Say Hello To The Silverado's New 2.7L Turbo Four

Zane

41 minutes ago, AgDoctor said:

This is sad. I would expect garbage like this from Ram or Toyota, but not the General. Why would a sane person pony up extra money for an over complicated 4 cyl when they could buy a 5.3 that's more reliable and cheaper to build. Makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to be sad about!  I think the General is going out of its way to keep loyal customers like you and me happy.  They're keeping all of the current engines and introducing a couple of new choices.  You can still have a 5.3 and I can have another 4.3!  I am quite intrigued by the new 4 cylinder gas engine and will be interested to see if they are a significant upgrade in economy, durability and performance over the current V6.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two things about this 4 Cylinder.

1) Could this be GM’s run around with CAFE standards? Offering an engine option could suffice this strict rule.

2)The fact that this 4 Cylinder gets that much power compared to Ferds V6 is pretty awesome. Makes me wonder what they have in store later in this generation line.

Chevy once again following in the footsteps of ford... They may make a better product but it’s impossible to deny that Chevy is playing catch up with Ford in some aspects. They may catch up and surpass but it’s still catch up. It is as if they wait for Ford to try something innovative and when consumers buy it Chevy jumps on board and makes it better. Clever

Damn, that little four banger is impressive.

And, for some reason I feel more comfortable with a 2.7L turbo I4 than a 2.7L turbo V6.

Maybe it's because of the displacement per cylinder what gives me a better feeling about this engine.

I'm going to test drive it!

This torque curve is what I'm looking for. Easy, available, confident.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 1

Chevy once again following in the footsteps of ford... They may make a better product but it’s impossible to deny that Chevy is playing catch up with Ford in some aspects. They may catch up and surpass but it’s still catch up. It is as if they wait for Ford to try something innovative and when consumers buy it Chevy jumps on board and makes it better. Clever

Kind of how apple does things with Android. Android gets the features first, but apple always knocks it out of the park when they get similar features a year or so later

• Like 2

I can’t believe the torque they obtained out of a 4 cylinder at just 1,500 rpms.  This little motor produces more torque lower in the rpms than the 5.3. Sure the 5.3 has a higher max torque but this 4 cylinders curve looks much more useable. Looks like it will only be standard on the LT and RST trims, but these trims will have an option of the 5.3/8spd. 

I dont want a turbo in my vehicle either but the writing is on the wall that it’s the future. Natural aspired motors may become a thing of the past with increasing CAFE standards. 

• Like 1

I will stick with a V8, preferably one with pushrods and a single cam. I have really tried to understand what you guys are so excited about on this new engine and I don't see it. I typically opt for the larger engines and like power. I pull trailers and run bigger tires on all my trucks, so I like the pep.

Exciting would have been a turbo on the 5.3 or more power from the 6.2, or even turbo on the 4.3. Some of you seem to like turbos so good maybe that's what does it. I had a Duramax and it had a turbo. My tractors all have turbos...they are diesels and built differently. My opinion and I know it is not following modern wants.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AgDoctor said:

I will stick with a V8, preferably one with pushrods and a single cam. I have really tried to understand what you guys are so excited about on this new engine and I don't see it. I typically opt for the larger engines and like power. I pull trailers and run bigger tires on all my trucks, so I like the pep.

Exciting would have been a turbo on the 5.3 or more power from the 6.2, or even turbo on the 4.3. Some of you seem to like turbos so good maybe that's what does it. I had a Duramax and it had a turbo. My tractors all have turbos...they are diesels and built differently. My opinion and I know it is not following modern wants.

Putting turbos on a 4.3 is a waste of time, with any luck the 4.3 will go away, it should of been shelved years ago.  The 2.7 GTDI has 310HP and 338 foot pounds which peaks at 1,500 RPM and stays flat.  A 5.3 does not have that much useable torque that low with that flat a curve.  It will get the job done and give better mpg than the V8’s.

With the success of Ford’s evoboosts I applaud GM.  DOHC/OHC engines have been around a long time and have proven their durability.  This new engine will get GM a lot of sales, and bring customers back.  

After having My Hemi Ram, this will get me back in a GM, but this is the only way.  The 5.3/6.2 do nothing for me.

But if their pricing is insane, it could be a Ford F150 2.7 Ecoboost.

Edited by WilliamBos