So back when I had cars.. lol. Seems so long ago. Anyway, different manufacturers have different blends and some are better even though they are rated the same. Is this the same for Diesel? Would Sunoco have a better diesel fuel than say Costco? I’m looking for mpg on the freeway and while towing. I was at a station that offered a highway diesel blend that was ULS so I gave it a go... I feel like the truck had gotten better MPG while towing but I wasn’t towing the same route I had done before.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only on-road diesel sold for the last few years is ultra low sulfur.  Diesel #2 is sold until winter gets too cold for it and then what you get is a blend of #2 and #1 or, if it's too cold it's #1 only (#1 diesel gives less power and lower mileage as do the aforementioned blends).  

To bring more confusion there is biodiesel which in lower percentage blends (5 or 10% during summer) runs about the same as #2 but a little cheaper.  On a trip through Oregon I found that 5% to 20% biodiesel is required there but I couldn't discern and power reduction and the mileage was as good as I've ever gotten.  I have no idea how they will deal with the winter blend.

A benefit of biodiesel is that it lubricates and cleans the fuel system.

• Like 1

no such thing as a top tier diesel fuel, only gasoline.  That being said, Costco does ok with their diesel fuel, I would have no issue using them, or one of the major brands.  Despite that, I'd still be sure to run some good additive in it, both in winter and year round. Stanadyne is my choice. 

• Like 1

no such thing as a top tier diesel fuel, only gasoline.  That being said, Costco does ok with their diesel fuel, I would have no issue using them, or one of the major brands.  Despite that, I'd still be sure to run some good additive in it, both in winter and year round. Stanadyne is my choice. 

What type of additives are we talking about? I had a guy tell me to add corn oil to my fuel, 1 cup, to tank of fuel. Seemed pretty odd to me... but his old as dirt diesel prospector is still chugging along with over 500k miles he says.

Lots of things that were done on old mechanical fuel injection systems probably wouldn't be the right thing on today's common rail systems. 

Maybe that's why so many mechanical diesel pumps/injectors had to have injector and injector pump rebuilds if they were to keep the systems at a good performance level. Maybe a lot of those things weren't a good idea back in the day either.

9 hours ago, Colossus said:

GM thinks it's called: 

"Premium Diesel Fuel
Premium Diesel Fuel (FQP-1A) corresponding to the Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA) Recommended Guideline may provide less noise, better starting, and better vehicle performance, but is not required."

I never use additives, other than what is supplied in the pump fuel.

I don't buy fuel from discounters - because part of the price reduction may be due to not having as good an additive package as the major brands.  

• Like 1

Just an FYI I ran almost exclusively B20 biodiesel in my 2011 LML.  It is up to 150K now and runs strong..  Probably 80% of the fillups were at a local station.  I ran into a fuel engineer that was at the pump one day as he was sampling.  It is a private label sold at Mobil.  Said the bio helps with lubricity especially on the long haul trucks. 

There was a study done about 8 or 10 years ago comparing diesel aftermarket additives and there impact on lubricity.

Many of the them made it worse.

Bio was the best, or one of the best, lubricity improvers.   

LML and L5P are both approved for use with up to B20.  (20% biofuel)

Caution should be used if the vehicle sits for a long time because bio doesn't store as well as non-bio.

Caution should also be used in cold (below freezing) temperatures, since biofuel will gell earlier.

Pumps can have up to B5, without labelling.

If dispensing B5 thru B20 they must be labelled and must meet a ASTM fuel standard for biofuel blends (ASTM specification D7467)

Waaazooo,

First, thanks for your service.  

Your post raises a question.  You mention a station offering "highway" diesel blend.  This made me wonder if you were in a rural setting where they sell highway diesel and "Red" (non-highway) diesel?  If that is the case, you need to use highway diesel as Red diesel is for use only in vehicles used in agriculture or non-highway settings.  If that is not the case, I wonder what they were talking about as I have never seen multiple grades of diesel fuel.

The advice I have always heard and followed was to buy diesel only from stations/dealers who do a good volume of diesel sales as small volume stations are more prone to have diesel that has set for long periods of time which can lead to decreased quality.

Buying from Sunoco, Costco, Sam's, Phillips or other stations where you see others buying diesel is usually a good sign that their fuel is reasonably fresh.

• Like 1

Some locations have pumps for both #1 and #2 diesel, so you can 'create' your own blend depending on temperatures expected where it is gong to be consumed.

Other areas just change to a 'winter blend' suitable for where it is sold and don't offer the create your won option.

There is an ASTM standard for 'premium diesel in the US.  Dmax lists the standard number, supplement says it's not needed. I've never noticed it at a station.

I have come across a fuel station that had separate pumps for dyed fuel -- of course with lots of 'off-highway use only' warning labels stuck all over it.  

All diesel manufactured/sold in the US and Canada is now ULSD, suitable for use in a Duramax.

'Off-road' diesel is also ulsd, because off-road diesels are also subject to the new emission rules (even though implementation was staggered).

Off-road diesel is dyed red because it does not have the highway tax paid on it.  Your DPF equipped and DEF using farm and construction equipment run dyed fuel without issue.

Most  states/provinces is is illegal to run dyed diesel in an on-road vehicle -- but t won't hurt the truck or emissions equipment. 

Some areas the tax revenue folks will dip tanks in search of dyed fuel.

• Like 1

Propel Fuel out in California has some very interesting fuel.  I wish it was over here on the east coast.  I would really like to try it.  Sounds like a win win.  To me the issue with diesels today and all this emission crap is we have to compensate for the crappy fuel we have to put into our tanks.  If they would start making a high quality fuel then that wouldn't be as much of an issue.  Kind of like E85.  That stuff burns clean.  I'm sure the same can be done with diesel. Just that big oil doesn't want to spend the money on it. They like raking in the $$$$$$$ as it is on crappy fuel.

• 1 month later...

I avoid any diesel fuel that has a biodiesel percentage of 10 % or higher. Would prefer 0%, but doubt that is readily available at this point.  I always add diesel injector cleaner, which cleans and lubes the injectors.  When towing a Cetane booster is added.  

Danger, danger Will Robinson. When in Oregon watch the gas station attendants like a hawk.  I had to stop one of them from putting gasoline in my truck.  I have heard numerous stories about others that have had the same experience. I actually prefer to fill my truck myself, but it is legal to do so, but most of them have a hissing fit when you do. 

Maybe times have changed. In the early 2000s to the mid 2000s all we burned was bio diesel. We had tanks with filters and added filters to the trucks. We had so much used motor oil and hydraulic oil it was a no brainer. We finally quit driving diesels the only reason we quit doing it.

• 1 month later...