GM Vehicles Land On Lists of Most and Least Recalled Vehicles - Guess Which the Sierra Is On

Gorehamj

iseecars highest recalls cropped.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
5-23-2018

Our colleagues at iSeeCars have conducted a new study that analyzed which vehicles are the most and which are the least recalled. The GMC Sierra made a list and so too did the Chevy Equinox. It was the Sierra that found itself on the wrong list.

iSeeCars.com analyzed data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) database as of the start of May of 2018. The group collected the number of distinct vehicle recall campaigns for each model vehicle from model years 2013 – 2017. They must drink a lot of Red Bull over at the iSeeCars HQ. The researchers then calculated the average recall rate to be 2.73 recalls/year per 100,000 units sold. Once this information was collected, iSeeCars ranked the top 5 models for recalls above average and the five with the fewest recalls below average. 

lowest recalls list iseecars cropped.png
The GMC Sierra pickup was found to be recalled four times more often than average and was the second most recalled vehicle on the list. Doing some quick fact-checking on the Sierra, we looked at the 2014 model year on CarComplaints. Although only 4 recalls for that year were shown, there were an amazing 1,849 TSBs. The Chevy Equinox was found to have the second lowest overall recall rate at about 1/10th the average rate.

Going a step further, iSeeCars then looked at the Consumer Reports' owner-reported reliability rating on the vehicles it ranked. For the two GM vehicles, there was a positive correlation. The Sierra had a very low reliability rating (2.4 out of 5) and the Equinox a very high rating (4.2 out of 5). 

*gasp*  How DARE you put Crapota on the most recalled list!  They don't make garbage, you know!  They may make crap, but they don't make garbage!! :nono:

Even though the Silverado is essentially the same truck, it is not on the list because it sells much more volume than Sierra. 

Thus having a Lower ratio of TSB’s & recalls to hundreds of thousands of units sold.

Edited by 2009GMC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely many more TSB's than recalls.  I truly think many of the TSB's should be recalls due to expense of repairs.

At least we can cruise down the road looking good in our Troubled Sierra's !!!!!  :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me put the ad campaign spin on it ;-)

Sierra - With the most “Professional Grade” TSB’s & Recalls - “Like a Pro”

Edited by 2009GMC
  • Like 1

I can kind of see this. My 16’ Sierra had to be in the  shop to address a bad catalytic converter within (@20,000 miles) 6 months of ownership, then perhaps (@24,000 miles) 2 months after that the truck would start then shut off within seconds. My dealership diagnosed it to be a faulty chassis module, (wtf is that?) only after taking a literal week.

The only real recall that had to be addressed was the seatbelt, in and out the same day.

Mind you I’m in Houston so it’s not like the techs didn’t know what they were doing. The only issue I had with the dealership was the literal fight to get a loaner vehicle, which was rediculous because they sold the vehicle to me and it’s faulty. 

Luckily, I’ve had no issues other than Apple car-play messing up but that’s on Apple for a bad 11.3 update. 

Not sure where all these recalls are coming from on the Sierras. Had an 06 from 06 to '17 which didn't have any formal recalls but did have a couple TSB's which were paid for and couple that weren't. Have a '17 & haven't seen any formal recalls so far, but did have a TSB to update some firmware.

Maybe other years, or specific models/drivetrains??

the problem that I see with iSeeCars study, is that they used Biased data from Import Reports; the Most Recalled list has over HALF the list filled with American cars (and the special contempt they have for Chrysler is shown glaringly with 4 of the 6 spots taken up by FCA vehicles) and the least recalled list is made up with mostly Asian cars (with Honda showing up the most at 3 times) and the only two American cars BOTH being on the GM Theta Platform.

My 2017 Silverado will be a year old in two weeks. The only recall it’s had was pages missing from the owners manual on how to attach a car seat. They mailed me a 4 page owners manual supplement.
I did take advantage of the TSB for backup camera brightness.
That’s it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*gasp*  How DARE you put Crapota on the most recalled list!  They don't make garbage, you know!  They may make crap, but they don't make garbage!! :nono:

Ha ha!!! Crapota? Is that like Ferd?
Toyota is far from crap. Obviously you’ve never owned one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they build reliable vehicles?  yes.  There is plenty of hard data to prove that.  Do they build lemons?  Occasionally from time to time, just like every other manufacturer out there.  Do they screw over people regarding warranty work?  YES.  Just like every other manufacturer out there.   But when they (Toyota America/USA Corporate) screw over family and friends, claiming that their products don't fail in the manner that the products did in fact fail and have such a huge ego because they think they build perfect products and stick their noses in the air at any attempt to rectify the situation, it gets personal.  As far as I am concerned, Toyota is CRAPota and I am not afraid to make it known. Oh what a feeling, Crapota. 

Note-  I realize many people on here probably feel the same way about their GM product/Truck.  If I were screwed over by GM I would probably feel the same way too.  But that has not yet happened. 

hqdefault.jpg

They have a much better track record than GM does these days, Colossus. I see alot less Toyotas in my shop than GM products. In fact, I had a 2016 Cruze in here a couple weeks back with just 45k on the clock - had multiple lean codes, and a jerky drivability issue, like a misfire. The poorly designed PCV system failed , and from what I understand, this has been an ongoing issue since the first Cruze rolled off the assembly line. Why hasn't GM addressed this issue? I suppose I could ask the same question of '07-up AFM systems in 5.3 truck engines ...

Just sayin' ... 

• Thanks 1