2016 Silverado Accident

Long story short, 18 wheeler failed to yield right of way and his trailer/tires did a number on my front end.  Steering wheel was ripped out of my hands, coffee flew, I cursed, no airbags.  Truck has 93xxx miles and had no issues.......threw me around the truck pretty good.  Just wondering if they decide to repair what should I be looking for. Steering column locked up and wouldn’t even turn and lights/messages I didn’t know existed popped up on the dash.

8B5A2BC2-E0AF-495E-8E58-2ED50253B586.jpeg

97F528FD-6AA0-4030-BFF7-5BA9B82350D6.jpeg

6F79E094-97A2-45B6-B76A-CF14E1626F19.jpeg

066C2519-0E96-424B-81B9-09ACE572D3DA.jpeg

Edited by Matt Andel
Photo

Long story short, 18 wheeler failed to yield right of way and his trailer/tires did a number on my front end.  Steering wheel was ripped out of my hands, coffee flew, I cursed, no airbags.  Truck has 93xxx miles and had no issues.......threw me around the truck pretty good.  Just wondering if they decide to repair what should I be looking for. Steering column locked up and wouldn’t even turn and lights/messages I didn’t know existed popped up on the dash.
8B5A2BC2-E0AF-495E-8E58-2ED50253B586.thumb.jpeg.35ef4b7870133dd0ee437b6c294dce8b.jpeg
97F528FD-6AA0-4030-BFF7-5BA9B82350D6.thumb.jpeg.0e30a2e8ddc961a24f9c43c7c98c78fe.jpeg
6F79E094-97A2-45B6-B76A-CF14E1626F19.thumb.jpeg.f8753d92407b909209537660edbc6db2.jpeg
066C2519-0E96-424B-81B9-09ACE572D3DA.thumb.jpeg.63bb553605eb3cd3bb74513d1947803a.jpeg
Yuk. The same thing accident, just happened to somebody I know you don't happen to be in Kansas City do you? What a mess on your truck. Dig deep and never sign off on anything until you get the truck back and done and everything looks and feels right

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a 2019!  So the inspector called today, the body shop pulled the from bumper back so it could be driven but the steering wheel will not turn at all so they are having another shop take a look because they cannot repair it.  Any thoughts or ideas why it won’t turn?  Trying to do my own research so I’m not fed a line of crap.  They are trying to get it towed and up on lift and check the frame.  

Would be a good opportunity for new car replacement in your insurance policy if you had it!  That really sucks, man!  I'm not sure what might cause that, maybe the steering shaft got mangled or dislodged under there.  I did have a co-worker get his car banged up pretty bad and it was just below the totaling cost, then after the repairs, he found a hole in his trunk which would have put it over the edge for a new car... so it is worth walking around underneath all around with the shop, even where you might not think, and make sure nothing else is damaged from the impact that isn't in the front portion.  Also, check the electronics and make sure all the speakers and radio/CD player stuff works!

One thing you should do is look up fair market for what you would get for an equivalent truck with the same features (including your brush guard and light bar).  Having an idea (and a defense for a higher price because of mods, condition, etc.) would not be a bad idea to have locked and loaded if they come back with a low value price.  I've never had it happen to me before, but I'm just thinking about what I would do.

• Thanks 1

Check the gaps on all four doors. Open each slowly and see if they open normally or pop up or down out of alignment when opened because they are in a bind. Check the gap and alignment between the cab and bed. Check the body lines between the cab and bed.

Looking at the hole the frame punched in the front bumper I would just about put money that the frame now has a diamond rather than a rectangular shape. It happens when one side is stopped by an impact and momentum drives the unobstructed side forward. Any reputable body shop should be able to measure and verify the squareness of the frame.

The rack and pinion is trashed. They are really pretty fragile and don't survive side impacts very well. Don't let them try to replace just the left side components. All or nothing on this one for sure.

28 years in the business. Got out 6 years ago before I finished destroying my body.

There is no such thing as a little damage when a vehicle this size is involved in an accident. Turns out my high school physics teacher was right about all of those laws of motion !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update......Steering column, rack and pinion replaced, electronic steering box replaced and aligned and then they decide to put it on frame machine only to find out the frame is “tweaked”.  One incurance adjuster fired and damages at 12000 so far, fighting to total it but that’s what the lawyer is for.

I feel your pain brother.I have not gotten to my first oil change and have already had terrible luck with idiots on the road.First hit was a 13,000 fix a drunk driver hit me, then another two other cars while fleeing from the scene, and lastly ran off on foot.Second one was a Auto Zone part delivery driver who hit my rear bumper going 30mph and that was a another 1,200 fix.Luckily since the truck was so new I didnt have to take a wash on a new one and a near by dealership covered the deductible so everything was done at zero out of pocket expense.Best of luck on your resolution

Edited by WHITESSTOWPIG

That damage repair will rear its ugly head when you decide to trade in that machine and the dealer offers much less than book due to the Carfax report. Negotiate a loss of value with that adjuster.

The trucker's insurance should be happy to pay for your truck replacement as you were not injured.  Here in Florida we have lawyers who advertise their services on house size billboards all over the place how much money they got for their clients.  They literally invite the public to sue everyone who causes an accident.    They are totally shameless.   Truckers carry high liability insurance due to damage potential their trucks are capable of.  $ 1 million+ judgements are not uncommon for injured people if it is trucker's fault and injury is serious.    

Edited by pm26

Glad you're not hurt, first of all. Looks and sounds like you should push to have it totaled. As others have said, do your HW on what the amount is that you should be getting from his insurance company.

Now to my selfish ask. If it's possible, can I have your TCM (transmission control module)? =)

I forgot about that, have had to see a chiropractor twice a week since the accident and have had one round of neck/spine injections.....2 bulging discs, have another round of injections next week.

24 minutes ago, Leander139 said:

I forgot about that, have had to see a chiropractor twice a week since the accident and have had one round of neck/spine injections.....2 bulging discs, have another round of injections next week.

If they total of I’ll yank that TCM out for ya lol

Edited by Leander139