DISAPPOINTING 2019 Chevy Powertrain / Gearing options

Just came across this video and noticed a couple options Ram has no problem offering: a 3.92 axel ratio for all of $95 and a 33 gallon fuel tank. Both of these options can be had on any trim. Even a dealer in California stocks lots of 3.92s, maybe because Ram has best in class towing.  I’m a Chevy fan but they are gonna have their hands full with the new Ram, it’s a really nice truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjiSK6ztIzk

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 6.15.28 AM.png

2 hours ago, 3737 said:

Just came across this video and noticed a couple options Ram has no problem offering: a 3.92 axel ratio for all of $95 and a 33 gallon fuel tank. Both of these options can be had on any trim. Even a dealer in California stocks lots of 3.92s, maybe because Ram has best in class towing.  I’m a Chevy fan but they are gonna have their hands full with the new Ram, it’s a really nice truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjiSK6ztIzk

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 6.15.28 AM.png

I agree with this and have been saying it all along.  Some will even say the 3.92s are a unicorn but they're not, they're very common.

The only thing I disagree with is best in class towing, not at all.  The ratings of the Ram /hemi/3.92 is basically exactly the same as a 5.3/3.42 truck.  6.2s go higher.  A ran with 3.21 gears is a really sad 8200lbs or so.  GM's 3.23 gears are around 9300

15 minutes ago, shift_grind said:

I agree with this and have been saying it all along.  Some will even say the 3.92s are a unicorn but they're not, they're very common.

The only thing I disagree with is best in class towing, not at all.  The ratings of the Ram /hemi/3.92 is basically exactly the same as a 5.3/3.42 truck.  6.2s go higher.  A ran with 3.21 gears is a really sad 8200lbs or so.  GM's 3.23 gears are around 9300

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 9.24.03 AM.png

On 8/26/2018 at 1:04 PM, rkj__ said:

However, there is one other scenario where I have found 4 low useful, and that is reversing a trailer. If you are towing at or near your max rating, and you try to reverse your trailer up a slight grade, (perhaps backing an RV into a campsite) if there is so much as a small rock to get over, you may run out of gear in 4 high, reverse.

You make a great point for reversing with a trailer and using 4L. I know I want more control and precision while reversing with a heavy trailer on hills, tight spots, getting up on leveling blocks, etc, which 4L provides.  I'd think most people reverse at a slower speed (especially with trailer) compared to if they were going forward. So it's interesting that for most trucks, reverse is a taller gear than 1st gear and usually falls between 1st and 2nd. Except on the 10 Speed, where reverse is actually lower than 1st gear, which is how it should be. Another reason, in a long list, why the 10 speed is awesome, now just need GM to actually make it available across the line like ford did. Also long live the 2 speed transfer case! 

GM 10, 8, 6, 4 Speed Transmissions 

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 7.38.40 AM.png

Edited by 3737

3 hours ago, 3737 said:

You make a great point for reversing with a trailer and using 4L. I know I want more control and precision while reversing with a heavy trailer on hills, tight spots, getting up on leveling blocks, etc, which 4L provides.  I'd think most people reverse at a slower speed (especially with trailer) compared to if they were going forward. So it's interesting that for most trucks, reverse is a taller gear than 1st gear and usually falls between 1st and 2nd. Except on the 10 Speed, where reverse is actually lower than 1st gear, which is how it should be. Another reason, in a long list, why the 10 speed is awesome, now just need GM to actually make it available across the line like ford did. Also long live the 2 speed transfer case! 

GM 10, 8, 6, 4 Speed Transmissions 

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 7.38.40 AM.png

Man, seeing those ratios, it's a wonder the 4 speeds went as long as they did up into the 2000s.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, 3737 said:

Here is a list of disappointing powertrain moves by Chevy:

Single-speed transfer case is now standard. Two-speed transfer case is available if you order the Off-road Package, which can’t be ordered with the Max Towing Package so you must choose between a two-speed transfer case or lower gearing. WTF? These should go hand-in-hand.  By the way, any legitimate truck should have a two-speed transfer case!

Chevy went with taller gearing for 2019 with 5.3L

2019 5.3L 8 Speed 3.23 with Max Tow Package 3.42

2018 5.3L 8 Speed 3.42 with Max Tow Package 3.73

The Trailboss can’t be ordered with lower gearing or 10 speed transmission or 6.2L V8, which is exactly what you’d want for turning bigger tires on a so called lifted truck. The Trailboss is advertised as having a 2” lift with 33” tires. 1st275/65R18 are 32.5” tall tires, ok rounding error. 2nd275/65R18 is a stock size on many run-of-the-mill Tundra’s and F150’s so not really that special. Trailboss gearing with 6 speed transmission is 3.42 axel ratio or 8 speed with 3.23 on 5.3L.  For comparison the Raptor has the 10 Speed tranny with 4.10 gearing propelling 35s. I realize the Trailboss is no Raptor but a Trailboss with lower gearing would be a cheap, easy place to start, and the 10 speed with 6.2L would make it a legit truck. And it is not even an option to order it. Crazy.

You must spend $1-2K on a Max Tow package to change the gearing. This should be $100 option as it was years ago or better yet a no cost option.

You must spend $50K plus on an LTZ or High country to even see the 10 speed or the 6.2L, Ridiculous! 

10 speed transmission not available on 5.3L

8 and 10 speed transmission not available on 4.3L

Ford uses 10 speed transmission on almost every motor and can be had on any trim

Ram has 8 speed on every motor, including V6, and on every trim

Ford and Ram offer a variety of gear ratios (Ford 3.31, 3.55, 3.73) (Ram 3.21, 3.55, 3.92) that can be ordered without an expensive Max Tow Package. Tundra runs 3.91 or 4.30 with its 6 speed.

Come on Chevy step it up, you are so close to making a great truck product. Make lower gearing, all engines and the 10-speed transmission available across all models and trims. Ford already does it. 

My suggestion would be that you buy a Ford or a Dodge, or Ram or what ever the hell they are called! 

On 9/1/2018 at 2:04 PM, shift_grind said:

Yeah if you want a 2wd double cab V8. Go 4wd or crew cab and it makes out around 11600.

Just like their BS payload rating...err, 2wd, v6, long box only.  Crews are around 1700

Friend has a 2015 Longhorn. 996lbs payload rating :lol:. 4wd crew. 

2 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

I can get around the axle gearing thanks to the new transmissions with more, lower gears. 

The single speed transfer case though...

The 2 speed is in all Z71/x31 and 6.2 trucks. Z71/x31 is a $850 option that comes with dual exhaust and a few other things.  

Max tow brings your gears from 3.23 to 3.42 and gives you an overload spring, bigger radiator, "upgraded suspension" and a single speed transfer case.  Gvwr goes up 200lbs and towing capacity goes up around 2000lbs 

You can't get max tow and Z71.  I guess I would pick max tow as I think dual exhaust on a truck is cheezy anyways. 

Edited by shift_grind

There seems to be so much Emphasis on Towing and Hauling numbers on the Half Tons.

Bottom line is if you need to tow ALOT, step up to a 2500 no matter what brand you want to purchase.

Safer, more capable and better equipped.

For the weekend warrior that uses a small cargo or utility trailer a Half Ton is fine.

Most Half Tons roaming the streets now days are for the soccer mom and guy buying the 10 bags of mulch from the big box stores.

Rosco, hats off to you for venturing out with that huge camping trailer and towing it with your Sierra 1500.

Are there any instances where you wish you had a 2500?

Reason I bring this up is based on what I witness with my own eyes. 

I saw so many Half Ton trucks on the way to and from our trip to Yellowstone and in the park itself towing huge trailers. 

They were struggling up the hills and creeping down them. And many did not seem to be going the minimum speed on the highways.

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, just be prepared. :thumbs:

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

There seems to be so much Emphasis on Towing and Hauling numbers on the Half Tons.

Bottom line is if you need to tow ALOT, step up to a 2500 no matter what brand you want to purchase.

Safer, more capable and better equipped.

For the weekend warrior that uses a small cargo or utility trailer a Half Ton is fine.

Most Half Tons roaming the streets now days are for the soccer mom and guy buying the 10 bags of mulch from the big box stores.

Rosco, hats off to you for venturing out with that huge camping trailer and towing it with your Sierra 1500.

Are there any instances where you wish you had a 2500?

Reason I bring this up is based on what I witness with my own eyes. 

I saw so many Half Ton trucks on the way to and from our trip to Yellowstone and in the park itself towing huge trailers. 

They were struggling up the hills and creeping down them. And many did not seem to be going the minimum speed on the highways.

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, just be prepared. :thumbs:

GM themselves puts a huge emphasis on towing.  You should be able to tow what they say you can tow without issue, but there is a huge difference in a enourmous camper or enclosed trailer and a open trailer with a bobcat on it.  

A current 1/2 ton with a max tow package is a completely different truck than a 10 year old 1/2 ton.  I'd say it's close to what you got from a 3/4 ton 15 years ago.  There is no reason a new 1/2 ton with the max package can't safely tow 9-10000lbs either, assuming gear/payload is in check.  If you have a lot of gear, put it in the trailer.