Aftermarket bed lighting with oem install

I can't seem to find anyone that has wired aftermarket lights for the bed of the truck, to the busbar above the spare tire. I had the lights in my 2015, they didn't do a very good job lighting up the bed. There are much better aftermarket options, but I want it to operate as if factory... I no new switches. And it just seems easier to only have to run the wires a few feet, as opposed to into the cab.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How did you tie it into the factory wiring? And did you use a generic LED strip?

There is a factory connector in that bus bar underneath bed by the spare for the factory BED light LED.

If you need the connector for 14/15, I have them with the pins. Simply run your two wires there, crimp pins onto it and load the connector. Plug it in.

If you have 16+, I’ll have to see if I have those in stock.

I can make you a connector with wires crimped on with a 12” lead too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have a few pics of the harness I made.  I bought some lights from amazon and they are nice and bright.  I have a few that have died out though, so they'll have to be replaced sometime.

• Like 1

I saw that you mentioned a mod so the lights come on with the key fob. Is that an either/or option? Or could I actually wire it through the dummy switch like you did, and have them come on when hitting the unlock button on the fob?

Does any one know the numbers of the 3 plugs on the bus bar?  I'm thinking one is the K38 but I was trying to located them on the Service manual to see what all the wires are in each of these plugs for a couple ideas I'm looking at. 

• Like 1

I just bought the GM harness(was cheap) and then cut off the pig tails for the GM lights and wired them to the led strip lights. Very easy and very cheap, I don’t have the harness part number; maybe someone here can drop that.

I just bought the GM harness(was cheap) and then cut off the pig tails for the GM lights and wired them to the led strip lights. Very easy and very cheap, I don’t have the harness part number; maybe someone here can drop that.

Holy shit bro! They actually sell that... And for like, 30 bucks? I am still a little suspect at the possible ease and cheap-ability that gm would let us have with this thing! Part #22878806

Holy shit bro! They actually sell that... And for like, 30 bucks? I am still a little suspect at the possible ease and cheap-ability that gm would let us have with this thing! Part #22878806

Yes sir, was a very easy mod. I’ll get you some shots of mine when I get gone from shift tomorrow. I have a canopy so the led lights look amazing in there. Light entire space.
  • Like 1