DISAPPOINTING 2019 Chevy Powertrain / Gearing options

I'm not following your logic.  GM doesn't offer options in gears because they are all about quality but no one else is offering the same level of quality? this is why other manufactures can offer multiple ratios and they can't?  

Ratio change in a 4wd truck is around 1.5-2k and you will need to retune the vehicle to work with the new gears.  Another 300-500 and a voided warranty as you've now retuned your truck.  That is ridiculous.   

And, so what’s your point? No manufacturer offers rear ends for over sized tires. You’ll be voiding warranty only on parts associated with lift or rear end. What’s ridiculous, I don’t know anyone that cares about warranty once they’re spending multiple thousands to get what they want. I’m completely aware of losing warranty on parts associated with my personal desire to personalize my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The Custom Trailboss with 6 speed, 3.42 gears and 33” tires is going to be the tallest geared truck out there for 2019 across all brands.  Its damn dumb to build an off road truck with 2” lift and then have it be the tallest geared truck in the fleet. It’s especially retarded because this model out of all the models should have the lowest gearing out of everything. The LT Trailboss is better with an 8 speed and 3.23 but still zero gearing options and where is the 10 speed?? And 6.2L? GM sure hamstrung the Trailboss.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 12:55 AM, 3737 said:

The Custom Trailboss with 6 speed, 3.42 gears and 33” tires is going to be the tallest geared truck out there for 2019 across all brands.  Its damn dumb to build an off road truck with 2” lift and then have it be the tallest geared truck in the fleet. It’s especially retarded because this model out of all the models should have the lowest gearing out of everything. The LT Trailboss is better with an 8 speed and 3.23 but still zero gearing options and where is the 10 speed?? And 6.2L? GM sure hamstrung the Trailboss.

I'm sure GM agrees with you.  All of us need to tell Uncle Sam to dump the CAFE standards that hamstring vehicles such as these.  Until then a man will have to make it right on his own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2018 at 9:48 AM, SILVER SLED said:

I think the loss of 470ish pounds will more than offset the taller gearing.  The 19 Silverado should get incredible gas mileage. 

Most of the 2019 Ram 1500's I saw today have 3.21's. They didn't have any with 3.92's. 2019 Ram Tradesman's were priced over $38k on up too... I don't think so. That's what the guy interested in a 2019 Ram said too. Sticker shock for sure.

Edited by ExFordGuy77

On 7/12/2018 at 11:55 PM, 3737 said:

Good thing the 8sp with 3.23's is better than the 6sp with 3.73's. 

• Like 1

Good thing the 8sp with 3.23's is better than the 6sp with 3.73's. 

Amen and if someone looks to get more from their trucks than what’s offered well that’s why there are thousands of aftermarket off-road parts places. I know that if I were into serious racing, towing or off-roading I sure as heck wouldn’t care what GM offered, I’d be having true and proven parts installed with warranty and a big ol smile driving away from 4wheelparts.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 7:48 AM, SILVER SLED said:

I think the loss of 470ish pounds will more than offset the taller gearing.  The 19 Silverado should get incredible gas mileage. 

Make sure you always drive around on empty, that will save you 150 LBS in fuel weight and for sure don’t let any of your buddies ride with you, that will keep another few hundred pounds off at least. 

If by incredible gas mileage you mean really no different from the previous model and still not class leading then you are spot on. MPG numbers are out.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 9:36 PM, TXGREEK said:

Amen and if someone looks to get more from their trucks than what’s offered well that’s why there are thousands of aftermarket off-road parts places. I know that if I were into serious racing, towing or off-roading I sure as heck wouldn’t care what GM offered, I’d be having true and proven parts installed with warranty and a big ol smile driving away from 4wheelparts.

Please stop spreading mis-information.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2018 at 7:18 PM, TXGREEK said:

And, so what’s your point? No manufacturer offers rear ends for over sized tires. You’ll be voiding warranty only on parts associated with lift or rear end. What’s ridiculous, I don’t know anyone that cares about warranty once they’re spending multiple thousands to get what they want. I’m completely aware of losing warranty on parts associated with my personal desire to personalize my vehicle.

My point is that other manufactures do. They offer 3.73 and 3.92 gears from the factory, the same gears you're proposing to pay a few grand for. Oh but you'll have some online warranty, no GM warranty and a smile.  You're in the .1 % that thinks that is better.  

Edited by shift_grind

There are a lot of numbers thrown around on this thread.  I'd be curious to read first hand examples of where a factory offered powertrain/gearing combination could not meet the actual needs of a forum member.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 3737 said:

Make sure you always drive around on empty, that will save you 150 LBS in fuel weight and for sure don’t let any of your buddies ride with you, that will keep another few hundred pounds off at least. 

If by incredible gas mileage you mean really no different from the previous model and still not class leading then you are spot on. MPG numbers are out.

So you don't think 470lbs less weight and taller gearing will get better gas mileage? 

And no need to be an ass. 

• Like 1

The reduced gear offerings are probably a cost cutting move. Fewer choices means less parts to maintain in inventory.

Less inventory = less cost, storage space, and less taxes.

Manufacturing companies (all companies actually) pay taxes on their sale-able inventory. If it sits on the shelf it costs money.

Based on the numbers being bounced around with the transmission gear ratios, you should be able to get comparable performance.

However the loss of a choice is annoying.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:56 PM, 3737 said:

Here is a list of disappointing powertrain moves by Chevy:

Chevy went with taller gearing for 2019 with 5.3L

2019 5.3L 8 Speed 3.23 with Max Tow Package 3.42

2018 5.3L 8 Speed 3.42 with Max Tow Package 3.73

According to the Chevrolet website, the '18 5.3 with an 8 speed gets 3.23's and 3.42's with the trailer package.  No 3.73's with an 8 speed for 18.

My point is that other manufactures do. They offer 3.73 and 3.92 gears from the factory, the same gears you're proposing to pay a few grand for. Oh but you'll have some online warranty, no GM warranty and a smile.  You're in the .1 % that thinks that is better.  

I’m not the type that complains about that, I pick out a vehicle that best fit for my style and needs. Manufacturers make comparable rear ends to each other and as usual if there’s something you or I don’t like and want to change it then you’ll have a larger variety outside of the manufacturers perimeters with great warranties. So either You get what you get and you don’t throw a fit or just arrange to drop off my vehicle and pick up the way I want it, the END.

• Thanks 1