Discovered! Features you may not have known about...

On 7/9/2019 at 10:20 AM, Brummie99 said:

While towing my new travel trailer last week, slowing down for a turn, slight downhill but not braking, the truck suddenly down-shifted and revs went up to 5,000+.

Looked down and the DIC said "Grade braking activated". Cool! I thought that was only on diesels.

EXHAUST braking is only on diesels.  All the new GM trucks have GRADE braking.  It works differently between "regular" mode and Tow/Haul mode.  You can also turn it off if you don't like it but you need to do it each time the truck is started.

The operation of it is explained in the owners manual ...

Edited by sk
  • Like 2

• txab changed the title to Discovered! Features you may not have known about...
13 hours ago, Flinthills said:

I apologize in advance if this is a duplication but when I get a phone call on my paired Samsung Note 8, it displays the phones' battery status and signal strength on the screen. :)

Just noticed that yesterday on mine...

Likewise when connected via CarPlay. But it’s different on the intellink screens vs when you’re in the car play screens. Like in intellink it shows battery life, on CarPlay it only shows signal strength and data type at the left side above the home button:

21ab5989f73509ad33fb45609677b872.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, slide187 said:

Likewise when connected via CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't use Car Play, just connected with Bluetooth.

Think this feature started with the introduction of Wi-Fi in the trucks.

When traveling with my dogs, I always put them in the bed. I have a rubber mat on the floor to keep them from sliding around and have a topper on it. I have the sliding rear window on the cab and the windows are tinted. I usually have the slider opened as well as front window on the topper so I can try to keep an eye on them. Besides the bed lights, I have a dome light on the topper that is hooked up via the bed lights. At night, especially with the tinted cab sliding window, it is very hard to see what they are doing back there. I knew that while moving, just pushing the cargo light switch wouldnt work. Just for kicks, I tried switching into neutral while rolling down the road, and sure enough, the bed lights and topper dome light came on. Now I can check on them any time I want at night.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

When traveling with my dogs, I always put them in the bed. I have a rubber mat on the floor to keep them from sliding around and have a topper on it. I have the sliding rear window on the cab and the windows are tinted. I usually have the slider opened as well as front window on the topper so I can try to keep an eye on them. Besides the bed lights, I have a dome light on the topper that is hooked up via the bed lights. At night, especially with the tinted cab sliding window, it is very hard to see what they are doing back there. I knew that while moving, just pushing the cargo light switch wouldnt work. Just for kicks, I tried switching into neutral while rolling down the road, and sure enough, the bed lights and topper dome light came on. Now I can check on them any time I want at night.

The bed lights don't work while in gear?  Weird.  

4 minutes ago, Nick The Great said:

The bed lights don't work while in gear?  Weird.  

Thought about that… Probably to keep the overhead centermounted cab high light from shining in the faces of drivers behind you.

Good to know, when someone comes up behind me with their high beams on I turn on the cargo lamp. Worked great in my 2001 Sierra, didn't know it was disabled in the newer ones.

This is one I got from @pgamboa

How to swap the glovebox lock for anybody doing the whole dash swap on a 2014-18 Chevy or gmc there a small notch when u pull the lever down on the glove box u needa a small screwdriver or something thin to push it down and pop it out the cylinder hole, it’s a small silver/chrome piece holding the lock n the cylinder!!!! 

• Like 1

Today, I remote started my ‘15. 

It wasn't until I unlocked the doors, got in, turned the key and shifted to drive that I was alerted the right rear door wasn’t fully closed. 

I didn’t think it would start under that circumstance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Navigation top green icon on radio screen changes with direction. 

I always payed attention to the cluster and after 1.5 year of ownership just noticed it changes on radio screen as well. 

• Like 1