DISAPPOINTING 2019 Chevy Powertrain / Gearing options

4 hours ago, flowbytwo said:

And what massive difference do you see with the ford and that lower gear with the same transmission except a turbo motor that needs to spin to build power?

The payload, towing, drag race times, mileage—really every measure the random internet tests can dream up show not a whole heck of a lot fo difference between the two performance-wise.  Seems like maybe those GM engineers actually know what gears works best for their big NA engines in these power trains. 

Lol , why not just give us the option ? Why do we have to accept that the engineers at gm know we we don’t need any more agreesive gearing.  ,.? 

Nothing against you just seems silly not to offer them as options. Just like ford and dodge do.  

By the way the ford 3.5 ego boost is the fastest half ton out there. It has a 10 speed. 

14 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Lol , why not just give us the option ? Why do we have to accept that the engineers at gm know we we don’t need any more agreesive gearing.  ,.? 

Nothing against you just seems silly not to offer them as options. Just like ford and dodge do.  

By the way the ford 3.5 ego boost is the fastest half ton out there. It has a 10 speed. 

Well come on now... becasue the pathetic gearing is "adequate" and you should be satisfied as a GM owner with "adequate". Don't be exceptional or give anyone choice... just be "adequate". Gm has been that way for years with almost everything so why change now.  Don't give some mechanical advantage to the 6.2 and be able to beat the competition... just make it adequate lol.  

Gm fully supports the aftermarket honestly and makes others millions with their lack of OEM choice.  

And the whole "winding up" an EcoBoost truck previously stated must be from someone who has never owned or driven one.  The off idle torque with a 3.5 truck blows a 6.2 out of the water.

Edited by SierraHD17

While I do agree gm tranny programing sucks, I dont agree higher is always better for everyday driving which is what most trucks do. I did 3.08 to 3.42 swap on a 5.3 Avy with the 6L80 and kept same factory tires. I immediately noticed how much sooner it would shift out of that super low 1st. Better on the boat ramp, but not as quick 0-60. I used tow haul mode loaded, and didnt see much of a difference.

I now have factory 3.42s on my current Avy (with 6L80). I can assure you my custom tune made a larger improvement vs. that gear change. Programming is what sucks. If you tow heavy often, or increase tire size, then lower gears make sense, but hp and torque dont change with gears. Why not just go to 4.56s if there are no drawbacks?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Texas Daddy said:

Why not just go to 4.56s if there are no drawbacks?

I did.  There is none... to date it's the best thing I have done to the truck.  You need to make a noticeable gear change... not one hardly worth talking about.   Set your shift points accordingly.

Edited by SierraHD17

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, Texas Daddy said:

While I do agree gm tranny programing sucks, I dont agree higher is always better for everyday driving which is what most trucks do. I did 3.08 to 3.42 swap on a 5.3 Avy with the 6L80 and kept same factory tires. I immediately noticed how much sooner it would shift out of that super low 1st. Better on the boat ramp, but not as quick 0-60. I used tow haul mode loaded, and didnt see much of a difference.

I now have factory 3.42s on my current Avy (with 6L80). I can assure you my custom tune made a larger improvement vs. that gear change. Programming is what sucks. If you tow heavy often, or increase tire size, then lower gears make sense, but hp and torque dont change with gears. Why not just go to 4.56s if there are no drawbacks?

But did you tune for the gear change? There is no way your truck was faster with the 3:08 gears 0-60 than the 3:42 unless you never had it properly tuned for the gear change. With th 3:42 gear swap and no tune the truck would have shifted to early.

• 8 months later...

Nobody talks about the strain on the transmission, and engine for that matter, despite its relatively low gear in high range when pulling a heavy trailer filled with firewood up a rough rock incline for a mile or 2.  Or, snowplowing at very low speeds around obstacles in wet heavy snow.  High range does it, but low range is easier on the tranny and engine.  Of course, Chevy and GMC considered all this when it decided to let some of us go over to Ford for the first time since 1978.

On 5/19/2018 at 9:56 PM, 3737 said:

Here is a list of disappointing powertrain moves by Chevy:

Single-speed transfer case is now standard. Two-speed transfer case is available if you order the Off-road Package, which can’t be ordered with the Max Towing Package so you must choose between a two-speed transfer case or lower gearing. WTF? These should go hand-in-hand.  By the way, any legitimate truck should have a two-speed transfer case!

Chevy went with taller gearing for 2019 with 5.3L

2019 5.3L 8 Speed 3.23 with Max Tow Package 3.42

2018 5.3L 8 Speed 3.42 with Max Tow Package 3.73

The Trailboss can’t be ordered with lower gearing or 10 speed transmission or 6.2L V8, which is exactly what you’d want for turning bigger tires on a so called lifted truck. The Trailboss is advertised as having a 2” lift with 33” tires. 1st275/65R18 are 32.5” tall tires, ok rounding error. 2nd275/65R18 is a stock size on many run-of-the-mill Tundra’s and F150’s so not really that special. Trailboss gearing with 6 speed transmission is 3.42 axel ratio or 8 speed with 3.23 on 5.3L.  For comparison the Raptor has the 10 Speed tranny with 4.10 gearing propelling 35s. I realize the Trailboss is no Raptor but a Trailboss with lower gearing would be a cheap, easy place to start, and the 10 speed with 6.2L would make it a legit truck. And it is not even an option to order it. Crazy.

You must spend $1-2K on a Max Tow package to change the gearing. This should be $100 option as it was years ago or better yet a no cost option.

You must spend $50K plus on an LTZ or High country to even see the 10 speed or the 6.2L, Ridiculous! 

10 speed transmission not available on 5.3L

8 and 10 speed transmission not available on 4.3L

Ford uses 10 speed transmission on almost every motor and can be had on any trim

Ram has 8 speed on every motor, including V6, and on every trim

Ford and Ram offer a variety of gear ratios (Ford 3.31, 3.55, 3.73) (Ram 3.21, 3.55, 3.92) that can be ordered without an expensive Max Tow Package. Tundra runs 3.91 or 4.30 with its 6 speed.

Come on Chevy step it up, you are so close to making a great truck product. Make lower gearing, all engines and the 10-speed transmission available across all models and trims. Ford already does it. 

And your point is.......geesh.  You could have spent all the time you spent typing at the Fo_d dealership shopping instead of the long whine you posted here.  Go get what makes you happy because such a negative attitude.......well, you fill in the blank. 

I don't understand this post. I thought the higher gear ratios were better for TOWING. Not only that, they have alot of torque and can be quite spritely off the line.  When you say taller, and lower in the same paragraph what exactly do you mean?  You want to go lower than the 3.42?  While the 3.42 with the 5.3 isn't as spunky as my old 6.0L 2500 with the 4.10, I'll tell you what, it's still plenty good for a truck this size, and best part it get's 22MPG.  My 2016 with the 4.10 and 6.0L was doing 14MPG.   

I'm just wondering do you want a 4.10 or do you want a 3.42.  

You'll void your warranty but FYI, changing the gears isn't that hard of a job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyAlton said:

I don't understand this post. I thought the higher gear ratios were better for TOWING. Not only that, they have alot of torque and can be quite spritely off the line.  When you say taller, and lower in the same paragraph what exactly do you mean?  You want to go lower than the 3.42?  While the 3.42 with the 5.3 isn't as spunky as my old 6.0L 2500 with the 4.10, I'll tell you what, it's still plenty good for a truck this size, and best part it get's 22MPG.  My 2016 with the 4.10 and 6.0L was doing 14MPG.   

I'm just wondering do you want a 4.10 or do you want a 3.42.  

You'll void your warranty but FYI, changing the gears isn't that hard of a job. 

You’re the first person I’ve ever heard refer to the 6.0 as “spunky“. The 6.0 is one of the best engines ever made, but peppy it’s not in a heavy HD truck. Your 19 would mop the floor with a 6.0! 

6 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

You’re the first person I’ve ever heard refer to the 6.0 as “spunky“. The 6.0 is one of the best engines ever made, but peppy it’s not in a heavy HD truck. Your 19 would mop the floor with a 6.0! 

This is about the 8th comment I've made where you replied cause you just had to, an each time I'm scratching my head, wondering - really?   

If you didn't already now that a 4.10 has more torque and is quicker off the line than a 3.73, then any comment made is pointless.  You just have no idea. 

You mate that with a 6.0L V8, the same 6.0L with high flow cylinder heads and cathedral intake ports, as developed and used in the Corvette Z06 - then you just simply haven't been around.

Pound for pound, my 2500HD was heavier than this 1500, but not so much that the "spunk" off the line wasn't noticeable. I guarantee it was a faster truck,  first 1/4 mile.  2016 2500HD 6.0L V8 with 4.10, was darn quick off the line.   2019 1500 5.3L V8, not as fast. 

41 minutes ago, BobbyAlton said:

This is about the 8th comment I've made where you replied cause you just had to, an each time I'm scratching my head, wondering - really?   

If you didn't already now that a 4.10 has more torque and is quicker off the line than a 3.73, then any comment made is pointless.  You just have no idea. 

You mate that with a 6.0L V8, the same 6.0L with high flow cylinder heads and cathedral intake ports, as developed and used in the Corvette Z06 - then you just simply haven't been around.

Pound for pound, my 2500HD was heavier than this 1500, but not so much that the "spunk" off the line wasn't noticeable. I guarantee it was a faster truck,  first 1/4 mile.  2016 2500HD 6.0L V8 with 4.10, was darn quick off the line.   2019 1500 5.3L V8, not as fast. 

Also, not sure where the other 7 comments are. Last thing I replied to you about was giving you the email to get your build sheet?

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Your post made me scratch my head because I’ve driven both and the 6.0 is a dog. 0-60 in magazine tests was 8.5 seconds for the HD truck. If your 19 cant beat that, it’s broken. 

It had some spunk in it, was spritely off the line.  Any 8000lb+ truck that can yield 0-60 mph is moving PDQ off the line.  It's just fact, 4.10 is putting down lots more torque on the job.  
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Double Cab 4X4Compare0-60 mph 6.2 | Quarter mile 14.8
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab 4X4Compare0-60 mph 6.9 | Quarter mile 15.2

Edited by BobbyAlton