DISAPPOINTING 2019 Chevy Powertrain / Gearing options

I don't understand why, but they said 350lbs loss on Sierra, 450 on Silverado.   Perhaps the Silverado shed some sound proofing stuff.  

With the K2s you could load the truck with options and end up with around 1700lbs payload.  Pull a 12k trailer with 1200lbs of tounge weight and you can now have 500lbs of payload, plus a 170lb driver (going off memory, the driver is pre-factored in I think).  So a wife, 3 kids and you technically shouldn't have anything in the bed.  Obviously that's assuming you're towing max weight but I imagine if you got in a accident and even if it wasn't your fault you could be responsible.  

I was surprised we don't have 13k ratings on the 6.2 max tow as well, but for real world applications the capability did go up.  I think max tow 5.3s went up in towing too.  

Ford is about the same for payload, Ram was A LOT worse.  Ram got a little better but they still lag on payload.  

On the trucks people buy, GM will have higher payloads.  

Edited by shift_grind
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 7:13 PM, Wayne3593 said:

So the formula would be used to find the new gear needed to keep the overall ratio the same as factory, if I'm understanding correctly?

Yep, you got it. If you change tire size, it will calculate the axel ratio needed to keep the overall gearing the same as the original setup.

• 3 weeks later...

Trail Boss Review:

"Acceleration is good, although we wish there was a gear ratio option other than the standard 3.23s. We think the 3.42s from the Max Trailering Package or even the 3.73s from the lower-trim 5.3L/six-speed auto trucks would liven up the Trail Boss quite a bit, albeit at the expense of fuel economy—a trade-off we are willing to make."

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1809-first-drive-2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-lt-trail-boss/

• 3 months later...
On 19/05/2018 at 7:56 PM, 3737 said:

Here is a list of disappointing powertrain moves by Chevy:

Single-speed transfer case is now standard. Two-speed transfer case is available if you order the Off-road Package, which can’t be ordered with the Max Towing Package so you must choose between a two-speed transfer case or lower gearing. WTF? These should go hand-in-hand.  By the way, any legitimate truck should have a two-speed transfer case!

Chevy went with taller gearing for 2019 with 5.3L

2019 5.3L 8 Speed 3.23 with Max Tow Package 3.42

2018 5.3L 8 Speed 3.42 with Max Tow Package 3.73

The Trailboss can’t be ordered with lower gearing or 10 speed transmission or 6.2L V8, which is exactly what you’d want for turning bigger tires on a so called lifted truck. The Trailboss is advertised as having a 2” lift with 33” tires. 1st275/65R18 are 32.5” tall tires, ok rounding error. 2nd275/65R18 is a stock size on many run-of-the-mill Tundra’s and F150’s so not really that special. Trailboss gearing with 6 speed transmission is 3.42 axel ratio or 8 speed with 3.23 on 5.3L.  For comparison the Raptor has the 10 Speed tranny with 4.10 gearing propelling 35s. I realize the Trailboss is no Raptor but a Trailboss with lower gearing would be a cheap, easy place to start, and the 10 speed with 6.2L would make it a legit truck. And it is not even an option to order it. Crazy.

You must spend $1-2K on a Max Tow package to change the gearing. This should be $100 option as it was years ago or better yet a no cost option.

You must spend $50K plus on an LTZ or High country to even see the 10 speed or the 6.2L, Ridiculous! 

10 speed transmission not available on 5.3L

8 and 10 speed transmission not available on 4.3L

Ford uses 10 speed transmission on almost every motor and can be had on any trim

Ram has 8 speed on every motor, including V6, and on every trim

Ford and Ram offer a variety of gear ratios (Ford 3.31, 3.55, 3.73) (Ram 3.21, 3.55, 3.92) that can be ordered without an expensive Max Tow Package. Tundra runs 3.91 or 4.30 with its 6 speed.

Come on Chevy step it up, you are so close to making a great truck product. Make lower gearing, all engines and the 10-speed transmission available across all models and trims. Ford already does it. 

I was playing around on the Chevy website and seem to have been able to build an LTZ with 6.2L V8, max trailering package with 3.42 rear axle ratio and 2 speed transfer case. 

Based on the spreadsheet of ratios and the new lower gears in the 10 speed I wouldn’t be surprised if GM only put the slightly lower gear in the max tow package because they knew people would fixate on these ratios and ignore everything else. A single number is so much easier to bench race on.  

Heavier springs, heavier rear axle for more rear axle weight rating, sure. That means more truck and I suspect that is the real meat of the max tow package. The tiny shift in axle ratio? Not so much.

There are plenty of reviews talking about the regular 6.2L without max tow pulling 7000lbs or more without even breaking a sweat.  Seems to me that the engineers that crunched the numbers to put this thing together did a damn fine job balancing all these variables including that seemingly high rear axle ratio that matches well with what’s in front of it. 

Its not 2005. Those pumpkin gear numbers really dont mean squat now with the new trannys. GM put a much lower 1st gear starting in the 6, and just keeps adding gears inbetween. The final ratio is what you are driving with, and the truck is going to use what it needs. The 4 speed was notoriously a POS unreliable tranny which in part was caused by increased stress of pushing deeper pumpkin gears. By switching to deeper tranny gears, the driveline has become MUCH more reliable. Too many people look at a number and make a call when it really no longer applies with the new transmissions...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

No the axle ratio still means a lot.... it takes strain and load off the drivetrain regardless of the transmission ratio in front it.  It's only GM that fixates on offering pathetic axle ratios and nobody else even when the nobody else's use even the exact same transmission lol.  GM isn't running away with the towing awards either by doing it.  Big difference in pulling with a 3.73 in the back over a 3.23... or even 3.42.  I don't drive around in first gear all the time, and these trucks want 6th or 8th by like 30 mph anyway lol.  More mechanical advantage when towing isn't a bad thing but it is if you are a GM designer I guess.  

A 6 speed with 4.56's in the axles and a modest 33.5" tall tire pulls trailer like no other... offering some more gear ratio's in the trans between first and final overdrive would only make that better.  3.73's with stock height tires and the 10 speed would be a really nice combo..... oh right..... Ford offers that stock lol.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

Chevy’s are some of the highest geared trucks out of all the 2019s.  Mechanical leverage is hugely important. Its disappointing Chevy didn’t go after performance. It’s a brand new truck and is best in class in nothing.

19 hours ago, Texas Daddy said:

Its not 2005. Those pumpkin gear numbers really dont mean squat now with the new trannys. GM put a much lower 1st gear starting in the 6, and just keeps adding gears inbetween. The final ratio is what you are driving with, and the truck is going to use what it needs. The 4 speed was notoriously a POS unreliable tranny which in part was caused by increased stress of pushing deeper pumpkin gears. By switching to deeper tranny gears, the driveline has become MUCH more reliable. Too many people look at a number and make a call when it really no longer applies with the new transmissions...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Hardly. Ford uses the same 10 speed with 3.73s and Ram’s 8 speed has a similar 1st with 3.92s. 

And what massive difference do you see with the ford and that lower gear with the same transmission except a turbo motor that needs to spin to build power?

The payload, towing, drag race times, mileage—really every measure the random internet tests can dream up show not a whole heck of a lot fo difference between the two performance-wise.  Seems like maybe those GM engineers actually know what gears works best for their big NA engines in these power trains. 

Edited by flowbytwo
mobile autocorrect issues
  • Like 1

Fords tuning is also nowhere near as sluggish and lackluster as GM either.  Honestly they should fire the tuners at GM and overnight the aftermarket tuning demands would be half lol.  But that's a whole other problem to deal with beyond basics like mechanical advantage they can't figure out.