Discovered! Features you may not have known about...

22 hours ago, Ay-Ay-Ron said:

Scrolling through this feed and I am intrigued by the idea of rolling down the windows using the unlock button on the fob as well as the ability to fold in your mirrors using the lock button on the fob.  I'm driving a 2018 Sierra and am not able to do either of these.  Do you know of a particular setting that i need to adjust or anything?

Here is the mirrors: Auto Mirror Folding
If equipped, with the ignition off,
press and hold Q on the RKE
transmitter for approximately
one second to automatically fold the
exterior mirrors. Press and hold K
on the RKE transmitter for
approximately one second to unfold.
See Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
System Operation 0 37.
This feature is turned on or off
through vehicle personalization. See
Vehicle Personalization 0 160.

• Like 1

Flipping through and havent seen this yet. It's nothing new seeing as my 04 Silverado had this, but when you lock your truck (with the horn enabled on the 2nd lock) and the horn doesn't sound that means a door isn't shut. My GF gives me crap for making the horn sound everytime I lock it, but a few times a door wasnt shut and the horn didnt blow so I knew something was wrong. Simple things make life easier.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was never a fan of the "auto" setting on the 4WD selector, but for whatever reason I tried it today in the snow and ice here in Colorado. I flipped to the 'off-road' page of the DIC and noticed it said AWD, not 4WD, with all 4 tires in green. I didn't realize it's a whole different mode, assumed it would switch at will between 2WD and 4WD. It was quite nice to have that extra traction going down the road and not have to shift back to 2WD to enter a parking lot without binding up while turning.

• Like 4

I have a buddy who's a GM mechanic and he told me not to drive around with it in AWD for extended periods.  I run mine just like you do here in Colorado on the roads when they're patchy.  My buddy said it locks the front hubs and senses slip and engages when necessary.  I still run in it AWD in those conditions.  If it's solid snow/ice it's in 4 wheel high.

21 minutes ago, parshal said:

I have a buddy who's a GM mechanic and he told me not to drive around with it in AWD for extended periods.  I run mine just like you do here in Colorado on the roads when they're patchy.  My buddy said it locks the front hubs and senses slip and engages when necessary.  I still run in it AWD in those conditions.  If it's solid snow/ice it's in 4 wheel high.

What is "extended periods"? 50 miles? All day? The winter months? I've heard that before and have always wondered. Because when its snowing in MN I throw it in Auto unless I'm on the lake or something. And put it in 2WD When the road clears 

34 minutes ago, parshal said:

Yeah I've heard it's not the best for full time driving, which makes sense to me. I drove a 2WD Dodge Dakota for years out here and always managed thru snow and such, so mostly I just leave it in 2 and make do. Buuut, when it gets slippery and I'm in a hurry (this morning's commute) and I worry about the other genius drivers out there, knowing that I have that AWD option is nice.

34 minutes ago, parshal said:

Still notable however that they never added anything to the owner’s manual about this. After decades of Auto 4x4 modes (aka: full time, AWD, etc) and vehicles that can't even be switched out of AWD, people still say "you shouldn’t drive around in AWD all the time, because...". 

1 minute ago, ftwhite said:

Still notable however that they never added anything to the owner’s manual about this. After decades of Auto 4x4 modes (aka: full time, AWD, etc) and vehicles that can't even be switched out of AWD, people still say "you shouldn’t drive around in AWD all the time, because...". 

My wife's Equinox was full time AWD with no way to turn it off.

My Ford Escape is full-time AWD drive, too.  I'm betting there's a difference in the way it works vs 4wd in a truck.  In other words, I bet the locked hubs on a true 4wd create more drag than a vehicle with true AWD.  I'm sure someone can explain it.

I do exactly as co-stark and ftwhite.  I use the full-time 4wd (which probably the correct term vs true AWD) when the roads are patchy.  I think my buddy meant don't leave it in full-time all the time.  Just use it temporarily as you would 4wd high.

Probably mentioned, but if you have the "all windows down" feature turned on with the keyfob, holding the unlock button to let the windows go down, if you let go as soon as they start to drop, the windows will stop at the point when they are going down, etc. I do it so my windows are just cracked to let fresh air in/let hot air out if I forget while in the truck  when I park.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, parshal said:

My Ford Escape is full-time AWD drive, too.  I'm betting there's a difference in the way it works vs 4wd in a truck.  In other words, I bet the locked hubs on a true 4wd create more drag than a vehicle with true AWD.  I'm sure someone can explain it.

I do exactly as co-stark and ftwhite.  I use the full-time 4wd (which probably the correct term vs true AWD) when the roads are patchy.  I think my buddy meant don't leave it in full-time all the time.  Just use it temporarily as you would 4wd high.

Here is a good tech document on the tranfer case with an RPO of NQH:

https://www.evopower.ca/mrws/filedriver/MP3023_and_3024_Operation.pdf

Clearly states that the Auto4x4 is clutch based and can be used full time even on dry pavement. I only turn it off to save gas on longer drives. Even in the dead of summer, it works great for gravel drives and loose surfaces. I paid for it, so i use it. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ftwhite said:

I paid for it, so i use it. 

This is the reason I dont buy used.

That article further enforces the reason why I dont use auto and why local GM dealerships stock transfercase clutches. Obviously the clutch isnt burnt out everytime you use it, but with the right spotty ice conditions they have worn out in under 120 miles. 

On 1/20/2019 at 3:09 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Here is the mirrors: Auto Mirror Folding
If equipped, with the ignition off,
press and hold Q on the RKE
transmitter for approximately
one second to automatically fold the
exterior mirrors. Press and hold K
on the RKE transmitter for
approximately one second to unfold.
See Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
System Operation 0 37.
This feature is turned on or off
through vehicle personalization. See
Vehicle Personalization 0 160.

It Works! lol

Thanks for the info, functioning as described now.