able to get that out of the 5.3 Silverado and so far it's exceeded that. Usually I'm averaging 25-26 mpg at the end of my 600 mile work week. That's better than my wife's Honda CRV.

Great review.   And some people in another topic wonder why GM doesn't up the HP on the 5.3L to be more.. "competitive" with the others.  Well the fuel economy you are seeing with the 5.3L is exactly why GM is leaving the HP alone.  In this day and age, fuel economy matters.  GM gets the best fuel economy vs Crapota, Nissan, Ferd, and Dodge.  That helps to sell trucks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doublebase said:

I don't work at a dealer, I teach automotive now. Have some students working at local dealers though. You work at a dealer? I bought my truck at McMulkin Chevrolet, pretty good experience there. Have a couple former students working the co-op program there through Mass Bay community college; they tell me it's pretty decent there. Had some kids at Lannan, Liberty, and many at Honda, Toyota and Chrysler (locally).

yeah, I work at Herb Chambers in Danvers.  I have a few friends that work at McMulkin and Lannan   

If you like your milage so much, which I would, be careful putting any kind of level kit and bigger tires on, that will affect the fuel milage instantly. It'll look great, but milage will plummet. That's fantastic mpg's, optimistic or not.