Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

Getting quite a bit of pulsating and steering wheel shimmy at certain speeds at this point, 30,000 miles.  That doesn't seem very good.  I plow with the truck and I've been told plowing is hard on brakes.  What is everyone else getting for life out of these brakes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't plow and only tow occasionally so I may not be a accurate judge on brakes for these trucks.  I have 40k miles on my truck and the brakes have more than 1/2 left on  the pads.  The rotors are still smooth with no serious grooves .  I service  the brakes twice a year though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I call BS on the plowing issue.  GM has historically had an issue with cheap rotors.  My last truck had rotors replaced 2x under warranty and they still sucked.  The fix was go to NAPA and buy quality rotors.  The way to tell for sure that it's bad rotors is to put a dial indicator on them and rotate and measure runout.  The gauge will tell you the story.  Sticking calipers will often create excess heat which will ruin the best rotors so at every brake job I replace calipers.  They are not that expensive and live in a very harsh environment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on man, those are 1500 series brakes, big difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, Skeld said:

Getting quite a bit of pulsating and steering wheel shimmy at certain speeds at this point, 30,000 miles.  That doesn't seem very good.  I plow with the truck and I've been told plowing is hard on brakes.  What is everyone else getting for life out of these brakes?

 

This is going off of our rates at work, but those that drive highway are pulling 60-100k on brakes on these HD trucks.  Even our heavy towers get 50-60k on fronts.  Winter and plowing use (tends to lead to corrosion buildup on the back sides of the rotors) 40-60k.  Taking everything apart once or twice a year to lube and clean prolongs issues pretty good.  You should see the buildup of friction material in the grooved areas on brake pads. 

Edited by newdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

Come on man, those are 1500 series brakes, big difference. 

 

 

   I have no doubt that they are the incorrect parts for your exact vehicle. You would always want to verify fitment prior to purchasing the parts. That link is more of an example, rather than the exact item you should purchase. The brake pads in that link are ceramic. You may prefer semi-metallic, metallic, carbon fiber, etc. Try searching around Amazon, and sort by lowest price first. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny..I got on here to see if others were having a issue with warped rotors. My Max tow 2015 ( yes I know it's just a half ton) just started shaking when I brake from 45 and higher. Getting off the expressway is really a shaky experience. I try to cost as much as I can now.

I have about 35,000 miles on it now. I've never replaced brakes before 100, 000 miles on a truck.. Totally ridiculous to have sub par parts on these expensive trucks.

Maybe I'm pissed because I've been GM loyal all my life and each truck I've bought since my 98 has had more and more issues. Not less like should be expected.

I really felt like blowing the damn thing up yesterday. Got it back from the dealer for trans issues. Worked good for about 2 miles.

It's been one thing after the next with this truck.

It's turning into a love/ hate relationship. .. More hate as time goes on lol.

 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 12:23 PM, michigan2500hd said:

Funny..I got on here to see if others were having a issue with warped rotors. My Max tow 2015 ( yes I know it's just a half ton) just started shaking when I brake from 45 and higher. Getting off the expressway is really a shaky experience. I try to cost as much as I can now.

I have about 35,000 miles on it now. I've never replaced brakes before 100, 000 miles on a truck.. Totally ridiculous to have sub par parts on these expensive trucks.

Maybe I'm pissed because I've been GM loyal all my life and each truck I've bought since my 98 has had more and more issues. Not less like should be expected.

I really felt like blowing the damn thing up yesterday. Got it back from the dealer for trans issues. Worked good for about 2 miles.

It's been one thing after the next with this truck.

It's turning into a love/ hate relationship. .. More hate as time goes on lol.

 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Your not the only one that has this issue, I'm on my second set and ready for the third and theres only 35,000kms. I'm not hard on brakes but it seems GM cheaped out again. I could get another set under warranty but why bother if they only last for 10,000kms. Anyone have any suggestions on a good rotor that will last?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, High Country 6.2L/8 said:

Your not the only one that has this issue, I'm on my second set and ready for the third and theres only 35,000kms. I'm not hard on brakes but it seems GM cheaped out again. I could get another set under warranty but why bother if they only last for 10,000kms. Anyone have any suggestions on a good rotor that will last?

Ironically I just changed my rear brake pads ...again a few days ago. The fronts are still decent and they're the z36 Powerstops. 

I wanted the same for the rear this time but Amazon couldn't ship them before we left on vacation so I just grabbed a set of OEM pads and will probably order the z36 pads and rotors before winter. 

 

Went with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.