DISAPPOINTING 2019 Chevy Powertrain / Gearing options

Here is a list of disappointing powertrain moves by Chevy:

Single-speed transfer case is now standard. Two-speed transfer case is available if you order the Off-road Package, which can’t be ordered with the Max Towing Package so you must choose between a two-speed transfer case or lower gearing. WTF? These should go hand-in-hand.  By the way, any legitimate truck should have a two-speed transfer case!

Chevy went with taller gearing for 2019 with 5.3L

2019 5.3L 8 Speed 3.23 with Max Tow Package 3.42

2018 5.3L 8 Speed 3.42 with Max Tow Package 3.73

The Trailboss can’t be ordered with lower gearing or 10 speed transmission or 6.2L V8, which is exactly what you’d want for turning bigger tires on a so called lifted truck. The Trailboss is advertised as having a 2” lift with 33” tires. 1st275/65R18 are 32.5” tall tires, ok rounding error. 2nd275/65R18 is a stock size on many run-of-the-mill Tundra’s and F150’s so not really that special. Trailboss gearing with 6 speed transmission is 3.42 axel ratio or 8 speed with 3.23 on 5.3L.  For comparison the Raptor has the 10 Speed tranny with 4.10 gearing propelling 35s. I realize the Trailboss is no Raptor but a Trailboss with lower gearing would be a cheap, easy place to start, and the 10 speed with 6.2L would make it a legit truck. And it is not even an option to order it. Crazy.

You must spend $1-2K on a Max Tow package to change the gearing. This should be $100 option as it was years ago or better yet a no cost option.

You must spend $50K plus on an LTZ or High country to even see the 10 speed or the 6.2L, Ridiculous! 

10 speed transmission not available on 5.3L

8 and 10 speed transmission not available on 4.3L

Ford uses 10 speed transmission on almost every motor and can be had on any trim

Ram has 8 speed on every motor, including V6, and on every trim

Ford and Ram offer a variety of gear ratios (Ford 3.31, 3.55, 3.73) (Ram 3.21, 3.55, 3.92) that can be ordered without an expensive Max Tow Package. Tundra runs 3.91 or 4.30 with its 6 speed.

Come on Chevy step it up, you are so close to making a great truck product. Make lower gearing, all engines and the 10-speed transmission available across all models and trims. Ford already does it. 

Edited by 3737
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was unaware of the gearing and transfer case changes. If this is true then I can't see how they expect this to be a success. I thought it strange not to offer the 6.2 in the Trail Boss as well. Given the weak powerlessness un-advancement I can't say that I'm surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The things you mention are what has been pissing me off all week.  

How they could make such big oversights on something so easy to get right is beyond me.  It's like the crew put together a great truck then let an intern lay out the packaging during his 1st week on the job.  

Edited by shift_grind
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 3737 said:

...Single-speed transfer case is now standard. Two-speed transfer case is available if you order the Off-road Package, which can’t be ordered with the Max Towing Package so you must choose between a two-speed transfer case or lower gearing. ...

Using my truck for work for quite a while and occasionally dragging trailers through the mud on construction sites, I've to say that this is a no go for me.

In those situations, I'm using my truck like a truck is meant to be used. And I need 4low for a) having all the wheels pulling, and b) to do it in a slow and controlled manner to not damage the trailer or the tools inside.

Some may argue that 4low won't be necessary anymore because of the gearing of the transmission. In my eye, that would make a 4low option even more desirable for me!

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I guess since many trucks never work or go off road no need for 2 speed transfer case. Saves weight and of coarse money for them. When its all said and done ''trucks'' are still in a huge state of transition from trucks are for work and tough hard tasks to luxurious 4 door seating for 5 or 6 all purpose ''family '' vehicles. It really shows the transition when 2 speed transfer is deleted and gear ratio options are limited along with engine and tranny combo's. imo

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 3737 said:

Here is a list of disappointing powertrain moves by Chevy:

Single-speed transfer case is now standard. Two-speed transfer case is available if you order the Off-road Package, which can’t be ordered with the Max Towing Package so you must choose between a two-speed transfer case or lower gearing. WTF? These should go hand-in-hand.  By the way, any legitimate truck should have a two-speed transfer case!

Chevy went with taller gearing for 2019 with 5.3L

2019 5.3L 8 Speed 3.23 with Max Tow Package 3.42

2018 5.3L 8 Speed 3.42 with Max Tow Package 3.73

The Trailboss can’t be ordered with lower gearing or 10 speed transmission or 6.2L V8, which is exactly what you’d want for turning bigger tires on a so called lifted truck. The Trailboss is advertised as having a 2” lift with 33” tires. 1st275/65R18 are 32.5” tall tires, ok rounding error. 2nd275/65R18 is a stock size on many run-of-the-mill Tundra’s and F150’s so not really that special. Trailboss gearing with 6 speed transmission is 3.42 axel ratio or 8 speed with 3.23 on 5.3L.  For comparison the Raptor has the 10 Speed tranny with 4.10 gearing propelling 35s. I realize the Trailboss is no Raptor but a Trailboss with lower gearing would be a cheap, easy place to start, and the 10 speed with 6.2L would make it a legit truck. And it is not even an option to order it. Crazy.

You must spend $1-2K on a Max Tow package to change the gearing. This should be $100 option as it was years ago or better yet a no cost option.

You must spend $50K plus on an LTZ or High country to even see the 10 speed or the 6.2L, Ridiculous! 

10 speed transmission not available on 5.3L

8 and 10 speed transmission not available on 4.3L

Ford uses 10 speed transmission on almost every motor and can be had on any trim

Ram has 8 speed on every motor, including V6, and on every trim

Ford and Ram offer a variety of gear ratios (Ford 3.31, 3.55, 3.73) (Ram 3.21, 3.55, 3.92) that can be ordered without an expensive Max Tow Package. Tundra runs 3.91 or 4.30 with its 6 speed.

Come on Chevy step it up, you are so close to making a great truck product. Make lower gearing, all engines and the 10-speed transmission available across all models and trims. Ford already does it. 

after watching a video on youtube of an LT interior they do have 2 speed transfer cases as they have auto/4high/4low buttons..... it may be an option like it is on tahoes and suburbans now...

55 minutes ago, 3737 said:

This is from 2019 Silverado Order Guide. Single Speed Standard, Two Speed included and only available with Z71 or 6.2L

5b018262b4cac_Transfercase.thumb.png.8d855fe3cc8abda1a7236f1ef8af92ec.png

You have to get a Z71 to get some of the good options, but then you're stuck with crappy gears (for the 5.3). For the 6.2 / 10 speed I could live with 3.23s.  It's ironic that for the first time you can put some very big tires on these trucks without modifications, but the gears are so tall.  I started to think I would just get the max tow package, but then I lose the dual exhaust and two speed transfer case.  I do like the look of the Z71 badge too.  

They really need to make some last minute changes to how you can build these trucks.  

Edited by shift_grind
Typo
  • Like 1

It is disappointing when features are eliminated and/or changed but there is usually a well researched marketing strategy behind these moves.  The decision may just be a cost saving move but it is deemed worthwhile when compared to a potential loss in customers.  I would be bothered if my next truck only had a one speed transfer case but the reality is I've never used 4L and probably never will.  If 4L was critical for my needs, I'd buy a model or brand of truck that offers this feature.  When GM boasts about a 400 lb weight loss and subsequent fuel efficiency gains it is no surprise that something is missing from the previous generation of trucks! 

• Like 1

I am a GM truck guy and have basically been loyal to GM since my first Silverado in 1999.  However, one can easily see they are making these new trucks more SUV/crossover like.  For the first time in almost two decades I may look seriously at a Ford, or even the Ram when my lease is up in 2020.  I'm hoping after the first year of the new body style that true truck guys may take back the helm at GM.  Otherwise, I may be moving on.  If I want a single speed transfer case I'll look at a crossover.  Pathetic.

I think I'd wait to drive one before I make a decision but I have to admit though that if I was in the market for half ton today I would be leaning towards an F150 5.0. An 6.2 AT4 would be second and my GM choice. 

Stop crying about gears and look at the transmission gearing. Look at the first gear of the transmission and the rear end gear of the truck and see how those match up. The Toyota uses a 4.30 because they have a 3.33 first gear where GM has a 4.56 (8 spd) of 4.70 (10 spd). Only uneducated people fixate on the rear end and don't bother looking at the actual transmission gears, a little homework goes a long way. I promise you with 8 & 10 speeds you couldn't tell a difference between 3.23 & 3.42 unless you were told if put in both trucks.

The single speed is surprising, but most won't even notice or use it, so to lose a few people while gaining other benefits was probably weighed carefully. If you think of it chances are someone somewhere in GM has as well and there was a reason for it.

As more details come out real world will be a big decipher. Trucks can perform better then their numbers show and weight plays a big role. Remember the old Duramax while down a good amount on power out performed the Cummins and Powerstroke in the real world. Wait until then to decide when to cry or not...

Tyler

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Foghorn17 said:

I am a GM truck guy and have basically been loyal to GM since my first Silverado in 1999.  However, one can easily see they are making these new trucks more SUV/crossover like.  For the first time in almost two decades I may look seriously at a Ford, or even the Ram when my lease is up in 2020.  I'm hoping after the first year of the new body style that true truck guys may take back the helm at GM.  Otherwise, I may be moving on.  If I want a single speed transfer case I'll look at a crossover.  Pathetic.

It is great to have choice.  I left Fords in the late 90's because of their engine choices but they produce a fine looking truck.  I wouldn't leave GM because of the transfer case.  I have lived in pretty remote areas with mud and/or ice roads but never found a need for 4L.  What situations make 4L a mandatory feature for you?