In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Appleboy84

2013 Silverado Possible Issues After Battery Replacement?

My 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT still has the same Battery from 2012. Since it turns 6 this year, I am looking into replacing it. I’ll probably be fine just using a battery saver, but I’m curious to those who own a 07-13 Silverado and similar vehicles. Have you had any issues with replacing your battery? I’m mostly concerned about performance of the vehicle, and will I have any issues with XM radio and Onstar since I use both. Will they work like they would before the battery was replaced? Or will they have issues with syncing and keeping my settings. I’m pretty sure these trucks don’t have a security code, but can someone confirm this for me? Anything else I’m not thinking of?

26 minutes ago, Appleboy84 said:

My 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT still has the same Battery from 2012. Since it turns 6 this year, I am looking into replacing it. I’ll probably be fine just using a battery saver, but I’m curious to those who own a 07-13 Silverado and similar vehicles. Have you had any issues with replacing your battery? I’m mostly concerned about performance of the vehicle, and will I have any issues with XM radio and Onstar since I use both. Will they work like they would before the battery was replaced? Or will they have issues with syncing and keeping my settings. I’m pretty sure these trucks don’t have a security code, but can someone confirm this for me? Anything else I’m not thinking of?

Why would you expect issues?  Short answer is no, I replaced mine with 850cc battery.  Might have reset the presets in radio, but nothing life shattering 

It’s not all that uncommon, with new vehicles you have to do a little research before you just tear into it. Some have two batteries if you have stop start. Even as far back as the mid 90s on Fords you had different TQ specks on something as simple as changing spark plugs. Over tightening those plugs and they’ll strip. How many people know about putting grease on plugs with aluminum heads? The rules have changed do the research first, or a simple job can cost thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, mymaggiebell said:

Why would you expect issues?  Short answer is no, I replaced mine with 850cc battery.  Might have reset the presets in radio, but nothing life shattering 

As KARNUT said, there can be headaches. I’m not sure if there are any for these trucks, but Japanese cars for example. I’ve heard of some having idle issues and radio codes after disconnecting the battery.

However, since you didn’t seem to have problems, and I haven’t really heard of problems, I think I should be good to replace the battery.

Edited by Appleboy84

Hi, 

I have a lot of experience with batteries. What I mean is that I have had many problems with them, tested a lot of them, replaced hundreds. 

Facts: 

The age of a battery doesn't determine the viability of it. 

Don't replace a battery just because it is old  - test it first! 

I have seen 1 year old batteries die, and I have seen 8 year old batteries that test good. 

Every battery will die eventually. 

Draining a battery all the way down is bad for it, and each time you do this, it damages it. 

Replacing the battery fluid will not help a weak battery much.

Battery tenders have limited success. 

The best battery in the world is a brand new battery. 

When buying a battery, you want the highest CCA that you can find (for a good price). 

The best way to care for a battery is to use it regularly. 

If your changing a battery, use a 12V cigarette lighter power backup to save ECU/Stereo info. 

You can not determine the health of a battery without a battery tester. 

Never buy a used battery without testing it properly. 

USE EYE PROTECTION when replacing batteries. 

Never remove the + battery terminal first. 

A spare battery is the best insurance you can buy. 

You can buy used batteries locally that test "10 out of 10" for 25% cost of new. 

Walmart sells "ValuePower batteries" for about $50 each with free install VS $120 at the parts store or $150 at a repair shop. 

You test the battery with a "load tester" not a volt meter. 

The battery must be fully charged before testing the load. 

If you buy a battery tester, and use it - you will triple your knowledge about batteries. 

9F50C2EF-123E-4F33-8CBB-96CB16015FA2-huge.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

41hlf6QPS5L.jpg

Edited by starman8tdc

I think you guys are completely blowing this out of proportion.  It isn't rocket science. 

Disconnect negative terminal first

Remove old battery

Install new battery

Reconnect negative terminal last.

Start truck and drive.

It really is that simple.

• Like 1

Its true that changing a battery is as simple a putting gas in your rig, but "knowledge is power" no pun intended. The more info available the better. 

No issues at all when I changed the battery in my 2010 Sierra.  I think I had to reset the time on the clock, but didn't even lose my radio presets.

Zero issues with these trucks.  I’ve done my 2013 with no problems.  Did it the same way I did it in a 63 Impala I used to have.

On 5/19/2018 at 4:51 PM, intheburbs said:

I think you guys are completely blowing this out of proportion.  It isn't rocket science. 

Disconnect negative terminal first

Remove old battery

Install new battery

Reconnect negative terminal last.

Start truck and drive.

It really is that simple.

+1 more thing. Touch the 2 battery cable ends together for several seconds before installing the new battery, in order to help prevent any brain farts in the sensitive electronic systems. 

Edited by MaverickZ71