Non-4x4 to a 4x4

What year?

at a minimum you would need:

front diff

cv shafts

front drive shaft

transmission? Unless you can remove 2wd tail piece and mate transfercase to existing transmission. 

transfer case

shorter rear drive shaft

dealer flash to tell truck it is a 4wd (if possible)

4x4 dash switch 

I’d sell 2wd and look for a 4wd :-)

Edited by 2009GMC
  • Like 2

Yes lots of people have... You take your 2 wheel drive truck to the chevy dealer and pick out the 4x4 truck that you like best, negotiate a price and whatever you lose out on trading in your 2 wheel drive will be much less than the nightmare of trying to upgrade your 2 wheel drive to 4x4 by buying parts....

• Like 13

I worked with a guy that did this on a 07 Duramax. He bought the 2wd super cheap and found a totaled 4wd and swapped/welded every thing onto the 2wd. He had very little into it. So if you can do this cheaper than trading in yours it's a good option. 

Yes lots of people have... You take your 2 wheel drive truck to the chevy dealer and pick out the 4x4 truck that you like best, negotiate a price and whatever you lose out on trading in your 2 wheel drive will be much less than the nightmare of trying to upgrade your 2 wheel drive to 4x4 by buying parts....

LOL - You had me going for a sec. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

So is this thought process similar to marrying a Brunette, only to find out that you really wanted a Blonde instead?

Simple quick cheap fix......... drive down to your local drug or big box store, and pick up a box of that hair coloring gel and Viola!  Easy as pie.  LOL

In all seriousness, I am sure it can be done, but sounds like a project. It may be easier and more cost-effective to just trade it in on a 4x4 model.

Probably involves a new BCM or something major that involves wiring and computers. That can get time consuming and costly.

11 hours ago, pgamboa said:

LOL - You had me going for a sec. LOL

Sorry to go off topic but are there threads referencing your mods (folding mirrors and seat memory)?

Edited by RadoRage
  • Like 1

Loud and clear.!!! That’s what I thought I don’t really need 4x4, never have actually but with so many mods people didn’t think were possible some made it possible,@pgamboa has help to do many of this upgrades/retrofits on my truck that I knew they were going to be impossible and now I have them..[emoji41]

I guess I found the Tower of Babel for my truck.

• Like 1

Loud and clear.!!! That’s what I thought I don’t really need 4x4, never have actually but with so many mods people didn’t think were possible some made it possible,[mention=159655]pgamboa[/mention] has help to do many of this upgrades/retrofits on my truck that I knew they were going to be impossible and now I have them..[emoji41]

I guess I found the Tower of Babel for my truck.

Lets get seat memory integrated! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2017_whitez71 said:

Just slap one of these decals on each side of the bed. :D

416hQOte1oL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Lol. 

add skid plates and z71 decal as well

Edited by 2009GMC

If you don't need it or use it don't waste your time, way more downfalls to having it and never using it. It is mostly an image purchase these days and honestly 99.9% of the people who see your truck will have no idea it is a 2wd, including all the 4wd image purchasers. Put more creature comforts in your truck as that will be much cheaper and a much greater benefit if you so desire and won't actually cost you money in the long run like a 4wd will...

Tyler

If you don't need it or use it don't waste your time, way more downfalls to having it and never using it. It is mostly an image purchase these days and honestly 99.9% of the people who see your truck will have no idea it is a 2wd, including all the 4wd image purchasers. Put more creature comforts in your truck as that will be much cheaper and a much greater benefit if you so desire and won't actually cost you money in the long run like a 4wd will...

Tyler

Well put. Intelligent answer.[emoji1303]

7 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Tyler

If I didn't live in a snowy climate I would not have 4x4.... I never really do any off roading but, given the job I have and what not I like having a 4x4 so I can get where I need to go regardless of the weather....

• Like 1