Changed my oil today

Simple and no mess, never have to worry about oil pan threads. Very useful on vehicles that the oil hits something (cross member or something)

On the wife's car I simply open the valve, then check fluids, replace oil filter, check air filter, etc while it drains

I have another vehicle I chose not to use one. The plug is on the bottom of the pan so I didn't want it hanging down, and was afraid with the design that it wouldn't drain all of the oil out

Yeah it's that black C shape thing. İt snaps in and stays there secured.

And this isnt about saving time on grabbing a wrench and removing the plug. Unless you use one, you wouldn't understand how awesome it is. No mess, no possibility of wearing out threads.. its a nice product.

You can even connect a clear hose to it to drain directly into the waste oil container.

I don't use it on my other which since it would hang lower and that's a no no.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

I never understood the allure of these. Does it really take that much time to grab a wrench and remove a bolt? Lol

It will make it easier for me as my truck is lowered 4.5/7 and getting a jacket and under it is a bit of a challenge 

Can't believe they resurrected this POS again. I want a hermetically sealed crankcase with a torqued bolt rather than be at the mercy of some spring or lever staying in place. In for tires or brake service and what's this?........monkey pulls the lever and accidentally dumps your oil then plays stupid and you get a surprise later down the road.

Now that we're an environmentally friendly touchy-feely society  it's called a Fumutomo or something but is marketed differently....no nasty oil to touch one's dainty hands....the 60's version was the real thing, cable operated so you could operate from the dash......simple instructions, park over a sewer grate and pull the knob to dump the oil and voila!......worked great and no cleanup required!

Almost as much fun as the self cleaning ash tray in my uncle's Caddy....great commercials on TV....ash tray full or burning crap or fire in the tray?.....worked like a magic trick............simply close the ash tray and a road draft tube sucks out the crap and throws it onto the roadway......it was amazing what stuff you could make disappear......an option for two model years before someone figured out it was actually littering.

By the looks of it the thing is a ball valve, which we use at the power plant to seal against a high (or near perfect) vacuum in many cases and they last for decades with no leaks, so I wouldn't be worried about that aspect of it.  If it makes the oil change quicker and easier, I'm all for it, especially if I'm doing on-the-fly oil analysis.  I'm quite sure the seal on the valve is much better than the dipstick and oil cap provide.  The only issue would be if something could strike it while off-road and snap it off.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:56 AM, Thomcat said:

Can't believe they resurrected this POS again. I want a hermetically sealed crankcase with a torqued bolt rather than be at the mercy of some spring or lever staying in place. In for tires or brake service and what's this?........monkey pulls the lever and accidentally dumps your oil then plays stupid and you get a surprise later down the road.

Thats quite the scenario lol

There is no way something  could grab it while off road, which is why it works on the truck but not on my BMW x5 which has the drain plug as the lowest point of the bottom.

Gotta know when you can and cant use one. 

• Like 1

Haha I see his point now.   Sorry for being dickish.  I remember my first oil change on my last truck.  Now I'm stock height again, but the Fumoto valve and a hose make my life easier.  Enjoy the new vantage point.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:52 PM, drentlaw1 said:

I'd personally never use one of these. My brother ruined his brand new motor in one of his logging machines because the valve came open. I'm sure 99.9% of the time they are fine, but my luck is be the .01% haha 

I am the opposite. I love em.  I have used them on semi trucks, compact tractors, cars, pickups, and Jeeps for years. I live rural and my pickups and the Jeep I had at one time have to go out on the property to do work occasionally and nothing has even remotely been a risk of the valve opening.  Over 1 million miles on one semi truck and 838,000 miles on the current one, both with Fumoto valves.  Nary a problem.   My 2015 2500 6.0 has one on it as does the wife's 3.6L in her Cadillac CTS.

I would attribute your brother's issues to operator error.  The way the valve lever is spring loaded into a channel when closed, one just about has to snap the valve in half for it to accidentally open.   And most Fumotos now come with an additional lever cover that further protects from any accidental opening.

• Like 1