4cyl Silverado?

I hope this engine is successful. I just wonder if you’ll be able to convince people it’s worth buying. Perception is reality for many. I also wonder if this ends up in the Colorado? 

If Ford truck sales of turbos are any indication, GM will sell plenty of them. 

I wouldn’t tow anything too heavy with it, but it’s not a bad choice for a homeowner truck that runs around town doing errands with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though the 2.7 isn't for me how can anybody argue with it's power curve? You get max torque the instant you mash the throttle all the way to 4000rpm. This truck will launch like nobody's business and run at peak torque at cruising speed.

I don't know how many takers it'll have but unless you're expecting large V8 or 3.5 Ecoboost-like performance I'm sure those who buy it will appreciate it for light duty use espcially running errands around town. It's obvious they aren't marketing it for heavy hauling through the mountains based on it's tow rating. 

As far as wearing turbos out fast, don't even know where to begin with that. It's safe to assume the motor itself will have some teething issues on the first models in general but turbos are designed to spin for years.  Of course adding turbos and other technology lends to more things that can go wrong or cause other things to go wrong but technology isn't going away.

Having said all this, I'll keep my ancient 6.0 with it's minimalist technology :thumbs:

• Like 2

^^^ Well said.  One observation is that your ancient 6.0 has pretty sophisticated components when compared to powerplants in my 70's 3/4 tons!  The efficiency of truck engines when compared to a couple of decades ago is outstanding.  The fact that we are able to drive crewcabs around town as our daily drivers at today's fuel prices is incredible, imo.  In 1985 I backed out of a deal to buy a 4X4 crewcab because of single digit mpg's.  You could only buy them in 3/4 or 1 ton configurations and they were built to transport work crews!  

26 minutes ago, Donstar said:

^^^ Well said.  One observation is that your ancient 6.0 has pretty sophisticated components when compared to powerplants in my 70's 3/4 tons!  The efficiency of truck engines when compared to a couple of decades ago is outstanding.  The fact that we are able to drive crewcabs around town as our daily drivers at today's fuel prices is incredible, imo.  In 1985 I backed out of a deal to buy a 4X4 crewcab because of single digit mpg's.  You could only buy them in 3/4 or 1 ton configurations and they were built to transport work crews!  

Fair point and graduating from my 1981 F150 with a 2bbl carb to a newage 1988 GMC 350 TBI with a trick interior the modern 6.0 truck is a technological marvel lol I do appreciate the "basic" tech on the current L96 relative to what is currently on the market and about to be introduced to the market into the future. The mileage on this truck is horrible compared to modern standards but nearly double what the old single digit trucks would get as you point out with intifnitly more power, diveability and capability. I guess some tech isn't so bad afterall :lol:

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, Donstar said:

Have you found a comparison chart?  I was able to find the payload differences but not the towing.  I would think that the payload difference in two identical trucks with different engines would reflect the actual weight difference in the running gear. Is the 4 cyl heavier than the V6?  Or is the 8 spd significantly heavier than the 6 spd?  I believe your comment is correct but came as bit of a surprise.  

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/jun/0628-silverado-pricing.html

Max towing capacity with 4.3/A6:  8,000lbs.

Max towing capacity with 2.7/A8:  7,200lbs.

The towing capacity of the 2.7 T4 is in line with my both the gas (7,000lbs) and diesel (7700lbs) Colorado, except the Silverado 1/2 ton offer almost up to 1000lbs more payload over the Colorado. 

Edited by newdude

To me a 4cyl motor doesn't belong in a full size truck I don't care how much HP and torque it has. I can see it now a buddy our someone walks up to you and says man that's a nice truck what kind of motor is in it and you say a 4 cylinder guaranteed to get a head shake and a laugh

Edited by Silverado4x4

18 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

To me a 4cyl motor doesn't belong in a full size truck I don't care how much HP and torque it has. I can see it now a buddy our someone walks up to you and says man that's a nice truck what kind of motor is in it and you say a 4 cylinder guaranteed to get a head shake and a laugh

Its always a tough call when you're making choices based on peer approval.  A "nice truck" will have ample power to do the tasks within its advertised specifications.  If one of your needs is to beat your friends at the racetrack, or haul heavier than posted,  then you wouldn't be buying the base engine.  I bought my truck new in  October of 2015 and get compliments to this day.  Many will ask the size of the engine and I proudly say "the 6 cylinder".  This will often lead to conversations that garner more respect for the truck and never "a head shake and a laugh."  I wouldn't hesitate to brag to people I've got the new 310 hp 4 cylinder.  Inevitably truck conversations in my neighborhood lead to gas mileage and I'm sure this new engine will have bragging rights in this area!

2 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Its always a tough call when you're making choices based on peer approval.  A "nice truck" will have ample power to do the tasks within its advertised specifications.  If one of your needs is to beat your friends at the racetrack, or haul heavier than posted,  then you wouldn't be buying the base engine.  I bought my truck new in  October of 2015 and get compliments to this day.  Many will ask the size of the engine and I proudly say "the 6 cylinder".  This will often lead to conversations that garner more respect for the truck and never "a head shake and a laugh."  I wouldn't hesitate to brag to people I've got the new 310 hp 4 cylinder.  Inevitably truck conversations in my neighborhood lead to gas mileage and I'm sure this new engine will have bragging rights in this area!

Amen.

so long

j-ten-ner

My past preferences for V8s was mostly based on exhaust sound not so much on performance. My DDs are quiet now 1 fuel mileage 2 performance rule the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Ford is getting hit pretty hard right now with the ecoboost law suits.  I've followed the F150 forum for some time as I was considering a swap from my Tahoe.  As a general synopsis, the boards are pretty much split between the 5.0 and ecoboost engines, with the 3.5 being best to tow with, 2.7 for fuel economy, and 5.0 as most reliable.  Most say the 2.7 and 3.5 really have to boost up and burn fuel when towing or driving over 70 MPH which decreases efficiency and stresses the motor.  There do seem to be a lot more major engine defects with the 2.7 ecoboost.  I have a fusion with the 4cy 1-5 ecoboost and it has been reliable up to the 48k mile mark averaging 25 Mpg lifetime, for comparison I had a 2015 Taurus with the V6 that averaged 23 MPG lifetime over 110k.  Both cars were quick.  As such, having the eco with auto shut off has been a wash.  I am starting to get weird rattles and wastegate vibrations at this point and I am looking forward to hitting a 100k miles and getting a new commuter.  I do not feel like the motor is as tight as it was when new.  My GM 5.3 with 220k feels tighter.  With that said, I will not be looking at the 4cyl in the Silverado.  

With the problems Ford is having with the ecoboost and if GM and Jeep have issues with turbo 4s in later model SUV/trucks, I hope this increases incentives for the big 3 to ensure

the diesels do well.  The new Ford diesel is hitting 25 mpg in a 4x4 crew and can tow over 10k with a payload over 2k.  The motor itself is only about 40lbs more that the ecoboost.  Disappointing is the fact you have to get a Lariat if not a fleet owner.  The powerstroke is name only, in that it is made in the UK, so getting parts, ect down the road may be an issue.  This is probably why Ford is only forecasting diesel F150 sales being in the 5% range.  I honestly think they have thrown in with the ecoboost and are only doing the diesel to just say the have one in the 1/2 ton market.  The RAM ecodiesel wont be back until next summer and that motor is VM motori, which has has some reliability issues.  So, I am hoping GM's Duramax 3.0 turbo in-line straight six is a winner.  I hope it will be available on all trim lines with a premium of around 3k.  If so, it will do well.   I think it will be reliable as it's the only American manufactured diesel offered in the 1/2 ton class (not counting the TItan as it's only offered on the Titan HD and is not a 3.0).  

Edited by lrtexasman

My 2¢...

Strictly my opinion, but no turbo for me, and I really don't want a 4 cyl in my full size truck.  Personal preference, that's all.  I've had a couple of cars in the past w/ a turbo (TDI Golf and an EB Mustang), and I just never loved them.  When I was looking for a truck from Ford and GM, the EB was never on my radar, even though my brother has a '15 F150 2.7 EB that he tows his race car with.  He's had a couple of issues with it, but nothing drive-train related.  Not knocking them, just not for me.

It is about displacement and the power curve, not the number of cylinders. Engine manufacturers have gone as much as possible to engines with fewer cylinders to have cleaner combustion and less pollution hitting the catalytic converter. Many tractor and marine engines have 4 cylinders and they are doing very "heavy lifting".

A problem has been the turbos used in the V6 engines that are not designed for sustained operation. Same problem with the small Ecoboost diesel engines from Cumins that are being sold in the RAM pickups. This is also where what is best for the manufacturers who want to improve fuel economy with as little effort as possible and what is best for their customers who want reliability and lowest cost to own and operate a vehicle are in direct opposition.

It is really a con to sell a buyer a diesel jeep that is going to provide a much higher total cost of ownership to provide the manufacturer with better CAFE figures. European car and truck buyers also were suckered in as well as their governments and now they have heavily polluted air in all their cities and the only real fix is to get people to buy electric vehicles to offset the heavy diesel pollution.