DISAPPOINTING 2019 Chevy Powertrain / Gearing options

8 minutes ago, pickmeup said:

Yes and then Jeeps are priced almost as much as trucks . lol

And they get the same MPG as a full size pick-up and ride like shit, I should know I own one.:(

I think this thread is running in two directions.

While I, and I really do, appreciate the fuel economy with a higher gear in the rear end and a xy-speed automatic, why can't I have the best of both worlds anymore?

High gears for fuel economy and a 4low option ALONG with the trailer package?

lol, I'm not a farmer or logger. But on airport projects we have to drive parallel to the runway or taxiway for various reasons and get our equipment where it's needed.

so long

j-ten-ner

There’s a lot more important numbers than the rear ends ratio. GM in my opinion has the best drivetrain options available when you actually take a closer look and stop paying attention to the rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, crafferty said:

There’s a lot more important numbers than the rear ends ratio. GM in my opinion has the best drivetrain options available when you actually take a closer look and stop paying attention to the rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure GM's engineers has done their homework on this, time will tell...:cool:

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

Well said.  There is also the part of the population who recognize that there is a point where torque and horsepower simply become numbers.  The practical number is achieved by the base power combination and the rest is for specific applications or, more commonly,  for bragging rights.   The numbers we are now hoping to beat are those we were hoping to achieve a few years ago!

exactly. 

I think the two trains of thought are "we are disappointed in GM not giving us the options we want" (read - I'm perfectly fine with 3.23 gears standard, we want an option for something better for those of us it matters for)

And the second train of of thought is "Just give them 50k, they know what you need more than you know what you want".  - I don't subscribe to that level of fanboyism.

I do agree with the fact that they build the best truck, that's why I'm upset they won't let me option it out correctly.  If I thought Ford or Ram was anywhere near as good, I'd just go buy those and not worry about it.  Point is it's reckless for a publicly traded company to be so stubborn on something so simple.  They will lose sales for these shenanigans - and for what?  What possible reason? To prove they know better than to give customers what they want?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 3737 said:

Stop crying about gear ratios? LOL. Really dude? 

Mechanical leverage is a huge deal if you really use a truck or care about performance. I have looked at the actual numbers. I didn’t break them out because, for the most part, transmissions are somewhat similar. In fact, if comparing Ford and Chevy 10 Speeds, gear ratios are all that matter because the transmission is the same. However, I will go ahead and break it out to show that CHEVY IS THE HIGHEST GEARED TRUCKS ON THE ROAD, which is really pathetic! Now, if you are just a poser and want to just look the part, good for you! Question nothing and buy a Chevy. Drive to the mall and sip your Kool-Aid along the way. For those that want to be in the know, how your truck is geared makes a HUGE difference in performance, towing, and turning a larger tire.

By the way, the Tundra’s 1stgear is 3.52 and, with a 4.30 axel ratio, is geared lower than the vast majority of the trucks GM will sell.

First Gear x Axel Ratio = Ratio in First

First gear

Axel Ratio

Ratio in 1st

Ford Raptor 10 Spd

Lowest Gearing

RAM 8 Speed

Ford 10 Speed

RAM 8 Speed

Ford 10 Speed

GM 10 Sp Max tow

GM 8 Sp Max tow

Ford 10 Speed

GM 10 Speed

Turndra 6 speed

RAM 8 Speed

GM 8 Speed

GM 6 Speed

Highest gearing

The two highest-geared trucks on this list, the GM 8 speed and 6 speed, are the only way you can get a Trailboss. Which is a shame, because I was thinking it would be a performance model, but it is just a poser compared to the Raptor.

I was getting excited about a Trailboss with 6.2L, 10 Speed and 3.73 gearing, but if GM is catering to the crossover crowd, that’s not for me. 

Thank you for taking the time to do this, it proves our point.  Too many people are stuck on comparing it to 10 year old GM trucks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy King said:

And they get the same MPG as a full size pick-up and ride like shit, I should know I own one.:(

Lol....I facking hate jeeps sorry!  Reminds me a riding in old FERD'S

I could care less about 4Low?  Really, I might have used less than a handful of times in the worst awful R-O-W conditions you could think of?  Gearing is obvious that GM is using the Transmission now with 8speed/10speed sounds more logical.......If you guys have to have 35's I mean the 80's TACO's drove with em. 4.10's and 4cly's and crap 4speeds....so what is the point?

One problem with high ratio differential gears is the contact patch between the ring and pinion gears gets smaller. If they don't want to upsize the diff, then lower gears in the transmission is the way to go.  Todays diff lubes are being stressed also because they are formulated thin for mileage so we need a large contact between gears. These new t-cases are not torque capable like the old NP 205 or Dana 300 t-cases were.

BTW......Hello, first post.........

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 4:36 PM, O_J_Simpson said:

Just follow GM's plan. Buy a 2019 now for the outstanding looks. Sure you will not like the powertrain performance but you can trade it in after the 2021 mid life cycle model year enhancements and get a better truck with the powertrain options you were wanting in 2019 until the newly redesigned truck hits the market in 2023. And then the trade in process started over again...

LOL on the mention of MCE! The new trucks haven't hit the streets yet & people are hoping for a 'do over' on the appearance.

On 5/20/2018 at 12:31 AM, j-ten-ner said:

Using my truck for work for quite a while and occasionally dragging trailers through the mud on construction sites, I've to say that this is a no go for me.

In those situations, I'm using my truck like a truck is meant to be used. And I need 4low for a) having all the wheels pulling, and b) to do it in a slow and controlled manner to not damage the trailer or the tools inside.

Some may argue that 4low won't be necessary anymore because of the gearing of the transmission. In my eye, that would make a 4low option even more desirable for me!

so long

j-ten-ner

I use 4LO quite a bit @ our woodlot. Mind you I haven't been interested in a 1/2 pickup since I had my '94 (sold in '99).

On 5/20/2018 at 7:06 AM, pickmeup said:

I guess since many trucks never work or go off road no need for 2 speed transfer case. Saves weight and of coarse money for them. When its all said and done ''trucks'' are still in a huge state of transition from trucks are for work and tough hard tasks to luxurious 4 door seating for 5 or 6 all purpose ''family '' vehicles. It really shows the transition when 2 speed transfer is deleted and gear ratio options are limited along with engine and tranny combo's. imo

Yes, they probably have (rightly or wrongly) asked focus groups whether or not they use or would use 4LO if they bought a 4WD pickup. The buyers that said no are probably more concerned w/ the number of cup holders & USB ports...

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MikeNH said:

Pathetic. GM has been doing taller gears for ages now but the single speed transfer case is a damn joke. May as well buy the Ridgeline. 

LOL, watch out Honda. GM is coming after your single speed AWD crossover business!

1st Gear Axel ratio Ratio in 1st  
GM 8 Speed 4.56 3.23 14.73  
Honda Ridgeline 3.36 4.25 14.28  
GM 6 Speed 4.03 3.42 13.78 Still the highest geared!

And these are the only two GM powertrain choices for the Trailboss.  All show and no go!