Am I Insane?

First post on this forum. I am in the market looking for a truck to go along with my daily driver, It wouldnt be used terribly often just for camping trips in the summer, during bad weather in the winter and to do truck stuff. The rest of the time I would be driving my daily driver Challenger. I found a 2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ for sale for a great price locally that has very very high mileage, 185k to be exact. The truck was owned by a commercial company of some sort, 1 owner and has great service records that can be verified through the chevy dealership that has it for sale. I have not gone and looked at the vehicle yet but my question is to the people of this forum, is this just insane or is this truck reliable enough that with good service history I could swing a decent truck at an unbelievable price? Maybe some things I should look at when looking at it as well that could tip me off to some problems lurking as well? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.

What’s really the expected life?   185k commercially used seems like a lot to me for any vehicle.  You need to budget some big maintenance dollars into your overall purchase/life cycle calculation.   

The police force have no vested interest in any vehicle but do have immaculate service records along with very high mileage.  I have known many people to take advantage the vehicles even police officers and they had used them or their family members for years?  185K on a 5.3L L83 is nothing son....these engines are that good I guarantee it.  You can buy that truck confidently and try to get another 500.00 off!  and rock that thing! 

Have it gone over nicely by an independent repair facility before purchasing it.  Also realize that the tranny is going to be tired and may be on it's way out. 

Things to consider:

suspension wear, squeaks or thumps?

sloppy steering, ball joints, tie rod ends?

sloppy shifts?

vibrations, noises in the cab?

smells in the cab?

labels worn off the switches and knobs?

bed all scratched up with dings and dents?

wheels scratched or scuffs on the tires?

Seats worn out?

noises under the hood?

Lots of people get a lot more miles out of them with good maintenance, but wear items and "cosmetics" can drive you nuts.

Depends on miles you drive, price and ifs it’s your only ride. My attitude towards vehicles may be different than most. I have a toy that’s is a truck I bought on EBay for under 10K a 92 Chevy. That allows me to drive a boring reliable new Camry. Those two together cost me 27K. There’s not a new performance car that’s a V8 anywhere for that. The truck gets about 1000 miles a year put on it, the Camry about 20K. I’ve probably put 2K$ in the truck in up keep in 7 years. I’ve owned it. Having one new V8 performance car during that time period would have cost me a much more. Get your calculator out and work the numbers you’ll get your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the vehicle I drive right now is a 2015 Dodge Challenger scat pack with 13k miles on it. So this vehicle would be far from a daily driven vehicle. Im just looking at getting a truck as having just the Challenger is quite frustrating when needing a bigger vehicle and came across this. Im going to just go out and look at it and see what the overall condition is at least.

Wasn’t meant to be.

Their are lots of trucks for sale!

Autotrader, cars.com, For sale section of this site, Ebay, Craigslist. 

Unless it was for for a  really really great price , you are lucky it sold , I would not have even thought about a high mileage Truck, when i search for a vehicle its 50k or less  ,185 K   I don't care its at the end of its time ,Its one thing to own one and put the miles on it ,Its another buy someone else's miles,

Our company auctions off a lot of GMC 1500 ,some fords late models "14 and newer  and they usually are at 200k to 250k and they will probably last longer but you would have to keep driving them the same,!  if you let them sit and tow once in a while ,I believe they would start breaking down, a couple of employees bought  trucks cheap from the Boss  and still are driving them but a couple the transmission went and others had to get expensive repairs , I mean that could happen to a brand new truck, but I think less miles the  better your chances of breaking it into your driving habits and lasting ,

What was the asking price for the truck ? I would think under $10,000 I would consider LTZ with high miles , 

Edited by Artie61

On 5/26/2018 at 11:25 PM, mookdoc6 said:

The police force have no vested interest in any vehicle but do have immaculate service records along with very high mileage.  I have known many people to take advantage the vehicles even police officers and they had used them or their family members for years?  185K on a 5.3L L83 is nothing son....these engines are that good I guarantee it.  You can buy that truck confidently and try to get another 500.00 off!  and rock that thing! 

How can you gaurantee it, the l83 has been out since 2014