Sierra Exhaust Sound

Hi all, I don't know much about this so I'm asking out loud!

I'd like to get my exhaust to rumble a little bit more than it does with the stock exhaust.  Is that something that can be done changing the exhaust tip or would that have to be done with changing out the Muffler completely?

Thank you for your help.

Muffler only. I had my factory muffler removed and replaced with a straight pipe. I kept everything before the OEM muffler and everything after it. I just deleted it and I really like the sound. It’s got a rumble to it when started but it’s not loud at all while driving it. Almost no drone inside the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The exhaust tip is just for looks. To get a deeper sound your gonna need to either do a full exhaust from the cat back. Or have a shop remove your muffler and weld in a Flowmaster or magnaflow or any type you like or straight pipe. There are a few diff ways to achieve what you want. From really cheap to a full system there are a lot of diff threads on here about diff ways types and what not. I did a magnaflow kit from the cat back dual out each side. With doing this kind of mod it creates an effect called droning in the exhaust when it switches to V4 mode but that can be resolved by a Tuner or AFM Disabler. Do a search on here read all the posts tons of you tube videos of installs and cold starts.

I'm a fan of flowmaster, for the ease and cost I would find a custom exhaust shop and have them weld a new muffler in place of the factory one. I've done that on 2 past vehicles. That would run somewhere around $200? 

You could go all out and replace everything, but to keep it mostly stock and still using the fuel saving v4 mode, just swap mufflers.

Am I crazy? I do not like the dual straight out the back under the bumper exhausts AT ALL. I do like the look of dual exhausts that mimic the factory exhaust position on both sides of the truck. I just find the straight out the back under the bumper looks outta place...

• Like 1

Am I crazy? I do not like the dual straight out the back under the bumper exhausts AT ALL. I do like the look of dual exhausts that mimic the factory exhaust position on both sides of the truck. I just find the straight out the back under the bumper looks outta place...

I could not agree with you more now if the bumper had the half moons for it diff story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaychevy81 said:

I could not agree with you more now if the bumper had the half moons for it diff story.

Yes! I like the look of the Rams version because it actually looks like it was meant to be there. The random hangers under the bumper? Does not do it for me at all. Not to mention 99% of the ones I see, one tip is lower or higher than the other. That drives me bananas.

• Like 1

Yes! I like the look of the Rams version because it actually looks like it was meant to be there. The random hangers under the bumper? Does not do it for me at all. Not to mention 99% of the ones I see, one tip is lower or higher than the other. That drives me bananas.

Yea I’m OCD so I couldn’t handle that I like the kick out behind the rear tires. That’s why I went with the magnaflow kit 15350 the pipes are all black coated into the muffler as well lol.

• Like 1

Yeah i agree and its my truck hahaha I’m actually throwing on the Gibson’s Extreme so it will be dual and curved at the back bumper. That and the DT headers are on the way.

This was an experiment.

• Like 2

This is probably going to be something more than I want to do.  I'm fine with interior and exterior items but, the engine and other parts under the vehicle are a little more than I want to dance with.  I bet @pgamboa can't get this done on my truck!  :) HAHAHAHA!  Tag Phil!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueSilvyZ71 said:

I so agree with you on this... just doesn't look right. 

This is probably going to be something more than I want to do.  I'm fine with interior and exterior items but, the engine and other parts under the vehicle are a little more than I want to dance with.  I bet [mention=159655]pgamboa[/mention] can't get this done on my truck!  [emoji4] HAHAHAHA!  Tag Phil!

I’m on the same boat :). I can take my wheels off, replace shocks, but that’s about it.