Potential Silverado owner...coming from a Ridgeline question

I am really close to pulling the trigger on an 18 crew cab Silverado.  I wasn’t really thinking Silverado, but they’re are some great deals, and I really enjoyed the truck on the test drive.   My question is am I wise buying knowing the new model is close to arriving, and how reliable are the Silverados compared to a Honda Ridgeline?  I tend to keep my vehicles for a longer period of time. Ty for having me, and thanks for any feedback. 

2 minutes ago, qwank said:

Not as reliable but at least it's a REAL truck. :lol:

True qwank. Haha. My friends have been harassing me for years.  I just don’t think I can pass up on the value with all the rebates now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jchoi said:

True qwank. Haha. My friends have been harassing me for years.  I just don’t think I can pass up on the value with all the rebates now. 

you're gonna love it 

One of the main reasons I went with a 2018 GM was because they seemed to have worked out the kinks since 2014. Who knows if the 2019s will have new issues or not. My last truck was a first year vehicle and an expensive mistake.

I didn’t care if I ended up with a Sierra or Silverado.. liked them both and went with the better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, busydaddy said:

Who knows if the 2019s will have new issues or not. 

They are going to make some carryover 2019s, so you'll still be able to get the current style next year.  

30 minutes ago, busydaddy said:

One of the main reasons I went with a 2018 GM was because they seemed to have worked out the kinks since 2014. Who knows if the 2019s will have new issues or not. My last truck was a first year vehicle and an expensive mistake.

I didn’t care if I ended up with a Sierra or Silverado.. liked them both and went with the better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also the 19s are ugly as hell.  But we are getting one even though I dont want one

• Like 2

I would definitely go with a later production in a generation, rather than a newer production. You don’t know the common problems or quirks associated with the new trucks, and neither does anybody who works on them, until at least a year or 2 into production. We just purchased a 17 Sierra Elevation a while back, and I did some heavy research on the truck before buying it. After you hear some of the more common issues (and the best part about a truck that’s been out for a while, is there are usually confirmed fixes or repair info related to said subject), then there are little to no surprises. I read up on what to look out for, test drove the truck, didn’t notice any red flags, and went through with the purchase. And we’ve been more than happy with the end result. So I would definitely go with the 18. Everything you literally need to know about the truck is in this forum. 

19 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Also the 19s are ugly as hell.  But we are getting one even though I dont want one

You're getting a '19?  If you want another regular cab you might have to way until the '20 models

I am really close to pulling the trigger on an 18 crew cab Silverado.  I wasn’t really thinking Silverado, but they’re are some great deals, and I really enjoyed the truck on the test drive.   My question is am I wise buying knowing the new model is close to arriving, and how reliable are the Silverados compared to a Honda Ridgeline?  I tend to keep my vehicles for a longer period of time. Ty for having me, and thanks for any feedback. 
I drove my Ridgeline for 9 years and had one hose leak thats it. Traded it in for my 16 Silverado. By 25k miles I have now been to the dealer over 30 times. 4 exhaust systems, new radio, no air conditioning for two months, 4wd selonoid replaced twice, transfer case control unit replaced, and now all the rust proof on my frame is flaking off. To make things worse, a mechanic at the Chevy dealer bought my Honda Ridgeline so I get to see it parked there taunting me Everytime I bring my Silverado in every other week or so for the next thing that breaks.

I will say a nice borla exhaust and a v8 will make you forget about all your trucks issues.

I would have bought another Ridgeline but I couldn't stand the redesign they did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, qwank said:

You're getting a '19?  If you want another regular cab you might have to way until the '20 models

Were trading in the wifes 16 tow max because she wants a new one. 

No way in hell I'm ever getting rid of my 16 RC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jchoi said:

Welcome to this forum.  You will find some good reading here.  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an '18 even with a new version coming.  I truly believe the '14-'18 GM pickups are the best all around trucks currently available in North America.  I like the looks and options available on the '19 GM's but not enough to pass on a good deal!

• Like 1