Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 Sierra with the 5.3L,  I really don't like posting on the forums for issues because it can give a bad representation of what is generally a good vehicle.  My truck never really exhibited any of the usual issues like the vibration but it has had a couple small fixes here and there. Moving seat, rusting frame, etc.  this time I just wanted to give everyone the heads up.

Well a couple months ago I was driving and the oil pump failed.  It took 2 weeks to fix. When it happened I was pretty concerned about any possible damage it caused but the dealer said it looked ok.

Fast forward to last week.  Merging onto the highway, heard a pop and lights came on everywhere.  Got it to the dealer, lifters collapsed on a cylinder.  I was without my truck all last week as they fixed that issue.  

This sunday, less than 60 miles after I picked it up, I went to accelerate in town and heard the same pop but this time it wouldn't even move if I gave it throttle.  Towed it down to the dealer and they finally looked at it yesterday.  This time they are ordering me a brand new engine.

Thankfully I still have powertrain warranty but this is a major disappointment and honestly I don't even trust the truck anymore.  What would your recommendations be?  Sell it, trade it, keep it and run it into the ground? 

They are replacing the whole engine so I would think you should be in the clear for a while. Will this problem happen again? Who knows. Could the oil pump have cause the issue with the lifters? Quite possibly. Could the lifters have failed due to the AFM? Perhaps. In the end you have a brand new engine so anything on the previous engine will not cause any issues with the new engine. It's up to you whether to keep it or not. 

Sorry to hear all the issues.  Things happen.  Who knows how often this has happened to others and not just in GM vehicles but don't get mentioned online because not everyone is on a forum. Although the number is growing, seems there is a forum for just about anything now.

If it was me I would press on with the new engine. 

Edited by Black02Silverado
spelling

Depends on your financial situation, payments etc.

Do you currently owe on it?

I would say the dealer is what you shouldn't trust, not the truck.

Run it! I'd be good with a new engine. Though it would be understandable if you got bit come shopping next time to be a bit hesitant lol

all makes have these issues here and there though. Now if i logon here one day and there are hundreds of them like the AC condenser failures...

i'd probably be putting the forsale sign up =) 

Dealers have constraints from GM.  If they don't get an approval from GM, they could end up eating the cost.

I'd keep the truck if you like it.  The next engine has as much chance to make it to 300,000 miles or all the way to a life of hauling a load of lawnmowers as a new truck.

5 minutes ago, reelbusy said:

Run it! I'd be good with a new engine. Though it would be understandable if you got bit come shopping next time to be a bit hesitant lol

all makes have these issues here and there though. Now if i logon here one day and there are hundreds of them like the AC condenser failures...

i'd probably be putting the forsale sign up =) 

LOL, I think it may have been dozens. 

Ask if you can pay for a portion of the repair, maybe $50 maybe $100. That would qualify the engine for the 3yr/100,000 mile warranty that would come with the engine if you paid for the motor completely out of pocket.  The engine as of now will be warrantied till the end of the powertrain warranty of the truck.

if you feel uneasy about it, get rid of it as long as it doesn't leave you in the hole.  No sense in driving something that you no longer trust or feel good in. 

How many miles did you have on the failed engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MarshallH
      My 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 lost all oil pressure,  and then a little later engine shut off. Did not make any loud noises, It just died. When we went to restart it, we could here the starter engage, but the engine wouldn't turn over. So we had it towed, and the guy at the tow shop put a wrench on it and tried to turn it, but was unable to. We have done no further troubleshooting, this happened on January 1, 2018.

We assumed it is seized.
      What I am wondering is what you guys think, is it likely that it seized or is something else more likely to be the problem? If it is seized what part would have seized up? And would it be better to rebuild the engine, or to put a new engine in it?

The truck has about 200k miles on it, and ran perfectly before this happened.
      It is the new body style, btw.
    • By Doublebase
      I don't know much about this system, how it operates, the stress that is placed on the lifters during cylinder deactivation. How common is this failure? Been watching some YouTube videos on the repair and it's very labor intensive...heads have to come off, etc. I see that you can buy the entire kit (lifters, gaskets) for around $500.

Have a friend that told me...just change your oil, you'll be fine. The number one cause of this failure is neglected maintenance. That true? Or is it an inherited problem with the design of the system? 

The system came out in 2007, there must be some improvements made to it since then, no? 

I must say that the AFM is allowing me to get some excellent fuel economy out of a full size truck.

So is this a common problem, or are there people with 200,000 on these trucks that never had an issue with it?
    • By 14GMCZ71
      Hello

Ordered a RANGE AFM Disabler today after reading through this forum and others.

I don't drive many miles per year - my '14 has a little over 23,000 miles on her - purchased August '14.

Truck goes in and out of V4 a lot.  Just can't see it helping much with the hills around here and my short trips.

• By ObscureGlock
      Hey all! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday morning. I’m reaching out to y’all because i purchased my 2014 Silverado 5.3 used, with 76k highway miles. From purchase, it had a decently loud engine, which after reading some posts about direct injection and the oil delivery of these engines, thought it was normal. But after comparing engine sounds to other 2014-2016 5.3 engines, I’ve come to the realization that my engine is obviously not operating the way it should be. 

My transmission acts up a bit, but that’s GM transmissions... I’ll have it checked out when I take it for a warranty service.

Anyways, I wanted to hear what you guys think on this topic. I can’t seem to figure out what the whining is from, and why it’s incredibly quieter on other trucks. Maybe my (part that produced the whine) needs to be replaced? I don’t know what it is. My starter grinds sometimes and it’s a nasty sound, but I heard starters aren’t covered under warranty. Then, I noticed, if I get on the pedal and let off, there’s a chirp...I have no freakin clue what that is, so any insight on that helps. Next up is my lifters. I have to definitely get new lifters, and I heard that the lifters go bad after many miles thanks to the B.S. AFM. Once I get the full service I’ll be tuning out the AFM. 

Then, finally, is my driveline. I get almost like a “clunk” somewhere along the driveline towards the end when I’m coming to a stop, and going... I think it might be my UJoint.

Thank you guys for any input you leave, it’s greatly appreciated.
    • By LadyStrantz
      Hello!  I am a new member from Michigan.  I am pretty sure I have another account on this forum, but it's been a few years since I last logged in, and my email has changed, so I can't get into it.  My former screen name was Pinky. 

I came to this forum several years ago prior to having the drive train swapped from my '93 Suburban 2500 to my '94.  I got a lot of great advice & information here, and everything worked out well with that project. I have returned because I have a specific repair challenge, and I'm hoping that I can get some answers once again.

My current challenge involves a (piece of junk) 2011 Chevy Equinox 2.4 liter (Ecotec).  The engine is shot due to the excessive oil consumption issues that is very common with this vehicle.  We would like to avoid encountering the same problem, once we replace the engine, so we'd like to find out what would be involved with retrofitting an engine from a newer model year that doesn't have this same issue.  I spoke with a parts supplier who recommended trying to find out if it's possible to retrofit even a 2015 or 2016 into this vehicle.  I know this involves changing additional parts that would not be required if we just did a direct swap, but we want to get away from the years that this engine had this problem.

I just do not want to end up with an eternally on CEL because of incompatible emissions, etc... Lol.  So, we need to make sure we do this correctly.

My Equinox does NOT have the AUA option, was manufactured on 3/18/11, and has K as the 8th digit of the VIN.

Please give me any info and suggestions you can provide.  It's much appreciated!

(We still owe on this vehicle, which is why we're putting time, $, and effort into repairing it.  So, while setting it on fire or pushing it off a cliff have definitely crossed our minds, neither seems to be a viable option. LOL.)