Potential Silverado owner...coming from a Ridgeline question

Hello Jchoi.  Think you will be pleasantly surprised by a new Chevy.   Nice features and gets very decent mileage if you are not too hard on the go pedal.  Check for vibrations during test drive at 70+ miles per hour.  Any vehicle can be problematic so best of luck should you pull the trigger.

I’ve bought too many new vehicles over the years, including Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, Nissans, GMC Sierras (3) and in 1982 an Oldsmobile Cutlass.

i really enjoy driving my cuttent truck, but my first ‘16 was a mechanical mess.  I’d not at all consider a first model year GM product, but recall purchasing a FMY Toyota 4Runner once that had a number of interesting problems.  So my concern with FMY would be with all brands, including Honda.

You asked about reliability over time.   In my opinion, there’s no manufacturer better than Honda in this regard.  Next, Toyota.   The rest are a moderate distance away.   Note I said this was an opinion.  

I purchased my 2018 for a great deal at Laura Buick GMC. Local dealers couldn’t come close to their price. 

My 2018 Sierra has the updates to the AC condenser that was problematic in the previous years. The 8L90 has been smooth as silk shifting (knock on wood). I only have 3300 miles on it but no complaints yet. 

Another reason to buy late in model year is you get all the updated tech (if equipped). Full LED headlights. Faster wireless charging (2018). Lane departure assist vs warning and low speed auto brakeing vs alert. I really wish these trucks had adaptive cruise control or supercruise. It seems like most requirements are there and GM left it out of this gen and put it in the 2019’s. 

I like the 2019 new generation but I know they won’t have as many rebates and will have some bugs to be worked out. Engine hp and tq specs are the same but fuel economy will be up. 2019 also has a more complex NEW Dynamic AFM system vs the current AFM that has been around since 2007. 
Edited by 2009GMC

One of my best friends came from a ridge line (rtl?), old body style not the new. He said he will never drive anything but a full size truck now that he’s switched.

I will say He did have several issues with the two ridge lines he owned, bought both new. I think he concluded they’re not made to leave the pavement, at all. He’s now been in a 16 silvy for the last 3+ years and loves it! Do miss the cooler in the bed though lol.

I’d go with the best deal and would try to steer clear of the new generation for the first year.

Hooksets are free...

My Boss has a Ridgeline ( previous smaller Avalanche looking style, not the new TRUCK version )  and he is unhappy with it.

Rides like a 1995 accord with a lift kit LOL

Bottom line, do you like the body style/grille of the 2018 or the new 2019 coming out better?

Other than that there really is not much change in the interior.

For what it is worth...

I looked long and hard at all the options in front of me when purchasing my 2017 Silverado Dbl Cab. I commute about an hour each way to work, 88kms. Although I like the styling of the Ram, we utilize their products in our Ambulance fleet and dealing with FCA is painful and has been a very expensive endeavor. This, unfortunately knocked their line of pickups out of the running for me based on my experience. I do know a lot of people who have had good luck with them and love their products. The Ecodiesel was appealing because of the mileage.

I was also pretty set on a Tundra from the beginning of my search. Despite what other people have had to say about them, I found them to be a nice looking, sturdy and strong feeling pickup. The fuel consumption was on the wrong side of the spectrum. I'm not sure why they have not updated their powertrain yet... The new Tacoma was my next up, but it was just as expensive as the full size truck, less capable for what I needed and the fuel mileage was approximately what I ended up with in the Silverado.

At the time, the F150s were on my radar and I had test drove an EB and really enjoyed the feeling behind the wheel. I also drove a buddies 5.0 for awhile and it also felt really nice and drove great. The pricing on the Fords was just nowhere near being able to touch the GM products.

The only thing I would probably have done differently if I was doing it over again, is really take a hard look at the Colorado/Canyon Diesel.

I did not look at the new Ridgeline, because it was just as expensive as a full size pickup here and it just wasn't worth it to me.

Now, after all was said and done.. I ended up in my search, taking my current truck for a test drive. It may not sound as great from the lot as the exhaust notes on some competitors and it may have a little bit of lag when you mash the pedal. All these are things that you can fix to your liking with modifications. I have not, perhaps it's because I've always ever owned GM products and I'm use to it. GM has also always treated me very well in the event that any warranty work was to be done to any of my vehicles. I really can't complain about too much.

I've had my truck for just over a year, 33, 000kms, and I don't regret my purchase one bit. Make sure you explore all your options and make a decision you're comfortable with :).

If you decide to go with the Silverado, the things I wish I had got them to toss in from the dealership would have been a leveling kit and the 275/70/18 BFG tires or the 20'' chrome wheels with the BFG tires. I intentionally opted not to get a tonneau cover and side steps from the dealer because they are incredibly expensive and I was able to purchase take offs for little to nothing ($120 for tonneau, $100 for side steps).

Good luck with your decision!

workmpg.jpg

The new ridgeline design is like taking a bull & lopping off his horns & balls - that thing is equivalent to giant leaps backwards in terms of design aesthetic relative to the last model which I think they did a really good job on.

That being said - it isn't really a truck, can't carry/tow nearly the same as a true 1/2 ton, has low power, & it doesn't have the same 4wd system.

I agree w/ other members go for the latest year of the current design, I've had 3 of these trucks (1 i immediately traded back in essentially a "swap" since it had the incorrect 3.08 rear I wanted 3.42, the 2nd 2014 was totaled @ 45k & my current third truck is a '15 loaded 4wd & 6.2) - they have some quirks/issues - but I don't think any of the big 3 are perfect. I would highly recommend getting the 6.2....there's nothing wrong w/ the 5.3 its plenty powerful & in some trims can get a 15-20% bump in power running E85, but the gas mileage is nearly identical between the 2 & resale will be better....plus it'll really put a smile on your face w/ an exhaust!

good luck

I own a 2017 5.3L 6 speed Silverado DC midnight edition. Bought new in June of 2017. I came from a 2008 Tacoma that I drove for 10 years, 185k miles. Tacoma was an excellent vehicle.

I must say I'm very happy with my Chevy. Almost 1 year in, 17k miles, and it's been flawless. No problems so far, no recalls. I'm averaging the same MPG i got with the V6 4.0 Tacoma. 19MPG all around. I like everything about it!! Go for it!

14 hours ago, Jose_Haha said:

isn't the ridgeline a Japanese El Camino?

My brother in law just bought a Honda Piolet and when we were looking it over I was very surprised to see that it was built in Alabama! So I guess Trump won't be able to tariff those either!

Edited by Likarok

That's what I don't understand is why you would pay 40 grand on a ridgeline when you can get a nicely equipped silverado or Sierra.  

Same can be said for any mid size truck in today’s world. The mid size market is a big one. Can’t really compare truck size vs cost anymore, but I still do and probably always will. I paid a little less for my fully loaded Sierra than a good friend did for his Tacoma sport model lol.

Hooksets are free...
  • Like 1

Take everything you read here with a grain of salt.  The information is endless and very good.  You will find some happy owners and some pissed owners.  There is NO truck out there that is perfect all the time.  Id make sure to test for the "Chevy Shake", 70+mph, that a PITA.  Understand that these are direct injection motors, oil consumption is real, a lot here have installed catch cans, and monitor oil level.  Learn to love Active Fuel Management (can help with MPG"s), or just get a tune to shut if off.  All in all these are sweet rides and I think you cant go wrong.  I love my truck, have own'd GM all my life. 

• Like 1

I drove my Ridgeline for 9 years and had one hose leak thats it. Traded it in for my 16 Silverado. By 25k miles I have now been to the dealer over 30 times. 4 exhaust systems, new radio, no air conditioning for two months, 4wd selonoid replaced twice, transfer case control unit replaced, and now all the rust proof on my frame is flaking off. To make things worse, a mechanic at the Chevy dealer bought my Honda Ridgeline so I get to see it parked there taunting me Everytime I bring my Silverado in every other week or so for the next thing that breaks.

I will say a nice borla exhaust and a v8 will make you forget about all your trucks issues.

I would have bought another Ridgeline but I couldn't stand the redesign they did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have a honda fanboy at work who conviently overlooks every thing that goes wrong with it (yall are trained that way as to not knock the honda perception), yet pulls out the microscope when another brand is involved. 30 times is just stupid - lemon law that shit. GM trucks are quarter million mile vehicles - just like the OLD hondas of yore before they actually started adding tech to them. Ive owned both, and Ill take a body on frame truck...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk