Say Hello To The Silverado's New 2.7L Turbo Four

Zane

41 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

I am confused.  Reading that big blurb on the 4 cylinder diesel leaves me wondering how efficient can it be with a claimed high compression ratio of 10.0:1 and the use of direct injection to help control spark knock.  I always thought "spark knock" was the premise of how a diesel worked.  How are they getting a 10:1 diesel engine to fire up cold? 

It’s 11/1 compression.  And spark knock is controlled by computer.  It’s the modern age of engines.  

2 hours ago, Nargg said:

It’s 11/1 compression.  And spark knock is controlled by computer.  It’s the modern age of engines.  

A diesel engine with the same compression ratio as the 5.3 and a full point less than the 6.2 engine?  Diesels have rarely strayed below 15:1 and typically can run as high as 24:1.  Diesels ignite fuel by heat of compression, and at even 11:1 it must be difficult to get it to auto-ignite, or have they put spark plugs in the new diesel?  

3 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

I am confused.  Reading that big blurb on the 4 cylinder diesel leaves me wondering how efficient can it be with a claimed high compression ratio of 10.0:1 and the use of direct injection to help control spark knock.  I always thought "spark knock" was the premise of how a diesel worked.  How are they getting a 10:1 diesel engine to fire up cold? 

That isn't a diesel. The 2.0 diesel in my 2014 Cruze is 16.3:1  I would think anything less it wouldn't run properly since they run off of compression and do not have spark plugs.

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

That isn't a diesel. The 2.0 diesel in my 2014 Cruze is 16.3:1  I would think anything less it wouldn't run properly since they run off of compression and do not have spark plugs.

I don't know how I read that as being diesel.  But for some reason it read diesel to me right up until the compression ratio.  Even the description of the power range sounded diesel like. 

On 5/18/2018 at 3:51 PM, AgDoctor said:

This is sad. I would expect garbage like this from Ram or Toyota, but not the General. Why would a sane person pony up extra money for an over complicated 4 cyl when they could buy a 5.3 that's more reliable and cheaper to build. Makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the interviews they are speaking of the tests they put the 4 banger through to keep it up to par with the 5.3 also the MPG will be great and the mods will be plentiful.

Honestly I'm a v8 guy my self but turbos do wonders I mean the 2.0 in the Camaros and Ats are crazy when it comes to modding with a tune intake and exhaust 300hp is easy. So imagine this engine being tuned it would be great we could possibly see numbers in the 360's for hp and easily get into the low to mid 400's for torgue and it would still be good on gas never mind the weight diff between a 6.2 and this new engine it would be close on a race but the 4 banger might be quite faster after tuning. I mean look at ford even though they are a rival look at the ecoboost although I hate the engine it has major capabilities because of its turbos. So dont hate on the little guy atleast not yet see how much can be done for tuning. but the size of the turbo from the pictures seems promising to me.

Edited by 6FOOT6Chevy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 6FOOT6Chevy said:

Honestly I'm a v8 guy my self but turbos do wonders I mean the 2.0 in the Camaros and Ats are crazy when it comes to modding with a tune intake and exhaust 300hp is easy. So imagine this engine being tuned it would be great we could possibly see numbers in the 360's for hp and easily get into the low to mid 400's for torgue and it would still be good on gas never mind the weight diff between a 6.2 and this new engine it would be close on a race but the 4 banger might be quite faster after tuning. I mean look at ford even though they are a rival look at the ecoboost although I hate the engine it has major capabilities because of its turbos. So dont hate on the little guy atleast not yet see how much can be done for tuning. but the size of the turbo from the pictures seems promising to me.

Assuming I read the blurb correctly, a base engine that can generate peak power/torque Fromm 1500 to 4800 should be perfect for the weekend warrior pulling his weekend toys in a relatively light trailer, then come Monday have that same vehicle run 0 to 60 in under 7 seconds and return car like mileage for his commutes to work seems almost too good to be true. 

I realize Ford started this trend of small engine plus turbo, but GM appears to have waited to see if it would hold up before tossing their hat in.  This engine really sounds like GM sat their engineers down and asked them to submit their suggestions for an engine that could produce a high, flat torque curve, be small displacement for mileage, be lightweight, while also being tough. 

The idea of being able to alter cam lift independent of altering duration is an idea that has been around a long time, but no one cared to invest the money to R&D it. Making the engine oversquare kills horsepower numbers simply by reducing peak rpm.  Piston speed ends up being to high to keep bottom end together at high rpm's.  The electric water pump idea to prevent the heater core from cooling off in the winter at long lights or heavy stop and go traffic was some serious forethought.  Not sure about the a/c compressor not running when engine is stopped though. 

We will have to wait and see how this engine turns out, but one bonus is that they did not reuse an existing design and simply modify it the best they could.  This engine simply put, sounds to good to be true. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 1.5 liter turbo charged 4 cylinder in my equinox with auto-stop. When the ac is running it will not auto-stop at a stop light.

Just got back from a trip where there was no interstate driving and was able to get 36.1 mpg. Very impressed with the engine.

Can't wait till the new trucks come out. 

• 3 weeks later...